IWCA anti drug dealing action Oxford

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Red About Town, Mar 19, 2018.

1. TruXta

TruXta tired

You're just making stuff up now. I've already said I support the right of local communities to take action. Seeking explanations for why bad stuff happens is bad now? That's a right wing stance if I ever saw one.

Nigel likes this.
  2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

We don’t know the reasons why they’re dealing. Perhaps it’s likely that they themselves are addicts needing to finance their own habit which means they need more addicts; who then also need a means of support. Which is no solution at all.
    The council/police would no doubt act if it was upsetting folk in the wealthier side of town but are happy with it being ‘contained’ in working class areas. They need to think about long term strategies and I think the IWCA favours doctors being able to prescribe dismorphine and more support for drug services etc.

Nigel likes this.
  3. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

It would be helpful in this case if Blackbird Leys IWCA had explained what had actually been going on in the park.

Nigel, planetgeli and Pickman's model like this.
  4. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Drug dealing?

5. Red Sky

That can mean a whole range of things.

Nigel and Pickman's model like this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh from supplying friends to peddling junk to kids

Nigel likes this.
  7. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Does the leaflet you linked to not accomplish that?

8. Red Sky

It talks about the dealing 10 years before. I'm suggesting that's not the case now, but surprised no one mentioned in the video.

"The reason we're here is that heroin dealers have been using the play park" sort of thing.

Nigel likes this.
  9. The39thStep

Personally I wouldnt want any illegal drugs in a park that it is used by kids and families.

Edie likes this.
  10. Red Sky

There's a discussion to be had about how well the state and local authorities co opt these struggles.

Where I live , there's a system of Local Action Teams who are volunteers. They're the first point of contact for residents raising concerns like these. There are local coppers running teams of PCSOs who's job it is to present a 'listening' face and regular meetings with attendance by councillors and council officials.

They are quite responsive and the two big issues that have come up recently, being mini motos being ridden on the pavement and the death of the estate via mass importation of students have received a lot of scrutiny. So for most angry residents the official channels work.

11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Something based on this sort of understanding?

• The isolation by the community of drug dealers who prey on the community
    • The proper provision of locally based and funded detox centres
    • The establishment of a social contract with users for the proper disposal of needles etc.
    • The decriminalisation of cannabis
    • GPs to be allowed to prescribe heroin in order to administer dosages safely, remove the need for ineffective methadone substitutes and undermine the criminal black market
    • A review of the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act
    All the things that you see as useful have been and are being done by the IWCA in Oxford. They haven't set up and ran athletics and sport clubs and other initiative soley for love of sport for example.

Sunset Tree, Almor, Sue and 6 others like this.
  12. Red Sky

Me neither. But there's a difference between teenagers having a joint on the swings and people leaving needles behind .

Nigel likes this.
  13. The39thStep

Up for the community and the people who use the park to decide imo

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I remember when the below and the aggressive community policing of it was celebrated as an inspiring example of community resistance - not to mention the panthers:

toxteth.jpg

Nigel, stethoscope, cantsin and 2 others like this.
  15. The39thStep

This style of community policing/problem solving , usually with the local authority and health services involved is pretty much used across the UK. I agree it can be quite responsive.However even when there was some cash around public services you still had competing priorities within the agencies, gaps within provision,and the invetable time lag in getting agencies to either shift funding or deliver the solution. They also tend to be agency led rather than community led.
    Very often targets across the borough can be met without really tackling the areas or pockets of high crime and asb.

16. Red Sky

Has it changed much since the IWCA started?

PCSOs have been brought in for that part of the community that wants to see "bobbies on the beat" for example.

Nigel likes this.
  17. The39thStep

Not sure if you mean has the IWCA had an impact on local policing or has local policing changed in the lifetime of the IWCA.Community policing and crime and disorder partnerships have been going on for nearly two decades. The shift to local partnership problem solving begain about 15 years ago , followed by a focus on measuring community satisfaction etc. Whether there was the will to tackle some of these issues in some of these areas is debatable in the first place . Working class areas suffer disporoprtionately from higher crime and asb rates. With the cuts to the public services its always going to be those areas that lose out the most.

18. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

To be honest I don't even like seeing people having a few cans or whatever in the park near the playground bit never mind illegal drugs.

The39thStep likes this.
  19. Red Sky

Certainly when it came up here it was definitely a teenager thing.

They need somewhere else to hang out and get stoned of an evening .

Nigel likes this.
  20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Yeah, maybe.

Not the kids' playground though. Hence the IWCA doing a bunch of other stuff alongside this I guess?

21. Red Sky

That's been our proposed solution here. Some kind of bus shelter. Ostensibly for another purpose.

Nigel likes this.
  22. Pickman's model

a drug AbusE shelter?

Nigel, Wilf and Red Sky like this.
  23. Red Sky

The thinking is that if we call it "The Cool Kidz Hangout Space" they won't go near it. If they think they've cheekily misappropriated it then they might stop leaving cider bottles and little baggies by the swings.

24. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Also worth pointing out that this action by the IWCA puts pressure on agencies etc who are supposed to be implementing longer term and strategic solutions to these issues.

It can shame them into action and work against their seemingly innate tendency to ignore this stuff in w/c areas.

25. Pickman's model

they have no shame

26. The39thStep

We trialled five of these about ten years ago in our borough. Good idea in theory but in practice but they need contact with detached youth workers who work weekends and evenings or local community police visits or ownership by a school. Probably best to get the kids to agree to some form of behaviour . Otherwise you face the possibility of litter, broken bottles, underage drinking , drugs and bullying . We had a nasty sexual assault in one.

Nigel and Red Sky like this.
  27. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

ar
    including weed ?

Nigel likes this.
  28. Red Sky

Not during the daytime.

29. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Including weed.

And alcohol. And tobacco.

LynnDoyleCooper and Red Sky like this.
  30. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

...and, yes, we need more free, open, public spaces of all kinds. But - for me at least - the need for a space for kids to play trumps the need for a space for people to drink/smoke/take drugs.

Edie, mather, Nigel and 7 others like this.