1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by hash tag, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 A kick up the Arás

My GP gave me a prescription for that, once.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Local councillor election here today, oddly a Wednesday and for such a staunch Tory area Labour look like they’re in with a decent chance, so much so that the local MP was stalking the high street on Saturday trying to drum up blue support, seeing as he’s Jeremy Hunt that suggests they are spooked.

Riklet likes this.
  3. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

SaskiaJayne likes this.
  4. ayatollah

ayatollah Well-Known Member

Why don't you , and Killer B, just do a modicum of research before writing utter bollocks ? Jones didn't "wobble" , he deliberately stuck a propaganda dagger repeatedly into Corbyn and his Left agenda's back ! It's all there on the internet for a few keystrokes FFS ! Owen Jones fell out with Jeremy Corbyn as early as December 2015, soon after the surprise first leadership contest victory - when Corbyn ignored his crap advice to "steer Right policy-wise" to make nice with the neoliberal PLP Right, and didn't bring him into his inner team (he prefers old Stalinists like Milne and Murray). Richard Murphy of The Tax Justice Network , had the same snub (quite rightly , as he is just a liberal with deep Quaker beliefs). Both characters from then on rubbished Corbyn and his policies remorselessly, as much from personal pique as politics. As late as 1st March 2017 in the Guardian article "Jeremy Corbyn says he's staying. That's not good enough", Jones was still dissing Corbyn . In fact he only really recanted his rejection of Corbyn as a viable leader AFTER the surprise success of Labour with Corbyn's decidedly Leftish reformist Manifesto , despite having worked for Labour during the snap election. Owen formally apologised for his "mistake about Corbyn" in a mea culpa article in The Guardian on June 9th , AFTER Labour did so well, saying "Jeremy Corbyn would make a fine Prime Minister" ! So Owen Jones remained a damaging "Left" critic of Corbyn AND his Left agenda for 18 months after the first Leadership election, much to the delight of all of Corbyn's PLP and Tory and press opponents , right up to 8th June. Deny this if you want, but that requires you ignore the facts, and are incapable of adding up his 18 months of solid betrayal.

Fez909 and mather like this.
  5. killer b

It's like some mirror-world version of The Male Online.

FridgeMagnet and NoXion like this.
  6. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

No -- I'll have to have a look at that. Will do a search.

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

:confused: OJ has been pretty much onboard with JC from early days, given how he disagrees with the centre-right Labour wing. I even went to the trouble of skimming through his back articles in the Guardian archive of his stuff there in case I was going mad but apart from a few pieces saying "Corbyn should do this", overbalanced by posts promoting him and bashing his enemies in Labour, there's nothing.

8. killer b

He did call for him to go a few time tbf.

NoXion likes this.
  9. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

Lots of mileage in this one. 'The sidebar of privilege' for a start.

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

bare jokes:
    Wait, is Jeremy Corbyn… hot?

Fez909 and mojo pixy like this.
  11. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

''unelectable'' but not unerectable, eh, eh

actually I wish I hadn't thought of that :facepalm:

12. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Compared to other major politicians at the moment the man is a sex god. When you're up against (fnar) Gove, Boris, Cameron, Trump, Farage, etc, you'd have to be pretty bad to be less sexy really, but he does have a sort of twinkly-eyed appeal.

13. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

where I grabbed that link from had a quote from the twitterbox 'attractive in an old sea dog way' which also cracked me up.

scifisam likes this.
  14. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

In south West Surrey??? :eek:
    I mean, HASLEMERE??? Fucking hell, if they're rattled there, anything is possible.
    How did it go?

mauvais and Pickman's model like this.
  15. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

looks like they elected a limp dem to the district and town councils (LD's didn't even stand last time in that ward) and it's their only councillor on waveney council so they consider this something of an achievement (new councillor's tweeter here.)

from a labour party perspective, they were struggling even to get paper candidates in council elections in bits of surrey not that long ago...

16. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

[​IMG]

17. Lib Dem. not Tory, but don’t really go for my enemy’s enemy shit.

18. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

no, not me either

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

From that piece DotCommunist quoted above :

'lager' my arse ... if the Corbster drank at all (and I don't think he does much) it'd have to be proper ale from an independent brewery ... :hmm:

a_chap and Mr.Bishie like this.
  20. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Independent in the sense that it would be home brew.

21. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Or some home made raspberry and nettle wine.

William of Walworth likes this.
  22. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

23. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Plenty of Labour target voters don’t really do foreign stuff while they are trying to pay their rent & most others will see the utter hypocrisy of this right wing handwringing over the Iranian anti government protests when the same right wingers back Israel over Palestinian ‘terrorists’. Nobody reads the tabloid press anymore. Jezza can rest easy on this one.

24. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Be nice for a government in waiting to have an opinion, maybe that's just me.

25. SaskiaJayne

I think the Tories are now so toxic that they have gone beyond trying to scare voters into not voting Labour. Nobody listens. Nobody worries about Labour turning the country into Venezuela anymore.

William of Walworth likes this.
  26. killer b

You're totally wrong there: roughly 40% of the country worry about Labour turning the country into Venezuela. That's why the Tory numbers aren't dipping. It's all they have left, but it's still very effective.

27. SaskiaJayne

Labour’s previous problem was getting their target voters to actually vote. Their better than expected result at last GE was because more of their target voters voted. Imo Tory voter base is getting older & dying off so can’t vote. Plenty of potential Labour voter base is becoming old enough to vote so Labour vote share is naturally increasing while Tory vote share is naturally decreasing. Labour can win if they can get their voters out to vote. It does seem a bit like before ‘97 where the Tories just became toxic & Labour got the result at the next GE.

28. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

The share of the vote for the Conservative party has seen a successive increase at each of the last five GEs. In 2017 it was as high as it was 30 years ago.

As for the dying off nonsense well that was the same claim as made twenty years ago.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    emanymton, Ground Elder and Fez909 like this.
  29. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

It seems to make sense, just like the demographic arguments made in the USA about the GOP never winning another election again - and look how that turned out.

The issue is that old people are being produced all the time, the same as young people. And old people are making up a bigger percentage of the population all the time. And they always vote.

redsquirrel likes this.
  30. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Relying on people dieing and not actual real life policies is a fool's game.

William of Walworth and Hollis like this.