jamaica - fastest nation on earth!!

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by marty21, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Yes Jessie. Again I say yes, that needs to be remedied not least to put a stop to all the speculation.

It isn't however proof of anything.

2. Jessiedog

Jessiedog Keeping the faith.

Indeed, it would certainly help to assuage some of the doubts.

One wonders why it hasn't been done.

:hmm:

Indeed.

Woof

3. Rutita1

Hold on, did we just agree on something?:eek: ;)

4. Jessiedog

Aye!

:cool:

We agree on a great deal actually - which I guess is why we don't bicker toooooo much around the boards.

Good to see agreement here too.

:)

Woof

5. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

You couldn't rule it out on the basis of his physique. Unlike Bolt.

6. Jessiedog

Aye!

And paedophiles have goatees.

:(

Woof

7. ymu

You're missing the point. There is no known doping regimen which could produce Bolt's results without making him much bigger and bulkier than he is.

You cannot seriously be suggesting that there is some as yet unknown drug that somehow makes him yards faster than anyone else without bulking him up but Usain Bolt is the only person who has had access to it ever, but he's been taking it ever since he was 15. :D

8. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

He's not massively bigger than Bolt IMO. He certainly isn't bulked up like Linford Christie.

I think you're well wrong with this line you keep pushing about Bolt's physique. Performance enhancing drugs aren't used purely to bulk up - they're used to allow athletes to train longer and recover faster. That's an advantage to any athlete, regardless of how big they are.

You're right to say that there's no more evidence of Bolt using steroids than any other athletes, and unless some shows up he should be left alone. It just isn't true to say it's impossible that he's been using them though.

9. Jazzz

Jazzz the truth don't care Banned

I'm completely a Bolt fan and see no reason to doubt him, but this is a fallacious line you seem to be taking ymu.

You're effectively arguing that Bolt cannot be doping, because his results are too good! This is perverse logic.

Jessiedog is right - it's certainly possible as far as we know that there may be effective doping strategies which will assist atheletes without making them look like steroid queens. They might assist Bolt as any other. What no-one could possibly question is that Bolt has extraordinary talent.

10. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

He's certainly got long legs. I saw the relay team on their podium and the difference between his height and the guy next to him seemed to be all in the leg. i.e. His hips seemed to be the same difference higher than the next guy's as his head was. If that makes sense.

11. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

I don't get that tone at all, and I know Madusa very well and have never ever got that impression. Although I will agree that some of the results of competitions are staggering that does not mean it is doping. You seem adamant. That is the problem.

12. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

As a side note: it is no secret that I have had 'problems' :)D) with rutita1 but she does raise very valid points.

13. ymu

Bolt is not big enough, ffs!

What do you think is the point of sprinters using drugs to train longer and recover faster if not to build muscle? They don't need it for endurance. :D

Nonsense. I'm arguing that if there was a drug that could make someone that good, he'd not be the only person out there flying down the track, setting records decades ahead of expectation.

Plus he's only improved his 200m time by 0.9s since he was 15. Less than a second in 7 years - yeah, must be drugs! :D :D :D

It's just not plausible.

14. Jessiedog

You're just chucking red herrings around, ymu.

You point to Bolt's physique as evidence that he's not been cheating - simply 'cos he's not as "bulked up" as some others that have cheated (though he is, nevertheless, without doubt, a fine figure of a man).

I remain unconvinced, however, that you possess the requisite professional and technical expertise to assert that this is actually evidence of his non-cheat status. I assert that it is nothing of the kind.

The fact is that I don't know exactly what (new) drugs are being used to cheat, or exactly how the cheating regimes are implemented, nor exactly what measures are deployed to avoid detection - and neither, I suspect, do you.

Do you remember a certain young, woman athlete named Marion Jones?

From Wiki:

From the early days, pretty much all her coaches were drug-cheats. Later on, her husband (and coach) was a drug-cheat, her later boyfriend was also a drug-cheat.

Among other drugs, she was taking the now-infamous steriod Tetrahydrogestrinone (or THG or "The Clear"), which was undetectable until after the BALCO affair blew up in 2003/4.

Not exactly The Incredible Hulk, is she?

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Woof

15. Jessiedog

Except that pretty much all of that improvement has happened over the last year.

And then there's the fact that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/sports/olympics/22longman.html

It's a stupid game and it's not between the athletes, it's between the chemists.

:p

Wioof

16. exosculate

exosculate a stagger with a beat

Good work Jessie

I think someone has just been OWNED!

:D:D:D

17. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

:p

18. Rutita1

Oh well that must be what the Kenyans, Ethiopians, Morrocans etc etc are taking.

Glad we've cleared that up! :)

19. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Have you looked up the phrase 'straw man' at all?

20. Rutita1

Have you ever looked up the phrase 'give it a rest' at all? :)

21. London_Calling

Me?:D

Where the fuck did you come up with "Kenyans, Ethiopians, Morrocans etc" from . . . :hmm:

But you're right, I left you to it a couple of pages ago.

22. ymu

Duh! Of course you can use drugs to get strong without getting big - what do you think marathon runners use them for? Sprinters have to build short muscle fibre - which is bulky - and they use steroids to help them do it. There's a reason sprinters are huge when distance runners are stringy.

And ffs! Women can't build as much muscle as men, but Marion Jones was bigger than Usain Bolt. :D

[​IMG]

I work with a biochemist who used to work in drug-testing. He reckons you can be 99% sure about a sprinter on the basis of physique alone. He told me Linford Christie was a cheat long before it came out. I didn't realise it was that simple before I met him - but he says it is. Bolt does not have the thighs of a body-builder.

23. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

She's pretty mighty for a woman. I wouldn't like to take her on in an arm-wrestling match.

While Bolt's physique can't possibly be proof that he's not using substances, it does seem to me to exclude certain doping regimes .... mainly steroid-based substances.

As I said earlier, let's presume the man innocent until proven guilty, please.

24. Rutita1

That is correct. :D
    Read what's being siad on the thread...proof you can take some substances just to make you stronger etc and not bulk up.

Don't tell me you just happened to accidently click on this thread...:p

25. Rutita1

The voice of reason! :D

26. Jessiedog

Why the sarcasm, Rutita?

:(

I thought I'd put a good deal of effort into demolishing ymu's, rather ill-informed, argument......

So I'm "missing the point".

Errrrrrrr.......

OK!

:rolleyes:

Woof

27. ymu

Yes Jessie. Now tell me why a sprinter would use drugs to obtain the physique of a long distance runner? You don't even know why they use steroids ffs!

28. Jessiedog

:hmm:

Woof

29. London_Calling

Well, there's been a conversation based on the absence of out of competition testing in Jamaica. Introducing stuff like "Kenyans, Ethiopians, Morrocans etc" without explanation suggests something less than a Bronze Medal in intellectual rigour.

30. Rutita1

You did Jessie, but it still doesn't prove anyone is up anything...I thought we had established that?:confused: I was being sarcastic because there is a massive scratch on this thread and it keeps jumping back to the same point. NONE of us know for sure regardless of the possibilities, give him the benefit of the doubt.

The good points made on this thread have been recognised but they are proof of nothing....but some seem so adamant it's bound to wind people up.