Judge me by my enemies

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by JuanTwoThree, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree All Cretans are liars, Epiminides (Cretan)

FDR said something like 'I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made', which Comey has quoted in an answer to Trump.

Does that really work? For example, from a left point of view De Gaulle was an enemy of fascism and of American influence in post-war Europe. He was even an enemy of the pied-noirs who tried to stop him de-colonising North Africa. It hardly made him a friend.

2. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Not really, no. And it’s certainly no way to find friends.

3. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

You can look at all the horrible regimes the left has embraced because they were anti american.

SpookyFrank, greenfield and CRI like this.
  4. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

It certainly makes for a pithy phrase, but doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

5. JuanTwoThree

It does have an immediate appeal but really is bollocks the more you look at it. What about?:

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is an ancient proverb which suggests that two opposing parties can or should work together against a common enemy. The earliest known expression of this concept is found in a Sanskrit treatise on statecraft, the Arthashastra, which dates to around the 4th century BC, while the first recorded use of the current English version came in 1884. (Wikipedia)

6. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

That's worse.

Pickman's model likes this.
  7. JuanTwoThree

I think I agree. People have been trotting it out for centuries though.

8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

That’s what I was referring to with my second sentence.

9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

threads work best when the op makes sense.

10. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

Either/or thinking is a terrible trap to get into. It's very powerful even though it never atually makes the slightest bit of sense.

11. JuanTwoThree

Did you wake up particularly stroppy this morning? It's a widely quoted remark by FDR, recently re-used by Comey. I wondered if it worked. The De Gaulle example isn't the best one, I'm sure. But the op makes sense. Enlighten me how it doesn't.

12. Pickman's model

your thread is about judging people by their enemies yet you suddenly introduce this 'it hardly made him a friend' at the end which makes no sense whatsoever.

you seem confused between 'judge people by their enemies' and 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'.

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  13. JuanTwoThree

If you only looked at De Gaulle's enemies you might see him as being on the left's side (a friend). Far from it.

14. Pickman's model

yes. but the fdr quote in the op is explicitly NOT about friends, but 'judge me by my enemies'

it's 'if i've made these enemies i must be doing a good job'

do you honestly not understand that?

15. SpookyFrank

You can judge Makhno by his enemies because he fought everyone.

Mordi and Pickman's model like this.
  16. Marshall Brown

Marshall Brown New Member

A phrase doesn't get popularity if it is not on point by the way

17. JuanTwoThree

Yes I do. But you're attaching far too much importance to a throwaway comment at the end. The fact that De Gaulle had a long list of enemies that were also enemies of the left, especially the French left, did not make him an ally of the left.

You've linked it up with the FDR quote far more than I meant it to. Pretend it's not there!

18. Pickman's model

as i say, threads work well when the op makes sense. and you ignore that among cdg's enemies were the left, so it's no surprise at all that he was not their ally.

19. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Not necessarily. Some phrases are just cliches.

SpookyFrank and Marshall Brown like this.
  20. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

'the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, sometimes he is an embarrassment and a liability and I wish he were someone else's enemy'

21. Marshall Brown

Marshall Brown New Member

like there is a phrase "Kiss and make up" has anyone heard this phrase? lol

22. JuanTwoThree

Did FDR mean judge him because he made lots of enemies or because of who the enemies were? I thought it was the latter but he may have just been talking about quantity, not quality, or lack of it.

23. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I don't think we can separate such statements from their context. This comment by Comey is probably the most elegant response possible to Trump's barrage of tweets. It refutes Trump's assault on his character, without getting personal himself. In many of these back and forth twitter wars no one ends up looking good. One of the reasons I stay away.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    likesfish likes this.
  24. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

Churchill on Hitler attacking Stalins Russia if her hilter invaded hell I'd find something complementary to say about the devil:).

It may be useful sometimes to make common cause with people you fundementally disagree with but only to a certain extent. Isis might piss trump off but that's not really a vote in their favor.

NoXion likes this.
  25. SpookyFrank

Did he actually say that or are you thinking of Ian McNeice in Doctor Who?