Join the campaign against RightMove's "No DSS" policy

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Wookey, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

I'm currently working on a Shelter campaign, and wondered if you lot would like to assist?

Leading property portal Rightmove is continuing to allow DSS discrimination on its site despite a wave of changes sweeping the lettings industry. Barring people from renting a home simply because they get a housing benefit top-up is prejudice plain and simple, and likely to be unlawful in many cases too. Rightmove is helping fuel misery for hundreds of thousands all over the country and adding to the number of people who cannot find a home.

A host of household names including Zoopla, Co-op, NatWest and Nationwide have removed this discrimination from their policies and platforms, yet a couple of clicks on Rightmove’s website reveal pages of “No DSS’ adverts. The government has now joined Shelter's call for change, which is why we want Rightmove to take urgent action in response to mounting political and public pressure. The role of property portals in ending this discrimination cannot be underestimated.

You can send them a pre-crafted Tweet here:

Tweet them

Or send them a message on one of their Facebook posts, here's a message you can copy and paste, feel free to personalise it:

When will you ban adverts on your website that discriminate against people receiving housing benefit?

Facebook

We need to make sure that Rightmove feels the pressure on this and you can play a part in that.

If like Zoopla, they finally decide to outright ban ‘no DSS’ ads on their site, this will send massive shockwaves across the industry - bringing a swifter end to discrimination faced by so many across the country.

The fact that the majority of people in the UK who are on benefit top-ups are women make this (we have argued successfully in court) a gender discrimination issue.

So I would really appreciate it if you could support the campaign with a quick Tweet, or (knowing Urban) something perhaps even more... imaginative?

Thankyou
    x

wrong.jpg

2. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

Done :thumbs:

Badgers and Wookey like this.
  3. Wookey

Oh yeah! Tell me if you help and you'll get a wave of Wookey love right in the face. :)

Thanks for kicking us off BoatieBird ! xx

Badgers and BoatieBird like this.
  4. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Will do. Will share around too. Good work.

Wookey likes this.
  5. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Also done :thumbs:

6. Wookey

Badgers and colacubes like this.
  7. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat hmm

duly tweeted

8. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Tweeted. Nice one Wookey.

9. rowan

rowan Well-Known Member

Wookey and Badgers like this.
  10. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Wookey likes this.
  11. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I have tweeted but don't know how much good it will do. I have not got many followers.:(

tim, Wookey and Badgers like this.
  12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Wookey and Pickman's model like this.
  13. rowan

rowan Well-Known Member

Ground Elder, Wookey, blairsh and 2 others like this.
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

15. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Will tweet em when I remember my twitter password :rolleyes:

You don't by any chance know of a phone number in the Cardiff offfice that will get answered? Been phoning them for a couple of weeks for a friend who is about to be made homeless and no one ever picks up.

eta - that's Shelter, not Rightmoves

Pickman's model and Badgers like this.
  16. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Tweeted

Badgers likes this.
  17. Wookey

The phone advice lines are massively oversubscribed I'm afraid, a result of the national housing crisis.

I would suggest visiting the hub in Cardiff if he can, or try the Shelter Cymru website...

Get Advice - Shelter Cymru

His local CAB might be able to refer him to Shelter which will speed it up. He needs advice as soon as possible. Quicker the better as there are steps that could be taken to protect him, but only with the right support and advice.

PM me some details if you want, I'm not an advisor but I know a bit. Knowing his category of need would be a start (is he in private or social, has he been served a S21, has his deposit been properly protected?) These are the questions we would ask to determine a person's rights and convince a landlord that eviction might not be a good idea.

18. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, it's not about your followers seeing this or about spreadng the message, it's about the marketing team that manage rightmove's social media feed seeing as many of these as possible so they feel the need to raise this as a problem in terms of image/pr internally at rightmove.

In this way, your tweet is as useful or important as someone with lots of followers.

MrSki and Wookey like this.
  19. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Wookey I've no Twitter or Facebook, is there a targeted email address i could send a rant to?

20. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

If it has been successfully argued in court to be gender discrimination, is Shelter going to take the obvious next step and sue RightMove?

21. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

Facebook is saying page unavailable "too many redirects" but I'll keep trying.

I've tweeted too.

I'm getting "bad gateway" for the petition. I'll try later.

22. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

23. Wookey

Couldn't comment. ;)

The next obvious step isn't really to sue, it's to get them to voluntarily change their policy on the understanding that were the principal challenged by an individual in court (rather than our judicial review) they would be very likely to lose according to the advice we've sought.

BigTom If you can't Tweet or FB, you can sign the petition? DSS Petition

BigTom and Celyn like this.
  24. Wookey

Exactly, I was gonna suggest emailing their press team also, that would result in more internal pressure. press@rightmove.co.uk

BigTom likes this.
  25. dessiato

Managed to post on their FB page at last.

Wookey likes this.
  26. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

tweeted so me and my 4 followers can get in on it

Wookey likes this.
  27. dessiato

I've just got this from them

Hi (Dessiato) - thanks for your post – this week we’ve asked all our letting agent customers to explain in their ads where a landlord is unable to consider a tenant on benefits and why this is, following this guidance from the government >> http://bit.ly/2UEtGrv We’ll also be stripping out old language such as ‘No DSS' from May onwards.

28. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

it's a fucking disgrace and some kind of social prejudice/discrimination for sure.

I'll be posting on Facebook.

dessiato likes this.
  29. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Signed the petition today

30. inva

inva Well-Known Member

I for one want only the most modern language used when I'm being excluded by landlords/agencies.

iona likes this.