Keith Flint of The Prodigy dead

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by rutabowa, Mar 4, 2019.

1. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

I've seen him several times with The Prodigy, he always gave a good performance.
    RIP Keith :(

Badgers and kazza007 like this.
  2. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

What a shame. I saw the The Prodigy live, at least 3 times and he was very much a part that made sum more than those combined

3. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I never ended up seeing them - I was lamenting just a few days ago that seeing Oasis instead of the Prodigy at Glastonbury 1995 was probably the worst decision I ever made.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  4. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

I did stifle a giggle then. The boy chose wrong.

skyscraper101 and Yossarian like this.
  5. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

Not him on vocals, I don't think, but still most fitting tribute song I can think of.

sojourner likes this.
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

This is a really good watch - comes across as a nice guy (With Richard Russel from XL)

RIP
    not enough people like him (like us?) in pop music

7. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

This has made me sad. 49 is no age.

RIP Keith

8. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Fuck me thats just awful

9. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

jilted generation and experience blew so many minds in UK it's unreal. which albums could chart and do that today? Rip you nutter.

10. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Radicalised hand-wringing liberal ultra-remainer.

11. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

RIP - very young age to go.

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

13. spirals

spirals Something uber witty here.

14. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

*edited for stating the fucking obvious* still :(

15. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

It is a good interview, especially on the trajectory from exclusive to inclusive as acid moved from central London to the suburbs & up north. You're right, he was one of us. He got it. The heart, the point, the purpose of raving was dancing. If you wouldn't dance, you couldn't join in. And he encouraged everyone to be a dancer, with a giddy shuffle & a cheeky wink. Saw them a couple of times in 91/92 ish, PAs at Shelleys & playing the Apollo in Mcr. Terrific, proper pied pipers, gigs full of wired kids producing a mad energy that always spilled out onto the streets & carparks beyond. His inclusivity stretched to his bike racing, his pit was always accessible. A good egg.

16. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Aye, a real shock, younger than me. I can't listen to the Experience without rushing me tits off to this day.

17. S☼I

S☼I those funny little plans that never work out right

Shitty news
    Saw them in 97 and though the atmosphere was a bit much for me they were definitely a spectacle, and I remember the boozer I used to drink at (a former ferry The Lincoln Castle, sister ship to the Tattershall) took "Breathe" off their jukey cos it made the deck outside vibrate so much and we'd regularly have it on a few times in an afternoon).

RIP Keith

marty21 likes this.
  18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery Banned

First saw him at Bugjam 1994. Seen the Prodigy a shit ton number of times since. Big fan.

He might have not been the musical talent but he brought live performances to life like no one else.

Always thought he was substantially older than me. It's disturbing to learn that he wasn't and sad that he died before his time.

I don't know if I want to wish him to rest in peace or not. Part of me thinks he'd be like fuck peace let's rave.

kazza007 and skyscraper101 like this.
  19. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

The ? mark was because he was a one off and on one level in a world of his own...in time I think the rest of the band are about to find out how totally irreplaceable he is

20. Idris2002

Idris2002 Well, there goes the frying pan theory.

This is brilliant:

That's odd, tweet didn't embed fully. Text is here:

"Keith Flint kept a swearbox above the fire in the pub he used to own (The Leather Bottle in Pleshey, Essex). Whenever he put the logs and kindling in and someone piped up with the obvious joke, he'd point to it and charge them a quid. RIP."

mojo pixy, Ming, Riklet and 27 others like this.
  21. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

first gig I ever went to. RIP

22. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Well-Known Member

Just heard the news! :(

Rave on Keith, you fucking legend!

Voley, farmerbarleymow, Edie and 5 others like this.
  23. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

I got caught in the mad traffic of Phoenix Festival 1996, so arrived on the Thursday evening just as the Prodigy were finishing. I was gutted to miss them, so I wrote to them on their tour that autumn to ask them to sign my copy of experience, and they send it back signed, along with a note that I was now on the guest list for their Wolverhampton shows. :cool:

The shows were phenomenal, still the best gig I've ever been to, but before the gig I was just hanging around outside the venue, when Keith Flint called down to me out of a window and just started chatting away. He'd just become really famous as a result of Firestarter, so I was a little starstruck, but I've never forgotten just how down to earth and friendly he seemed, taking the time to stop and say hello to people out of nowhere. Genuinely shocked he's gone.

ck, eatmorecheese, albionism and 23 others like this.
  24. That gig is easily in my Top 3 of all time.

When they came on stage Keith ran out in a massive inflatable ball and ran over the heads over the crowds, cut himself out halfway out and then crowdsurfed back.

All in the intro to the first song.

ck, eatmorecheese, albionism and 12 others like this.
  25. ruffneck23

I remember that, on last count I think I've seen them around 12 times ( the only band I would ever count myself as a superfan) including festivals, I think this one tops em all

AverageJoe likes this.
  26. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

RIP Keith!

Was it suicide? As I just saw this on the BBC page
    "In a post on The Prodigy's official Instagram account, bandmate Liam added: "I can't believe I'm saying this but our brother Keith took his own life over the weekend."

27. ruffneck23

I posted this upthread then realized it was in the actual post upthread #40

28. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Was probably their peak too. Had it on video off Chanel 4 for years and they were on fire that night. The golden period Post-Jilted Generation, Pre-Fat Of The Land. Before they went all tough-punk, but after they were done with the harlequin suits. Leeroy was still there too.

Yossarian, AverageJoe and ruffneck23 like this.
  29. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

Edit, been said. Rip x

30. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Bringing YOU round.....

My team all in shock at work. Very sad. Same age as me.:(
    I'm going raving on Sat, hope there is a tribute to him .