Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jethro Tull: crap or not crap?

Hollis

Bloody furious
Benefit, Stand Up, Aqualung..

Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses.. all classics.

For my mind Tull are are their best when Anderson is balanced with other strong band members - so we have the "classic" early 70s line up inc. Glen Cornick and Clive Bunker, and the "classic" late 70s line up.

I must admit to still having difficulty getting into 1975's "Minstrel in the Gallery" - but it possibly requires repeated listenings.

Stand Up & Benefit are the two Tull albums everybody should have. :cool:

ajdown

Posting in this thread
Most definitely not crap. Saw them live last year in Croydon.

Two of my favourites.

Check out the guy on the maracas about 40 seconds in.

seeformiles

Lost in the wood
First few albums excellent but fell into self-indulgent prog-rockery in the 70s with just the occasional good LP.

Mind you , my late good pal Sparky hated them and always referred to them as "Jethro Dull"

Pingu

Credo
not crap.

this thread has inspired me to rip my jethro tull collection into mp3s.

thick as a brick is awesome.

gentlegreen

Bulla liberali in perpetuum.
Excellent - I may have to have to revive my Monday night tradition of singing along to this sort of thing...

(but then I'm old enough to be a great uncle ...)

Music per se is fab - I was reminded the other evening of just how much I loved the music of Elgar ...

killer b

[distant cheering]
i got given a huge stack of late 60s / early 70s prog recently, including a few tull albums. i was surprised to discover i quite like some of it.

this is good

Meltingpot

Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea
For those who think think Jethro Tull are "utter fucking shite," what do you consider to be good music, and how is it better than Tull?

FWIW, I think Tull are one of the better rock bands out there; even though I think some of their music is pretentious wankery ("Minstrel in the Gallery" leaves me cold for a start), it's at least well-played wankery.

I've not heard any of their stuff post-1980 but I've been told that Broadsword is a good album.

spawnofsatan

Down by the river
For those who think think Jethro Tull are "utter fucking shite," what do you consider to be good music, and how is it better than Tull?

FWIW, I think Tull are one of the better rock bands out there; even though I think some of their music is pretentious wankery ("Minstrel in the Gallery" leaves me cold for a start), it's at least well-played wankery.

I've not heard any of their stuff post-1980 but I've been told that Broadsword is a good album.
It is, but Broadsword might not be considered 'classic Tull' by fans.

Fedayn

This isn't a deep theoretical debate on whether a group of weirdos named after the inventor of the seed drill are one of the better rock bands. But a crap/not crap argument.