1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joy Division

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Voley

Voley Peaceful Oat Goblin

Were absolutely fucking brilliant.

That is all. :)

2. Rollem

Rollem two kinds of wonderful

<sits with nvp>

choccie biscuit?

3. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

What time's the next bus?

4. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is terrible.

Dismissed.

:p

5. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Yes, they were.

Please can I have a biccie as well Rollem?

6. danny la rouge

danny la rouge The Elders of the Internet know who I am

Great thread idea.

7. Voley

Well, no, there's a bit more to it than just being fucking brilliant.

I've been listening to them a lot recently since I saw the documentary (v good, btw, better than 'Control') and I keep getting stupidly excited about Bernard Sumner's guitar style. 'Interzone'. God, that song fucking rocks. Based on a Northern Soul tune according to that doc. I always thought it was their abbreviated version of 'Sister Ray'.

It's too easy with JD to concentrate on 'what happened to Ian' which is a shame, I think. They wrote some great rock songs.

I sang 'Dead Souls' all the way home from the shops this morning. And I didn't get locked up.

8. perplexis

perplexis A change of scene, a change of style....

They are among the greatest that have ever been.

9. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

They were OK, I loved them when I was a teenage goth, and I can see how important they were. But I never want to listen to them and think they were / are very over-rated

10. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Prefer the early New Order, when Bernie was better at guitar and they dropped that honking moody singer.

11. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Going to see the documentary on Monday evening.

Probably my favourite band. Never tire of listening to them. :)

12. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog I draw things

Bored senseless by them. The over hype has killed whatever interest I had for them. Yawn.

13. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Yep Joy Division, one of the most influential bands of the last 30 years.

Love will tear us apart was set to win the most influential single of the last 25 years until fucking Robbie Williams appealed to his fans through smash hits and their ilk and he beat it with angels, then smirked at the members of New Order at the presentation.

It is a superb track.

14. perplexis

*ignores any not-entirely positive comments*
    >fingers in ears<
    *lalalalala*

15. Voley

I should've made this a Crap / Not Crap, shouldn't I?

Been done before, maybe?

16. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

I'd be surprised if anyone voted crap, but they're still not THAT great :p

17. Fictionist

Fictionist Serving Eargasms....

Okay. I haven't listened to much of their material, and I've tried (repeatedly) to listen to 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Why is this single regarded as being so influential?

I'm not asking to be provocative, I'm genuinely interested in trying to understand how this could be the case.

:confused:

18. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Listen to the bass being played as a melody in places.

19. perplexis

Joy Division rule because they have Peter Hook's lead bass. lead as in "in front" rather than the metal.

20. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I loved them as a teenage goth and I love them now :)

I'm not sure they were overrated until the past few years. Until, I don't know, the beginning of this decade or so I didn't notice them being massively rated.

But recently, they do seem to have been accepted into the Mojo/Q magazine style 'official' list of great rock bands, with numerous documentaries, films and articles about them appearing everywhere. I even heard a gushing piece about them on the Today programme last year. The 'Joy Division Story' has been told so many times now that it's taking on a rock mythology on a par with The Fleetwood Mac Story or The Who Story or some such overblown rockist bollocks. I'm getting tired of hearing it.

Doesn't stop me liking them though.

21. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

'Non of our songs are about death and doom - that's a heavy metal thing.'

'Basically, we want to play and enjoy what we like playing. I think when we stop doing that, I think, well, that will be time to pack it in. That will be the end.'

22. Voley

It's very good. Some great early footage (not much exists) and a narrative that's genuinely interesting and doesn't get in the way of the music. I've never seen the surviving members talk about Curtis' suicide before (for years journalists were specifically briefed not to mention it, iirc).

The only criticism of it I'd have is that they've tried to make it 'the story of Manchester' too, which it plainly isn't. And I'm not sure why Curtis' widow wasn't involved. Maybe she had more to with 'Control', perhaps? Apart from that, though, a really good film. Worth seeing for the live version of 'Transmission' if nothing else.

23. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

love will tear us apart is a brilliant pop record. That riff is pure pop goodness. I really like their punky stuff (the RCA sessions I think). I was a bit of a teenage Joy Division nut (although I wasn't a goff, and loathed the smiths with a passion then)... because it was more 'real' to my teenage (not) coming to terms with my father's illness ears.

24. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

I still remember them doing 'Transmission' on 'Something Else' back in '79.

25. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

26. Voley

I think that's the one they show. There's a great bit of them doing 'Shadowplay' from one of Tony Wilson's other programmes ('So It Goes', maybe?).

Saw it in The Ritzy and they had the sound cranked right up. Gave me goosebumps, it did. :)

ETA: Transmission

Shadowplay

27. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

Control is based on her book, Touching From A Distance.

I haven't seen the documentary yet, looking forward to doign so.

28. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

The intro to Dead Souls. Best intro ever.

29. sojourner

sojourner Where's me readers?

Yeh, me and annierak went to see it when it was first released (she's always been a massive devotee), and I really liked it. I've never been a fan of JD at all, couldn't see what the fuss was about, but that film showed me. The live footage was...well, it was electric. I left the place stunned into silence, and a newly converted JD fan

30. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

I still prefer the Nine Inch Nails cover, it's just way more menacing.

And Martin Hannett was OK at producing punky guitar music but didn't really do the JD electronic experimentation justice.