J18 comes of age...

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by DaveCinzano, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

2. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

Thanks for making me feel really,really old.:D

3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

J18 is now older than I was at the time (16 turning 17). I feel well fucking old :mad:

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Like today it was lovely and sunny :cool:

DaveCinzano likes this.
  5. chilango

We always had long, hot summers back in the day...

6. Pickman's model

Summers with a thousand julys :cool:

Not the fucking half-arsed efforts we're fobbed off with these days :mad:

chilango likes this.
  7. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

Nostalgia. Utter bollocks.

8. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

BUMP
    20th anniversary on Tuesday

Reflective event at MayDay Rooms looks good:
    https://maydayrooms.org/event/20-years-since-j18-carnival-against-capital/
    At the very least, and judging by all the threads on it here, events like this, when put under the Whats The Point microscope, have a key role in (deeply) activating a group of people. The most recent similiar left equivalent in the UK I expect was the student fees and cuts stuff (in fact that probably saw a deeper engagement due to all the preplanning and occupations and length of the campaign). Arguably theres been some far right activation going on since then...

Thats not to say that people don't get equally involved in politics without these flashpoints, but theres something about the scale and work required that is powerful.

RTS definitely had that effect on me, and J18 was eye opening in terms of the level of police violence (and window/car smashing/general law breaking), but I was a pretty passive part in that, just going along for the day outs without really doing anything outside of that related. Very much a punter within that context. Making up numbers really.

It does beg the question why its been so long since anything equivalent has come along. Would be interesting to list the factors...

9. ska invita

actually recently in London in terms of street stuff there has been a lot of antifash things, including lots of local stand up to racism things and theres the extinction rebellion/school strikes stuff bubbling away...climate general strike in September could be interesting. No doubt these will be coming of age moments for lots of people....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    BigTom and Pickman's model like this.
  10. Pickman's model

Far right activation goes back rather further than 2010, you're forgetting the fash attacks on student protests

Also after j18 there was Prague, genoa and evian and Dublin, and the Scotland g8. not to mention the may days.

11. ska invita

no doubt
    not sure exactly what you think i meant, but just in case this bit wasn't clear i was first thinking theres nothing much been going on in the streets of a scale in the last 5 years or so, but then had a sip of tea and remember yes there has been stuff going on, antifash/far right stuff and increasingly envrionmental things.... (excluding anti-brexit and anti-trump stuff for obvious reasons)

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Pickman's model

There's been lots of stuff about housing going on, e15 women, poor doors, but it's never really taken off into a mass movement. There's been grenfell and the silent demos, but again it's never quite developed into a great street movement. What's often forgotten is j18 took 18 months or so to create, it was the result of a lot of people's hard work. It would likely take at least as long now

ska invita likes this.
  13. ska invita

One thing that may be worthy of comment is: is there a generational divide that has opened up between the RTS (and equivalents) and the present day? For example, the coming wave of environmental activism would on paper seem to be an open door for some of that generation to come out and get involved, but my impression is it isnt happening (so far) all that much. There are concrete reasons for that (see criticisms of XR), but still...

totally...and all the previous RTS actions, and other parts of the movement...and all the wider day to day countercultural (lifestyle?) forces underpinning so much of it
    Its not as easy as turning a light on and off, for sure.

14. Pickman's model

I think a major divide is between the old ways of doing things, through personal contact and meetings, and the new way of sorting things out through the Internet esp the way some of xr's decision-making process seems to work

15. chilango

J18 emerged from networks that had been doing stuff for at least 5 or 6 years prior and had gathered a periphery of thousands they could, and had already, bring into the streets.

16. flyingcolumn

flyingcolumn Active Member

Thought this was about the tout McGuinness.

17. DaveCinzano

18. DaveCinzano

19. DaveCinzano

20. DaveCinzano

vanya likes this.
  21. DaveCinzano

22. DaveCinzano

23. DaveCinzano

24. DaveCinzano

25. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

The weather was better.

Sounds like the Mayday Rooms J18 event was rammed.

DaveCinzano likes this.
  26. ska invita

lol just saw myself in the middle of this clip :oops: not looking all that well tbh - not a pleasant experience in fact :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    albionism, DaveCinzano and littleseb like this.
  27. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

ha, i think i might have spotted you! :thumbs:
    (from behind?)

28. ska invita

no mate, full facial :D ill pM you

littleseb likes this.
  29. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

30. DaveCinzano

Some familiar, if older (and as tall as ever) faces in the snaps I've seen :thumbs:

Pickman's model and Fozzie Bear like this.