June 2018 Photography Thread

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by dweller, Jun 3, 2018.

1. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I took this at 1/160s and looked at on large the biker's hands aren't sharp, they look a little better if I sharpen the pic, but someone was telling me that I could go up to 1/500s and still have movement in the wheels, what do you think, would I lose the panning effect on the background if I went that fast?

2. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

Only one way to find out! I’d say you’d still get the pan effect.

3. weltweit

Hi Mr.Bishie, yes, next chance I get I will experiment.
    That time at 1/160s on the camera LCD it looked sharp honest :)

4. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

The faster the shutter speed, the less you'll see of the 'panning effect', assuming you pan the camera at the same speed.

5. weltweit

Hi RoyReed, yes I know the faster the shutter the less the panning effect, I want a shutter slow enough for background blur (and wheels) but fast enough for a sharp subject, and of course at different points on the track the motorbikes are going quite different speeds which is an added aspect.

That photo of the red and white RD500 Yamaha was at one of the faster parts of the track, there are a couple of very slow corners where they are almost a running pace. Not sure my next chance to have a go at motorbikes, I am presently trying to find out all my local tracks and what they have on.

6. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

If you match the speed of the bike with the speed your pan, the bike will be sharp. What won't ever be sharp are the wheels, unless you set a very fast shutter speed (1/1000+), and then you won't get much background blur.

7. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

On the other hand, just don't worry about what's blurred. Here's examples from two of the best photographers ever.

Lartigue1.jpg
    Jacques Henri Lartigue

haas8_creation.jpg
    Ernst Haas

weltweit likes this.
  8. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Went to The Greenwich Royal Navy college last night for a concert. Had time to kill.

Cutty Sark.

upload_2018-7-6_12-5-5.png

weltweit and a_chap like this.
  9. weltweit

The trouble is that there is also an angular thing going on, take panning for that bike going from left to right, during the time slot the shutter is open the front of the bike is moving away from the camera and the back is moving towards. A fast enough shutter speed solves this but with the known side effects.

10. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

oi ya bastards, it's July!

a_chap likes this.
  11. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie BeRightOn

Kick off a new thread then,