1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens Treetop walkway - wobbly, but fun

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by editor, Aug 31, 2011.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. boing!

boing! hairy cheese eater

I've been meaning to go to this for a while - looks great from the pictures.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It is well worth a visit. It can get a bit wobbly though!

4. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

It was very wobbly when we went and I am not great with heights.
    Very glad I got up there though as it a was lovely view.

It was great to see little kids bounding along with nothing to fear while the adults where clinging to the edge :)

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  5. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Looks like a piece of piss compared to a canopy walkway I've been on.

Still want to go on though :D

6. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

Yes, I enjoyed it and wasn't too bothered by height or wobbles (I must have been having a brave day!)

7. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

I went to Kew (first visit; I had HRP Membership and wanted to visit Kew Palace) in May. The Tree Top Walkway was on my list of things to do. When I got to it however I thought no way in fuck am I going up there! I did attempt to climb the stairs but chickened out part way up.

8. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I couldn't go up there! I'm getting tense just looking at the photos!!

9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I could manage that fine. It looks very solid.

It is Go Ape that bothers me.

At Go Ape, recently :

[​IMG]

10. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

I watched my nephew having his 10th birthday party at Go Ape. I nearly shat my pants :oops: I like the idea of the treetop walk but I'm a bit shite with heights so I suspect it's going to be a theory forever

11. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang.

Looks ace. :cool:

marty21 likes this.
  12. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

I have pretty extreme vertigo, but I love Kew and I just have to go up the walkway!

13. Arline Ryan

Arline Ryan New Member

The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew has a vital role in conserving the diversity of plant life on the planet and providing world-class research scientist in plant life and the impacts of climate change. Kew wide range of life and preserve plant exhibits also makes it a popular tourist attraction that brings joy to many visitors.

14. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Bit cut and pastey that, Arline Ryan. :hmm: The second sentence is very clunky and all.

Anyway, I went with a school group but the disability access isn't working so I had to stay at the bottom with the pupils with mobility difficulties which was a bit meh :(

15. Boris Sprinkler

Boris Sprinkler Jizz Lasso

Yeah, only like 2 years ago (or maybe even earlier). Can't you post something new?

It's not recommended with a hangover on a windy day. Does give a different perspective on the trees though

16. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Ive been to go ape. Was awesome fun, basically flinging ourselves of the platforms and hoping for the best (and checking the stewards weren't looking, but i think they knew we were gonna mess about and turned a bit of a blind eye).

17. Minnie_the_Minx

Canopy Walkway looks like a piece of piss. That however, no way.... :eek:

18. gosub

gosub ~#

especially as the rope on the right of the picture isn''t attched to anything:eek:

19. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

:eek:

Is it on the original pic like that?

20. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

The Kew walkway looks brilliant.

Is it included in the general admission price?

Oh - I just checked and the general admission is now £13.90. :eek:

When I lived in the area the the early 80s, it was something like 10p to get in, which you shoved into a slot on the turnstile. We'd get the Sunday papers, go to Kew Gardens, find a nice spot, then head to a pub on the green or along Strand on the Green.

21. Minnie_the_Minx

I've just spent the last hour on TFL and Nstional Rail website as I had plans to take a friend to Kew but have now come across this

:mad::mad:

22. Minnie_the_Minx

I went to Kew today, but was too knackered to go on the walkway :oops:

Lift is still out of order

23. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

It was out of order when i went over a year ago - has it worked since then??

24. Minnie_the_Minx

Probably not according to the below on their website.

I would normally have had no problem going up but my legs were fucked from pushing wheelchair around for 4 hours

25. tufty79

tufty79 1979-2015. R.I.P.

bloody hell - looks like it's been going on for over three years
    sort it out, kew :mad:

26. Minnie_the_Minx

and I know it was 1987 that the Princess of Wales Conservatory opened, but what were they thinking? How inaccessible is that for wheelchair users? :mad::mad:

I ended up having to hump wheelchair up and down stairs everywhere in there :mad:

Fair enough with the Palm and Temperate Houses as they were built ages ago, but that was only built in the 80s

My legs are still fucked :(

27. collectordave

collectordave Member

The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew has a vital role in conserving the diversity of plant life on the planet and providing world-class research scientist in plant life and the impacts of climate change. Kew wide range of life and preserve plant exhibits also makes it a popular tourist attraction that brings joy to many visitors.

What a twee statement just seems to not be true anymore. Expensive and is now just like any other garden with lots of taxpayers money to spend. Go to Wisely instead to see real gardens.

Have they actually got the treetopwalkway lift going yet?

28. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Just looked on their website and it would appear not!

29. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

delete

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  30. collectordave

collectordave Member

Damn! The last time I knew about the lift it was still under warranty just a problem that it would not ascend correctly and the emergency telephones did not work as planned. Should have been fixed in a couple of months.

I heard one theory that a disabled ramp shoiuld be built, obviously a little crackpot to rise 80m it would need to start about a mile away!

Five years later the facilities management at Kew still seem to be failing even after handing the management of their facilities over to first an American company and now to a French company what on earth are they doing about it?