Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jethro Tull: crap or not crap?

sim667

Licking windows on the 303 bus.
Jethro tull, one of my favourite bands from my dad's collection........ this is a great song

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
It is, but Broadsword might not be considered 'classic Tull' by fans.
I've bumped into a few (well, two) people recently who say they are big Tull fans, but haven't heard anything pre-1980!! Fuck knows what they must think if/when they go to a gig and get twenty mins of Thick as a Brick.

sim667

Licking windows on the 303 bus.
I've bumped into a few (well, two) people recently who say they are big Tull fans, but haven't heard anything pre-1980!! Fuck knows what they must think if/when they go to a gig and get twenty mins of Thick as a Brick.
That even makes me feel old school and I wasnt born til 1983:D

killer b

[distant cheering]
It's awful hippy shite tbf, but likeable in places. I've got 'stand up' on now, and there's a wildly infectious groove going on in 'bouree'. If only we could edit out the horrid folk-rock bits...

Meltingpot

Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea
It's awful hippy shite tbf, but likeable in places. I've got 'stand up' on now, and there's a wildly infectious groove going on in 'bouree'. If only we could edit out the horrid folk-rock bits...
I'd edit out everything else. This is a great song IMO;

Weller

So ermm ... You know ermm
Loved some of the stuff they did together with Lucia Micarelli but stll love Heavy Horses and Minstrel in the Gallery and most of Martin Barres ? guitar on the early albums .

belboid

TUC Off Your Knees
They are, apparently, no more.

"JETHRO TULL BREAKS UP? Martin Barre, the 65-year-old guitarist for legendary British band Jethro Tull, said that the group will never record another album. In a telephone interview with the online Kinston Free Press Daily Podcast that was set up primarily to discuss the 40th anniversary of the band's triple-platinum LP, "Aqualung," Barre was asked about whether there will be a new Jethro Tull studio album, Barre didn't hesitate. "No, there won't be," he immediately answered. When asked for a reason, he said, "Jethro Tull is on ice."

One of rock music's great guitarists, the man, who joined Tull in 1969 and has played on every one of the group's 21 studio albums except its 1968 debut album, "This Was," noted that group leader Ian Anderson is booked with solo projects for the next two years. He then added that he also has solo projects planned during that time. He said he and Anderson will tour the world separately, each playing the music of Jethro Tull.

Barre said his band will include as many as three current or former Tull members. He expressed some dissatisfaction with Anderson's decision to perform many of the same songs tour after tour, ignoring much of the band's deep catalog.

Barre said his tour will include Tull's guitar-based songs that fans have not heard in concert in many years, such as "Teacher," "Minstrel in the Gallery," "To Cry You a Song," and rarely performed portions from the epic early '70 s albums, "Passion Play" and "Thick as a Brick;" songs he said, "are classic Tull tracks that haven't been done in 20 or 30 years or more."

He added, "We won't be regurgitating what Jethro Tull did last year, or this year, or the year before, which I find fairly pointless. We'll give a new take on Jethro Tull with tracks that, I think, everybody will really want to hear."

Regarding "Aqualung," Barre said that recording that album was not necessarily a pleasant experience due to the pressure put on the band to deliver a great album after the band's growing success. Each of Tull's prior three albums, 1968's "This Was," "Stand Up" in 1969 and "Benefit" in 1970 (that he lists as his favorite), were more successful than the previous album and the move was made for the band to jump from smaller halls to 15,000-20,000-seat major arenas. "It was quite a traumatic album to make, but it became a good album."