1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Oliver explains the World Cup and FIFA to Americans

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 Brazil' started by juice_terry, Jun 9, 2014.

1. juice_terry

juice_terry Here is a man who would not take it anymore.

2. grubby local

grubby local tapir wanker

very good. required viewing even. that 4,000 deaths figure on Qatar is just unbelievable gx

skyscraper101 likes this.
  3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Good piece. Last Week Tonight is one of the very few things worth watching now on TV in America.

juice_terry likes this.
  4. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Great video: a real eye opener.

juice_terry likes this.
  5. Johnny Canuck3

Nobody's posting on this thread. Is everything Oliver's saying just common knowledge to Europeans?

Balbi likes this.
  6. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Pretty much.

7. Johnny Canuck3

That FIFA crowd seem like a bunch of arrogant twats.

8. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

even people who don't really follow football are well aware of how the world governing body for it are shameless grasping fucks

9. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

TBH if you've got a vague grasp of what 'The World Cup' is and what 'Qatar' is then you're pretty much there.

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I have a vague theory- in america land the corruption and illegal betting having been so long a real money spinner for the mafia (the pre drug faves- protection, bookmaking, prostitution) that governing bodies for the big team sports are under greater scrutiny, actual oversight and consequences. So while it no doubt goes on, its a little less brazen. Who can call FIFA to account? the pope? the ghost of pele?

11. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

common knowledge to British people. A lot of people elsewhere give FIFA a bit of a pass because when the Brits ran FIFA they were even worse.

12. Johnny Canuck3

Also, if I recall correctly, there were some prominent bribery/game-fixing scandals as early as the Twenties, with baseball [the name 'Shoeless Joe Jackson' comes to mind, might be wrong]. The public scandal and outrage was big enough that it's reverberated through organized sports in the US, to the present day.

13. Johnny Canuck3

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

John Oliver is very, very good. All of these are worth watching.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And another!

16. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member