June 2018 Photography Thread

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by dweller, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Infidel Castro

Infidel Castro Producto Falso

Mad it was. Mangled his bumper right up. It was a gorgeous night too. At least the poor bastard sheep didn't have to go the way of the abattoir. Probably knew nowt about it.

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Some that OzT might like:
    DSC_6432w.jpg
    DSC_6465w.jpg
    DSC_6473w.jpg
    DSC_6492w.jpg

Duncan2, Chilli.s, Nivag and 4 others like this.
  3. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Cheers weltweit! :)

Top 2 the high cam Vello, not sure what the 3rd one is, and botton 750 Commando which I have one as well!

Cheers mate!

weltweit likes this.
  4. mhendo

mhendo Aussie in San Diego

I like that. You probably need to cut your exposure time by about one-third to one-half, if you want to avoid the tiny star trails and get points of light instead.

Of course, I'm not one to give advice on it. I still haven't made any forays into astro-photography, but I'm going to give it a shot in the next month or so.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Infidel Castro likes this.
  5. weltweit

Me too .. definitely interested in it, just ordered a cable release Sunday for long exposures.

6. weltweit

But I need to learn properly how to work with layers in elements because I have something that for me is quite tricky to do with part of the image I am going to make.

I have been having a play with layers but at the moment I can't yet get them to do what I want them to do! GRRRR.

7. Infidel Castro

Yep, based on calcs I should have been about 5 sec or so shorter on exposure time. There's a little trailing beginning to show for sure.

8. mhendo

My wife had to do some research at the Huntington Library, in San Marino, California (just outside of Los Angeles). The Huntington has massive amounts of money, and in addition to the library and museum, they maintain one of the most amazing gardens you'll ever see. While the missus did her work, I spent a couple of days wandering the gardens taking pictures.

I'll post some flora, then some fauna. Hope this isn't too much? If you want to see the whole set, you can find it here.

Flora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duncan2, dweller, Nivag and 5 others like this.
  9. mhendo

10. weltweit

11. Infidel Castro

Sneaky shot up the hills the other day...

dweller, Chilli.s, a_chap and 6 others like this.
  12. mhendo

Nice! Very long exposure. Was it really dark, or did you use a neutral density filter?

I see from some of the other pics on your Flickr account that you've got a Tamron 150-600. How do you like it? I've been contemplating a budget super-telephoto zoom, and tossing up between the Tamron, the Sigma Sport 150-600, and the Nikon 200-500.

13. Infidel Castro

Yeah, sorry, got a Gobe screw in ND filter on the fuji in this shot. Good shout. Re the Tamron, I've never had the pleasure of a big old Canon L lens, so can't compare. However, as a novice/enthusiast, the Tamron shows up really well for me. Maybe for people with better technique and stuff a faster and sharper prime is the way to go, but it's a lens I'm still growing into. The next one up in the range, the G2 I think, is supposed to be better yet. They're really well regarded. The Sigma Sport is pricier but sealed.

14. Infidel Castro

If you use Instagram, chuck me your handle. Mine is antique_eruption. There should be a fair few Tammy nature shots on there and you can see what you think. I rarely use Flickr. Should do though. Will use it more in future.

15. Infidel Castro

BTW, I use the Tammy with a 70d crop these days. I've used it with a 60d crop, 6d full frame, and 7dii crop and I'm completely of the opinion that the only improvement that can be made to the lens at this point is my skill set. I say the same re the cameras too. I'm not a pro so I've dropped back down to the 70d from the 7dii. Far too much tech wizardry on those things for a chancer like me. I shoot manual or AV, so the 70d does everything I need with a few setup tweaks. It also has the articulated screen. And finally, I tend to shoot the Tammy at f8 and just below 600mm. But the crop sensor gives me the extra reach. Sharpness at the widest aperture isn't brilliant, so I'd rather f8 and higher ISO, set to auto 100-3200. I can stomach a bit of noise over the alternative.

16. Infidel Castro

Some incredible images there by the way mhendo

Duncan2 likes this.
  17. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Infidel Castro .Bumped into Kev and Scotty last night at the PiL gig in Tramshed! Apologies for off topic post!

18. Infidel Castro

Ha, quality hijacking! Could be wrong, could be right, etc. Happy times. Hope you/they are well.

19. mhendo

I've never had an Instagram account. Probably should, but never got around to it. I've been on SmugMug for a few years now; I believe they just bought Flickr, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of any connections between the two.
    I hear you. It's pretty easy to get quality images at high ISO with modern cameras. I remember my first digital camera, a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. The ISO only went up to 800 I think, but that was basically unusable; you really had to stick with 100 or 200.

My first DSLR was a Nikon D50, and 800 or above got pretty dodgy. Now, on the D7200, I think nothing of cranking up to 1600 or 3200, especially if the light is reasonably good and I'm just looking for a fast shutter speed. I find noise is more noticeable in darker conditions, or with darker colors, but even then it's not intrusive and can be smoothed in Lightroom without sacrificing too much in the way of sharpness and detail.

Infidel Castro likes this.
  20. Infidel Castro

You'll smash the Tamron. Worth a punt. You can largely make back any outlay on the lens if you want to ditch it later too. Just give it a whirl.

21. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Testing out my new phone, Motorola G6.
    The view from One Tree Hill, Honor Oak Park
    Converted to B&W with SnapSeed.
    IMG_20180623_155955552_HDR-01.jpeg

22. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. mhendo

Here's a few I snapped at the San Francisco Pride parade on Sunday. More in a gallery here, if you're interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

IMG_20180625_210430321_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg
    Sunset in Cassington last night after the yearly bike event the village runs every year.

26. weltweit

DSC_6643w.jpg

dweller likes this.
  27. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

28. a_chap

a_chap When the world came apart, where were you?

Points to calendar...

29. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

It was taken yesterday

30. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

weltweit and Signal 11 like this.