Journeys where you've gone all the way

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Lord Camomile, Dec 19, 2016.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Yesterday, 344 all the way both ways.
    Central Line to end at Epping and back.
    Then on the Epping and Ongar railway end to and and back, helped by this

upload_2017-5-29_7-18-10.jpeg

2. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

A couple of friends and I once decided to go to Scotland and back in a day by train, just for the fun of it, we all met at Kings Cross station at 5am and I think we got back at 10pm that evening.
    I think we spent about 20 minutes at Edinburgh station and that as much of Scotland we saw on foot.
    But it only cost £5 so hey... why not.. lol

hash tag and Miss-Shelf like this.
  3. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:)

I don't think I ever got as far as Ongar while it was still part of the central line. I was living away from London (and in the middle of moving house) when it closed.

4. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

:cool:

5. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Did it about 1984 - some one gave me a lift to Woodford and I asked for a staff discount rate return - much swearing from the booking clerk , who eventually gave a green paper fiche , in triplicate for about 50p ..I think it was just me and the crew on the shuttle....

6. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

If you'd flown you could've gone for lunch, a spot of shopping and had a nosey round the castle ;)

Spymaster likes this.
  7. Spymaster

Spymaster Trigger

You did that for fun??? :hmm:

Do you pull your fingernails out for lolz too?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. moon

Yes it was great fun, we had one of those single carriages with comfy fully upholstered seats all to ourselves too, fab...
    Everyone should do this once in their lifetime in my opinion...
    I still remember the journey through the Pennine Way on the way back (we took 2 different routes there and back), so nice to see magnificent landscape from the comfort of a train carriage, we could even pull down the windows and stick our heads out... those were the days..
    Bahnhof Strasse could you do that on a plane??? hmm?

9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

[QUOTE="moon, post: 15084005, member: 306"landscape from the comfort of a train carriage, we could even pull down the windows and stick our those were the days..
    Bahnhof Strasse could you do that on a plane??? hmm?[/QUOTE]

In the olden days, with open cockpits :D:thumbs:

10. Bahnhof Strasse

moon seen enjoying a day trip to Scotland some time ago

[​IMG]

11. Bahnhof Strasse

I took a bunch of secretaries for lunch in Nice a while back.

A coffee in the BA lounge, a breakfast on the flight, cab to the Flower Market for lunch in the March sunshine, washed down with champagne and rose wine, a stroll along the Promenade des Anglais and a nice flight back with dinner and champagne.

Everyone should do that once in their lifetime imo.

:p

Spymaster likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

" a bunch of secretaries" :eek::mad:

13. Puddy_Tat

what is the right collective noun then? a herd?

:p

14. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I got a 159 from West Hampstead to Croydon sometime in the late 80s.

15. moon

Look... so you got to see some nice flowers and drink some wine.. wtf.. you could have stayed at home for that..
    I mean.. you didn't even go anywhere properly French!! and wasted a huge chunk of the earths resources getting there as well as polluted our atmosphere in the process... did you fly low over my house too???

Next time, jump on a train and go to the flower festival in Helston, then take another train to Tintagel, the legendary seat of King Arthur, you can bring a bottle of wine and drink it amongst the ruins, also take a train to Lands End, then at least you can say you did something properly English/British.. instead of watching Eastenders on the TV...

hash tag likes this.
  16. Bahnhof Strasse

The plane was going there anyway. But we did sit in a stack over SE London, for AGES.

Helston? Don't think so, too high a risk of getting thrown in jail or shot by the RNLI.

moon and Puddy_Tat like this.
  17. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Or even take the train to Paris from London; it can be easier than flying.

18. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Drove to the end of the world and back last summer. Finisterre. Most of northern Spain was amazing and worth it. The last 250 miles (i.e a 500 mile round trip) just for an obscure bloody shipping forecast area which isn't even on the forecast anymore really wasn't worth it.

I also did Edinburgh and back in a day for a fiver on the train in about 1977. Spent the whole journey up there with my head out of the window in the days when there wasn't some jobsworth spoiling things trying to save you losing your head to an oncoming train/bridge. Fell in love with Berwick. Or what I could see of it.

hash tag likes this.
  19. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

done Plymouth to Glasgow & Plymouth to Edinburgh up the West Coast line - I remember going through Penrith & also Newcastle but whether that was on the same journey or not is now a bit vague

20. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Every plane journey I've ever made.

Spymaster likes this.
  21. moon

Or take the sleeper train to Rome, you wake up to the sight of magnificent mountains rolling past as you sip an espresso whilst curled up in bed..
    Priceless.. :)

22. Bahnhof Strasse

Not everyone can say that, in fact most people who can't say that can't say anything much at all.

23. Bahnhof Strasse

Back in hash tag's day I guess, 'a pool'.

But we have moved on now they have invented the word processor.

24. Puddy_Tat

dunno.

a pool is surely a collective noun for typists.

back when i worked in a place that had both, secretaries would not be impressed to be referred to as typists...

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Have just got a bus from an area that we wouldn't normally get a bus in and went all the way to a place from a direction we would not normally travel in.
    We took the 127 from Purley to Tooting Broadway. It was after an afternoon out and brought us half way home.
    We knew most of the areas but not the route. Was really interesting.