Jaguar XK8/XK/XKR

Discussion in 'transport' started by ringo, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Always wanted a Jag, what should I know?

As a lad I wanted an XJS. I can't be bothered with old cars any more so likely that's out. I like a bit of comfort and reliability these days. Probably nothing less than ten years old though as they cost too much.

Do any of these offer that? Which are the dogs and which are great?

I'd fancy a convertible. I wouldn't want to get soaked every time it rained.

My preference is based only on appearance, so some actual info would be much appreciated.

XKR is favourite.

No idea which sold well or have aged well/badly. Might never get one, but if I ever managed it, what's the best of the bunch?

Jaguar_XKR_Convertible_front_right.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    plurker likes this.
  2. TruXta

TruXta tired

3. ringo

Thanks TruXta , I'd forgotten that thread from years back. XJS was it?

ETA: Yup Old Jags

Mostly old classics on that thread. XJS the most recent and tbh might still be a bit old for me.

4. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Modern S types are cheap at the moment, but, of course, they're not convertible. I had a look at some this summer and was surprised at how much you got for your money.

5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Pretty cheap insurance, parts, servicing and fuel consumption too :D

dessiato likes this.
  6. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

If its a jag based on a Mondeo you have a chance

If anything else, then you will weep every morning until the day you sell it

A380, kebabking and Badgers like this.
  7. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

That's the X-type isn't it? Jeremy Clarkson actually liked the X-type estate, take that how you will.

8. ringo

Right

9. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

My old boy had an x-type at the same time I had a Mondeo: same age cars (54 plates I think), similar mileage - both bought with less than 20k, but he had the 2.2D while I had the 2.0D.

He had more problems with his than I had with mine. I had none...

His was remarkably small inside - like uncomfortably small for 4 adults on a 2 hour journey, and the boot was about the size of my glovebox.

10. ringo

S and X types are not very inspiring. I think they look like Mondeos or Rovers too.
    I like the ones that look like Jaguars and break down

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    A380, Spymaster and Badgers like this.
  11. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

XJS or nothing.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  12. ringo

I love the XJS but it's age means I probably won't get one.

A bit surprised nobody has had an XK of any description. I knew some of them were very unreliable, is it really all of them?

I'll have to read up elsewhere for some more info.

Might never get one but dreaming is a nice distraction from some of the grimmer realities of life at the moment.

dessiato likes this.
  13. I’ve just had a browse at autotrader. The lookers (XK) are all 4 litre and do a mighty 16 mpg around town. The ones that are more affordable to run don’t look like Jags at all.

kebabking likes this.
  14. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

I've had an XK8 convertible and all I can say is buy one of these because you'll be fucking needing it:

[​IMG]

An E63 630Ci from 2004-7 is faster, more economical, more reliable and a much better car. A 645Ci from the same era is much faster.

kebabking, A380 and not-bono-ever like this.
  15. not-bono-ever

Nikisil? I seem to remember liner issues popping up with these

16. MachineHead

MachineHead New Member

I have a 2001 XKR convertible, it's a reliable car, cheap to maintain (if you do the basic jobs yourself), expensive to maintain if you pay someone else to do it.

The cars are at least 12 years old and up to 22 years old, so are getting on.

A 4.0 XKR is a good choice as it has the Mercedes gearbox as is any 4.2 car which came with a revised 6 speed ZF gearbox.

The original 5 speed ZF in the 4.0 XK8 has a design flaw and tends to fail - expensive repair.

Early cars had Nikasil cylinder liners, which failed killing engines (fixed after 1999)

Early cars had plastic timing components which failed killing engines (fixed after 2001, but many cars have had them updated).

All XK8/Rs rust - they can look great on the outside, but be a basket case underneath. Any rust showing on the outside means £££££s to fix on the underside.

In other words, do your research, find one that has been looked after, isn't rusty, has the latest timing guides (and doesn't have the 5 speed ZF) and you will have a great car which looks like it cost you far more than it did.

Oh and don't spend all your money on the car - keep a few thousand to fix anything the previous owner didn't.

17. ringo

Great, just what I was after

18. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Was sitting next to an old XK8 in traffic recently and imho found it rather dated looking and not in a good way. Apologies to owners.

Go with your heart and just look at the XJS. :cool:

Had a 3.6 that I loved and a 4.0 that I really couldn't get on with, it just made me feel old. :D

Track down a good one like this and you won't be dissapointed.

1989 Jaguar XJS V12 HE For Sale | Car And Classic

Only ever driven a V12, never brave enough to buy one though. Power like a jet. :D

ringo likes this.
  19. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Go pre 2001 for whatever large engined cruiser you choose to get the cheaper road tax.

20. ringo

Cheers for your info, now I know what I want, an XKR. Not about to go and buy one, but at least I know what I'd get if the opportunity arose. I do worry that I'd crash it though, they look a bit fast :eek::D

21. Poi E

Pretty cheap speed when it works.

22. ringo

Yep, quite affordable for a dream car, doubt I'll ever be getting an Interceptor so it's a possible. I have a converted campervan at the moment. Great to drive, but would be best not to be using it for the school run and my trips to the coast when we're not sleeping in it. Mrs R has a tiny Toyota for work so this would be out third car, which would be excessive. I could fit it on the drive, but only in a way that means I'd have to move the other two out of the way to use it.
    I still think these will one day be classics, but I somehow doubt it'll be a keeper or investment when they need work to run and are prone to rust.

23. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's going to be a while, they were in production for nearly 20 years and there are a lot of them about. They don't tend to get modded so there are also lots of original ones. The best thing to do would be buy two ratty ones off ebay, make one good one and part out what's left of the second.

24. ringo

I've already got too many time consuming hobbies to manage that :)

25. Poi E

Go for it. Long nosed cruisers are ace.

dessiato likes this.
  26. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Baron's newsletter just dropped into my inbox. The next auction in a couple of weeks is a Jaguar & Heritage sale.
    Saw this 6ltr XJR-S in black, and thought of you ringo - I could totally see you rolling in this.

kebabking and ringo like this.
  27. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

That steering wheel has allsorts of wrong about it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    ringo likes this.
  28. ringo

It's a lovely thing, but the size of that tweaked engine looks designed for a non speed fiend like me to crash in minutes.
    Why is the steering wheel upside down then?

29. Poi E

Brrr that engine bay. Bet it's engine out for a lot of jobs.

30. not-bono-ever

its a write off. i could think of far better ways to spunk 10k+ I am afraid. that interior is narsty

kebabking likes this.