jobs whose existence surprises you

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pickman's model, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

i'll start you off with this little gem

upload_2018-8-16_12-31-40.png
    i am astonished that a society of homeopathic medicine should lower themselves so far as to have a scientific adviser.

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

black rod. What a grade a sinecure. And its ridiculous

Poi E and Pickman's model like this.
  3. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Management consultant. If you don't know how to manage things then you should probably quit your job as a manager, not outsource your own job on the company's dime.

4. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

5. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Anyone who works here:

FFS.PNG

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

That's out of this world.

Poi E, cupid_stunt, petee and 2 others like this.
  7. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I love seeing that building on the train out of waterloo. They do do some interesting research and have a programme of talks. There are some coming up in the next few weeks

Technical Project Trilogy evening

agricola, A380 and hash tag like this.
  8. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

The guy whose very specific job it is to cut the arseholes out of cows in a slaughterhouse always bemused me - but apparently, since the regs on cross-contamination were properly beefed-up in the aftermath of BSE/e-Coli, it has become a critical role that is considered one of the most skilled and best paid jobs on the entire line

A380 likes this.
  9. iona

iona toxic clown

Can't remember if this was from an actual conversation I've had recently or something I read on here :facepalm: but firing dead chickens and other birds into planes to test them. Makes complete sense when you think about it, but how often does anyone outside specific parts of the aviation and dead bird industries think about the existence of the role of chicken gun operative, or whatever the official job title is?

A380, cupid_stunt, Voley and 4 others like this.
  10. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Those people who taste test pet food.

11. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Avian ballistic technician?!!

Voley and iona like this.
  12. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

13. JuanTwoThree

JuanTwoThree Unintended gear-stick action

Chicken gun - Wikipedia

The Chicken Cannon

14. pogofish

Its called a "Bird Ingestion Test" - and here it is and the Chicken Gun IRL:

:)

Voley, iona and Pickman's model like this.
  15. pogofish

I saw someone on another board recently trying to find out which firm did the mystery shopping/random quality tests for Five Guys burgers, so they could try and get a job! :D

emanymton likes this.
  16. Grump

Grump Well-Known Member

Probably not true but I remember reading about how engineers were amazed at how the chickens were causing immense damage to the engines they were test fired into until they realised the technician in charge of the gun was using frozen chickens.

Whagwan, trabuquera, A380 and 3 others like this.
  17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

painting the band of special paint at the bottom end of lamp posts (the paint is specially intended to prevent corrosion caused by dog piss) is a job

Poi E likes this.
  18. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I used to live next door to a guy who was an RR service engineer, he told me once they had an engine returned from an aircraft belonging to an African airline that had sucked up an hyena that had run across the runway.
    Apparently neither the engine nor the hyena survived the experience.

19. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Corporate lawyer.

20. tim

tim Well-Known Member

This is a Pathe film is about one of the last street gas-lamp lighters in London.

However, 60 years after that film was made we still have gas-lamp lighters