1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joy Division

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

Has anyone read Deborah Curtis' book, btw?

I've been meaning to read it for a while now.

Badgers likes this.
  2. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

ive read it 'Touching from a distance' its on my desk right here.

Its pretty good but gives her point of view mainly. Depicts the bleakness of life with Ian in Manchester. She seemed totally ostracised from the band too, like he was a bit embarassed of her.

3. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

i thought they lived in macclesfield? :confused:

4. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

They did.

Touching From a Distance is well worth a read.

5. chico enrico

chico enrico No hair shows you care.

objection m'lud. I think it's that very factor that makes JD stuff still sound so utterly unique. hannett appeared to have been more into introduding an 'ambient' element into JD's music, almost as another instrument, than developing on the synth notes and motifs which even today is a fairly iconoclastic approach.

conversely, i kinda think his production of that ESG 7" sounds a bit flat.

BTW. i think New Order are thee best pop band EVER! saw them at stirling uni on their first ever tour after curtis died and loads of times since. sometimes they're pants; sometimes they're peerless but some truly AMAZING songs.

6. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Only just seen this

That's exactly what I said about Ds absence

Oh, and yeh, I have read TFAD

7. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I think Hannett was desperate to get into the samplist thing, trying to persuade Tony to buy an Emulator or a Fairlight CMI, but he'd spent the money on the Hacienda. So he'd overdub lots of stuff, and in doing so watered down the sound and dragged up the midrange on everything to compensate. The echo effects on some of the drums are truly amazing though.

Their early stuff was unbelievably good.

My pet theory is that whilst JD explored the futility of life, New Order embraced it. And I think Gillian Gilbert had much to do with their sound, she softened the edges and suddenly it all made sense, moving it away from the Curtis themes. Though I love Movement, better than any JD album even though it was meant to be the last JD album.

But when they hit the discos in NYC and started going down that road, all that staccato industrial funk with guitars, fucking beautiful.

Didnt enjoy much after Substance went out in '87, and certainly not that World In Motion dirge, but you can almost forgive them anything for tracks like Ceremony, Procession (my personal favourite), Mesh, Hurt... been listening to them for over 25 years and they still send shivers of joy down my spine.

8. chico enrico

chico enrico No hair shows you care.

hmmm. well, i suppose I always listen to drums before anything else so that's maybe the origin of my infatuation with Hannett's production on JD material, though I completely agree with you on all your other points.

and totally agree with you about when NO entered their 'dance phase' after hanging around the danceteria, with mark kamins*, benitez etc.

no 'thieves like us' , PK? that's one that really gives me the shivers. And 'temptation' is still pretty peerless on the rare occassions you hear someone mix it into a set :)

('atom rock' by quando quango -actually the original rather than the kamins remix - is an amazing track and one that rarely left my record box in all the years i was DJing)

9. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

As for New Order and tracks to give you shivers, it has to be 'In a Lonely Place'.

Was that written by Curtis?

10. poului

poului a bit overrated

568t7gbkk,

I like them. I don't like their fans. :p

11. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

12. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

Yeah. Credited to 'Joy Division' on the B-Side of 'Ceremony', not New Order. An excerpt of it (with Curtis singing) turned up on the 'Heart And Soul' box set.

Badgers likes this.
  13. pk

I quite agree, both are sublime, but I played them to death when younger, so tend not to go for them as they're just too obvious, y'know?

14. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I watched the doco last night. I thought it really showed up the flaws in control (i.e there was no depth, people just did things). Nice to see hooky not pretending to be a monster 24/7 and them as a group stopping the competion to be most manc accents ever. Stephen Morris was esp interesting and bullshit free.

16. chazegee

chazegee Number two.

Surely that's what people do when they don't think they're legends.
    Still, I do love his anti-rock star pose. Gwahhhhhhhh. :cool:

17. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Wasn't he just. My missus wanted to pick him up, take him home and store him in the spare bedroom. :)

18. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

No one's returned the gravestone yet :hmm:

19. pk

I might try and chore Jim Morrison's next time I'm in Sacre Coeur... not because I'm a fan, just because its bound to do well on eBay, and piss off the weird fans.

20. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

If you haven't heard it, can I recommend the Low cover of Transmission? It's amazing

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never really fully taken in the lyrics to Love Will Tear Us Apart. They're fucking brilliant:

When the routine bites hard
    And ambitions are low
    And the resentment rides high
    But emotions wont grow
    And we're changing our ways,
    Taking different roads
    Then love, love will tear us apart again

Why is the bedroom so cold
    Turned away on your side?
    Is my timing that flawed,
    Our respect run so dry?
    Yet there's still this appeal