John McDonnell calls Winston Churchill a 'villain' - BBC

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by 8ball, Feb 14, 2019.

1. 8ball

8ball Bar Bore Silver Medallist

Badgers and NoXion like this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

He should've said as far as he's concerned, he's lower than vermin :thumbs:

3. editor

editor hiraethified

Correct.

William of Walworth, Poi E and NoXion like this.
  4. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Churchill was a bastard & it pisses me off when I hear people quoting him like he was some kind of saintly type.

5. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Rollin, rollin...

I wonder if Ian Austin Labour MP for Dudley has also got a portrait of Thatcher above his fireplace?
    There is less than a cigarette paper between Churchill and Enoch Powell.
    Churchill’s views on people from outside Europe would get him vilified today, especially his views on Muslims.

6. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

He couldn’t. It was a game where he had to give a one word answer ‘hero’ or ‘villain’. Given the choices honest John had to go with the latter

7. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

If it wasn't for Hitler Churchill wouldn't be the greatest briton ever.

8. krtek a houby

9. Sprocket.

Perhaps Mike Leigh’s next film should be Tonypandy!

10. krtek a houby

Help me, Rhondda

11. Smokeandsteam

Having seen Peterloo perhaps not...

A380 and Sprocket. like this.
  12. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

Churchill is no hero of mine and it's good McDonnell says this too. He wrote some good rabble rousing stuff and I appreciate the work he did to popularise the onesie, but that's all.

William of Walworth, oryx and A380 like this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

He is factually correct but I doubt that statement will help Labour in the polls

D'wards, tim, A380 and 3 others like this.
  14. Smokeandsteam

As I understand it he was at a gathering of the political class and was playing a game called ‘hero or villan’. It’s a complete non story seized on by the press to prove he’s a dangerous revolutionary. Given his abandonment of capital controls and acceptance of the rules of the single market we can only wish that was the case

15. Sprocket.

No doubt Churchill may have sent the troops in for Mike Leigh.

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  16. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

His views on people within Europe were shit too and he held his class hatred of the WC high.

17. krtek a houby

18. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

He could have said something like “both”. Or the same thing he’d answered to the previous question, i.e. “next”. The shadow chancellor declaring Britain’s popular favourite historical figure a villain is obviously electoral suicide, no matter how accurate it is. How he thought it was more important to duck “who’s your favourite Tory?” than this question I’ve no idea.

19. Smokeandsteam

I suspect it’s one of them. You are in convivial company with fellow members of your class and profession and the discipline slips in the knockabout atmosphere and a bit of safe posturing took place.

Seriously, I’m more concerned about his genuine commitment hold the line for the basic tenets of the mildest forms of social democracy. At present the signs are not good

DotCommunist, tim and danny la rouge like this.
  20. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

Churchill was a dark lord, shit he did in India was diabolical...............
    McDonell, should he have said it? I dunno, in times like these people don't want to know the truth they wanna look at the past with Rose tinted specs and the future too. It won't do Labour any favours though especially with the way our media bleats on.
    Knowing what they're up against and being an opposition chancellor he should have held his tongue until after the election.
    People don't like hearing the truth.....simple as......

8ball likes this.
  21. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

It isn't electoral suicide or anything like it. Possibly not a brilliant idea, but considering The Times called Churchill a white supremacist yesterday I don't think he's as untouchable as he once was.

22. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

In fact, the conversations people have after things like this are how he becomes less untouchable.

SpineyNorman likes this.
  23. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

A white supremacist and also a hero.

It was an interesting apologism...

Poi E and NoXion like this.
  24. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Awwww yes

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  26. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

27. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The need or desire to have historical characters, sports people, actors, etc, be separated into proverbial good goats and bad sheep is foolish and annoying. Almost everyone who has publicly displayed some virtue or heroism has been a villain in some way. And likely all those who are damned for their evil have at times had virtues. Journalists key into this childish desire for simplicity and even intelligent people play along.

Boris Sprinkler, MickiQ and A380 like this.
  28. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

I’ll say this for him, he was a bricklaying enthusiast.

A380 likes this.
  29. krtek a houby

I heard he was a frustrated artist, too

NoXion likes this.
  30. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

He was both a villain and a hero, I'm no fan (especially up here) but you can't deny his importance either.