Keith Flint of The Prodigy dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by rutabowa, Mar 4, 2019.

1. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

Shit man RIP - Another legend lost. I'm genuinely sad about this...

2. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Very sad. They were the punks of the rave/techno scene. Seminal. RIP Keith x

3. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

I wish I'd been there to see that gig. I was so excited about it that I spent the whole day that day watching bands on the Pyramid stage, so I could be down the front for when they came on. I enjoyed Dennis Pennis before them, and the Bishop of Bath and Wells giving a speech before their gig too iirc, but when they came on the crowd surged forward, I realised I'd not eaten anything all day, and nearly passed out in the crush. Had to get a security person to pull me out over the barrier and just go and sit down in the market with some food. Gutted!

4. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

RIP - very shocked by this.

Like a few have already said - he was great. I'm 49 soon, ffs Keith, all men, all women - talk - please.

5. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese Be who you needed when you were younger

I don't think I've seen another act so charged with energy. Wonderful memories, live and through the headphones over many years.

It's sobering to learn he took his own life. This shit is real and we need to be much more aware (especially as men) to look out for each other.

I had a spate of my old college mates from the mid-90's messaging each other today. All feeling sad and a lot older, but reliving those charged up, optimistic and happy times. Memories too deep to forget.

6. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

as i was coming out of the train station this evening a middle aged Indian guy was walking in and just as we passed each other he growled 'Twisted Firestarter' to himself under his breath. absolutely made my evening.

7. RIP, Keith. Feeling my age today.

8. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

Had to share this epic tribute post from the Guardian comments. One of the acts you wish you had seen live.

Guys profile.

9. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Feeling really fucking sad about Keith dying. Kind of feels like the end of a massively important stage of the original rave generation's lives. I saw the Prodigy in 1991, just before Charly hit, when they were in harlequin suits, gangly legs and crazy dancing, and again last November, still the kings of rave with added fuck you punk attitude, an audience of faithful 40something pill heads keeping the vibe alive.

So fucking glad to have had them as a constant through growing up. Keeping it real.

Gutted :( RIP you fucking nutter :)

10. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

That's a great shot - and a really human pic of Keith.

11. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

620BA852-162F-4F60-BBAC-3ED7B801CAD7.jpeg Poor sod.

12. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Very sad. Another music star taking their own life.

13. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

spitfire likes this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I went for a slog around the park at lunchtime, listening to an old bootleg. Keith was singing "I got the poison, I got the remedy"

spitfire likes this.
  15. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Thank you.

What really struck me was the rapport between Keith/Maxim and the audience. This was much more than rock star posturing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

Was sad to hear this news. I don't really have anything brilliant to say, other than it being tragic. Saw them perform a few times at various events over the years. My condolences to his nearest and dearest.

17. twentythreedom

18. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Heard the news on Facebook. Keith Flint is one of those people who contributed to the soundtrack of my life. I haven't had the privilege of seeing The Prodigy live, and I hope it doesn't come across as selfish to express my regret at no longer being able to experience the full ensemble.

RIP Keith, my life was one of the millions that your work has touched.

19. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Kipping in the dunes

I was there, they were delayed coming on stage and after about 45 minutes (iirc) the crowd was getting quite ramped up and I got fed up waiting and left. Can't remember where to, not Oasis. Wish I'd stayed.

Yossarian likes this.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Toast

This is banging. RIP Keith.

21. twentythreedom

22. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

nice story, but it's britpop revisionism - The Prodigy & Oasis fanbase always had a massive crossover, and they had been headlining rock festivals for years by 1996. Music for the Jilted Generation was the Prodigy album all the indie fans got into, not Fat of the Land.

23. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I didn't even like Fat of The Land all that much. Except for 'Smack My Bitch Up' and 'Funky Shit' which are both ace tunes. I don't mind much of it but Firestarter and Breathe were so overplayed on the radio and telly it began to get irritating.

Also, by the time it came out, they'd stratosphered into mainstream pop culture and Flint had been marketed as some kind of punk characature rather than the awesome dancer who partnered with Leeroy on much of the Experience/Jilted Generation years which I loved.

Of course none of that is Flint's fault. He was by all accounts a throughly sound guy. But there was a clearly massive shift between '95 and '96 when Firestarter was released. For me, their peak was Glastonbury '95.

24. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Yeah, Fat of the Land isn't a great album. First two are peerless, I've never had any reason to bother with anything past that. They were still amazing live tho.

25. Just said on the radio he hanged himself :(

Frau Bahn and I had a right good mash-up in our front room on Friday night, worked our way right through the Prodigy's music, dancing like loons.

RIP nutta.

planetgeli and skyscraper101 like this.
  26. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Knew it had to have been something that was beyond doubt, given what Liam so publicly said :(

27. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

28. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Always brings back memories of the Claremont Rd eviction. Clinging to a chimney as swarms of riot cops swept into the street whilst the Prodigy blasted from the scaffolding tower.

Thanks for the soundtrack to an astonishing memory Keith.

29. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Lydon (looking a bit worse for wear) on Flint.

30. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

I saw The Prodigy several times between 1992 and 1996 and they were definitely my favourite live act for a while, during the mid-1990s when metal and punk almost died.

There's nothing I can say about KF and what he's done and how I feel, that's not being said. Another sadness in a tragic fucking world.