1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jonathan Bishop, Welsh Labour and Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by llantwit, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

I don't see how that's a right if it's entirely down to someone else to decide whether they want you to be able to do it. It's quite acceptable in a democratic society to refuse membership on the grounds of disagreeing with someone, as that case shows.

"Illegal discrimination is illegal" isn't exactly radical breaking news either.

2. bonathanjishop

bonathanjishop Banned Banned

Rights are never absolute. The right of one person (e.g. to form an association), may conflict with someone else's right (e.g. not to form an association), as the ASLEF case shows. In the case I brought against a certain Pontypridd councillor, mentioned above, my right to a private life was weighed against his right to freedom of expression to publish a photo. His right was weighed as greater than mine because I was a public figure, but that didn't stop the court proving that his right to freedom of expression should not include specific remarks about the meaning of the photograph. In the ASLEF case it was held that the organisation's right not to associate was greater than the individual's right to associate. So while Article 11 makes it clear that you have a right to associate with others, such as on a bulletin board, those others also have a right not to associate with you. It doesn't stop posting on a bulletin board from being a right, just because the Admins can withdraw your membership on grounds which are non-discriminatory.

3. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

And that has exactly what to do with lazy llamas post?

You have no 'right' to post on a bb. Simple.

I think you're incapable of admitting you're wrong.

4. bonathanjishop

Come on now Fracty Boy, raise your game. You're not in the school yard anymore. You can't just thow insults and piggy back on Lazy Llama's post, you have to make your own arguments.

5. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

So you can't answer his points?

Weak.

6. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

pathetic.

7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I'm so glad I'm not one of his constituents......what a bombastic prannet!

8. llantwit

llantwit 

:D:D:D:D
    You're Alan Partridge.
    Fiver.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You have no 'right' to post here whatsoever. None. None at all.

It's a private bulletin board and the admins have absolute discretion as to who they allow to post here. Our board, our rules, our choice. Don't like it? Start you own.

The fact that you think you know otherwise just shows how laughably clueless you are when it comes to these matters - even if you did enter into a debating competition in Glamorgan once.

Oh, and you haven't answered my questions about who would fund, maintain and police your ID scheme that's going to cost tens of millions. Please do tell.

10. bonathanjishop

Which one of us is a Master of Laws? You expect me to accept your experience, so I expect you to accept mine.

In the UK every has a right to do whatever they want until they give up those rights through contract or the state takes them away. The power of the state to take rights away is limited by international treaties such as the EU Treaty and ECHR. The ECHR says that the State has little power to interfere in people's right to assemble peacefully, and being able to peacefully assemble is a right. Organisations of association can impose restrictions on who it has as its members who it helps assemble peacefully. So while you are right, that its up to you whether I am allowed to post to this forum, I still have a right to associate with others on this site until such a time it conflicts with other's rights not to associate.

I've tried to explain it as much as I can as someone who was in Top 5% of law graduates, but as someone else mentioned soft skills isn't a strong point of mine, so I can only do my best. Maybe if my soft skills were better I'd be in the Top 1% and this discussion wouldn't be as long drawn out.

11. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

do you really believe that it comes down to the top 5%, 1% or even 10%??? do you really believe what you are typing here makes sense?
    :confused:

and what actual EXPERIENCE have you got, not passing exams and writing papers, EXPERIENCE please?

12. bonathanjishop

What difference would it make me answering that question? If I told you and it was experience you valued you would say I was puffing myself up. If it wasn't then you'd say that it doesn't count.

Try understanding what I'm saying, it may be at a level beyond what lay people are used to, but that doesn't mean you should be ignorant. If someone talks about what happened in a Cardiff City game or a Wales rugby international, as its not my area of expertise I'd be more willing to accept their more highly engaged opinion on what the sides could have done better. As an aside, I actually like listening to Radio Wales after internationals to hear what the players have got to say, as they actually experienced it.

I'm sharing my legal opinion in as clear a way as I can, but I don't think my integrity should be continually questioned just because its not understood by people without the legal training I've had.

13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

you patronising oaf!
    lay person, how dare you. who do you actually think you are? better than us? (and the pleb fools who voted you in no doubt!)

14. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

Your integrity isn't being questioned because your critics haven't had the honour of spending 2 years at Treforest Poly, it's being questioned because you attempt to bully people into accepting your arguments by referring to your achievements, rather than through discussion.

You argue as though you have some autistic problems.

15. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

It strikes me as nearer to Narcissistic Personality Disorder than autism.

16. meurig

meurig Agent Raconteur

:D

17. bonathanjishop

Let me think about some autistic traits:
    1) autistic people have narrow interests and often develop a great deal of knowledge about a particular subject
    2) autistic people generally have difficulties communicating in non-technical language and mind-mapping other people's language for greater persuasiveness
    3) autistic people are generally strong willed and confident in themselves and their opinions and are less likely to accept the views of others which haven't undergone a similar evaluative critique

So you might be right to suggest that I have an autistic personality, and if you knew that the doctorate I am studying for is in autism technology, you might think:
    1). It's good that he 's doing something to help people like himself (MHBFY Jenny)
    2). It takes one to know one, I knew there was something wrong with him (Snert)
    3). I've got a relative with autism, I hope he will be able to help them (Flirt)
    4...11). Or something else.

18. toggle

toggle wobbly

children learn at pre gcse level not to give wiki as a source for anything. how come an 'expert' has yet to learn this?

we can also go back to the issue earlier in the thread where you posted a citation irrelevant to the point you were trying to support, and that was discussing the problems with the system of verifications you are trying to promote. also not the act of someone who is an academic expert

19. toggle

toggle wobbly

you know absolutely nothing about the professional qualifications of almost eveyone here. Unlike you, they choose not to brag. If you actually understood how communication happens on a board like this one, you would understand that bragging is not considered to be good behaviour.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I really don't give a shit about your irrelevant qualifications because the fact remains: you have no legal 'right' to post on a private bulletin board. None at all.

21. the button

the button out on the kocker

Speaking of professional qualifications, JB's website alludes to his having an LLM in "European Union Law" from Glamorgan Law School. I'd be interested to know when they stopped teaching that course (presumably since 2007), because -- according to their website -- European Union Law is only available as a module on their general LLM course, rather than as a separate degree.

And, in any event, LLMs don't confer the right to practice law.

If he wants to do qualifications and experience, let's go there. :)

22. toggle

toggle wobbly

I think he does not expect people to try to verify his claims

23. the button

Amazingly, the top google result for "european union law" & "glamorgan law school" is Rumpole's website.

24. toggle

toggle wobbly

lol

25. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I'd expect someone with the qualifications he claims to at least have an inkling of how the internet works but this guy obviously doesn't have a clue. He's utterly failed to demonstrate any knowledge of the topics he's spouting off about. It's pretty weird how he keeps on puffing away. Definitely has issues imo.

I'm not sure how long I can be bothered to keep posting "care to address any of the points made?" before I get bored.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Reposted for the fourth time of asking....

27. the button

You do not have an LLM in European Union Law. Your question is invalid.

28. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Oh, I think rewriting the internet and all the applications that sit on top of it would cost a bit more than a few tens of millions. Not to mention sorting out the actual identity stuff, or the international legislation.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Did you pay to be included, Jonathan?

30. bonathanjishop

The legislation would be introduced by the European Union through a new directive using the same legal base as the Digital Signatures Directive. It would be enforced as all directives are by the European Commission. Undertakings providing the bulletin board services would be responsible for meeting the costs of implementing the legislation.

No I didn't - I didn't even buy the book itself. If you all have so many professional qualifications, then you won't object to me making a speech calling for the IT industry to be regulated by the BCS, so that you need to be a member of it to provide IT services? I'm thinking of applying to be a Fellow, do you think I'll get it?