1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IWCA anti drug dealing action Oxford

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Red About Town, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

It's not either/or is it? Any more than having a community litter pick detracts from campaigning against plastic packaging.

2. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Rape, murder and abuse are all seperate offences. This action seems to focus on addressing drug dealing. So if the authorities are suitably rattled, what do you think they'll do? Honestly? They'll bust a few shotters, most likely the stupider, younger more vunernable ones who are visible. Kick in the doors of some addicts who are selling bit to fund their habits... same old same old.

If the heroes of this action were to maybe look much higher up the foodchain I'd might have some sympathy. But calling on the state to crack down on the most excluded doesn't sit well with me personally

3. TruXta

TruXta tired

You can only deal with what's in front of you. Often times the higher ups are people that aren't known to the local community, or live elsewhere. Still waiting for you to suggest something apart from voting Lib Dems or signing online petitions.

4. mod

mod A modernist

We need to change the law.

Lots of pubs have kids playgrounds in their gardens and its a lovely combination on a Sunday. We do it often. Eat and get a little pissed whilst the kids play.Its kids playing in a playground surrounded by intoxicated adults who are buying drugs (booze) from drug dealers (a Fullers brewery pub for example).

Now,Illegal drugs give local gangs (which is realistically a group of mates who are normal people but prepared to take risks) a huge chance to make lots of money. Times that by two and three and they'll start feuding over areas and supply contacts and unpaid debts which can end in violence . The drugs they sell will be cut with all sorts of shit to increase profits because some people (unfortunately) are greedy by nature. Some people get ill. Some die as a result of impurities.

If pure drugs could be procured legally and used responsibly in designated areas like Pubs, parties, injecting rooms, therapy sessions, coffee shops or at home. Kids playground would be for the kids.

Am i wrong to think this?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Nigel likes this.
  5. nogojones

So your only answer is to call on the state to be harsher and to accuse anyone who doesn't think standing about in the park is an effective solution a Lib Dem :D

By "dealing with only what's in front of you" you fuck over the most excluded and do absolutely nothng to address the real problem.

Nigel likes this.
  6. TruXta

TruXta tired

No, I support community organisation against anti social drug dealing. While you propose fuck all of any substance.

7. nogojones

Ideas and actons that might have an impact on the problems caused by dealing/drugs in the communiity might include engaging with disaffected local youths, trying to get them involved in activites that ain't anti-social, fighting the closure of youth services and drug services, actions against the local council calling for easy access to substitute medications including drugs of choice (e.g. diamorphine) and safer injecting rooms which will take the problem and associated drug litter out of the parks. These are all activities that I've been involved with personally, but they don't have any hard man glamour so it must be just liberal

Criminalising the youth ain't gonna make the problem go away and a bunch of wannabe vigilantes really ain't the solution

Nigel, emanymton and mod like this.
  8. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Maybe they could highlight smack dealing in a park by going to the shopping centre? You daft twat.

Nigel, Smokeandsteam and Ho Chi Ming like this.
  9. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

Who’s “ letting “ dealers “ kill, rape + abuse as they please “ ? Where is this actually happening, apart from bad films and Daily Mail readers nightmares / yr imagination ?

editor likes this.
  10. TruXta

TruXta tired

Funny how you don't mention ending prohibition there. Fwiw I think all those
    are good things, but in the climate of austerity relying on state action is a dead end.

You saying that these things don't happen?

11. TruXta

TruXta tired

Just as a data point, in the year ending March 2015, one in seven homicide suspects were known drug dealers. Even accounting for poor data quality it sure seems like drug dealers do a lot more killing than other groups of people.

Homicide - Office for National Statistics

Riklet likes this.
  12. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Yet the goal (or 1 of them at least) of this particular action seems to be to call on the state to take action ?

13. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Interesting. An extra aspect to this is that councils have no obligation in law to maintain parks and a lot of motivation to sell the land to developers. Here where i live (Loughborough Junction) the tiny scrap of a park round the corner by the railway arches has been, to some extent i think, purposefully left to dealers so that in their latest plans the council can say that it is a site for antisocial behaviour and would be no loss to the community were it turned into flats: Parks and playgrounds need to be fought for.

mather, Nigel, crossthebreeze and 3 others like this.
  14. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

And the IWCA has done pretty much all of those over the years. And continues to organise an athletics club for local kids and has links with local boxing and martial arts clubs.

Some reading might be helpful -- not sure how up to date this is but it should give you an idea about the IWCA fighting cuts to youth services and trying to get extra funding for drug services, as well as flagging that when asked (and they were asked a lot) people living locally stated that class A drug dealing on the estate was their number 1 concern.

That reduced as things improved -- it could be argued due to work by the IWCA on the ground and in the council chamber -- but it seems things have got worse again, no doubt for the same reasons as before.

IWCA national website

15. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

so for you it's a denial of service issue? And in raising their voices the IWCA have a moral obligation to ensure the safe and secure continuation of local drugs trade. In a park.

I never really thought the 'oh but who will think of the drugs dealers' narrative still had legs.

16. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

One of the things they achieved in the campaign a decade or so ago was to wrest control of the local community centre from gangsters and back to the community which led to a community radio station amongst other things. Of course alongside vigilantism the criticism at that time was that they were ‘racist’.
    If it had been a football club they were trying to save from nasty developers I’m sure there’d be a lot more support so I can only assume people don’t like the idea of not being able to have their weekend sniff and communities should just suck it up.

Nigel, likesfish, Wilf and 3 others like this.
  17. TruXta

TruXta tired

At some point that's probably necessary yes, whether that's decriminalisation or legalisation at one end, or increase in funds on another. My point is one can't and shouldn't rely entirely on the state to sort this mess out. And that has both political and economic reasons.

stethoscope likes this.
  18. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Believe it or not none of my three suggestions were serious ones.

19. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

No its not wrong to think this but sometimes its worth thinking through what you have first thought before saying anything.

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  20. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

Who's letting dealers " rape , kill , abuse... as they please " ?

21. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Yes.

As we have learnt from this thread some would choose to side with the dealers if it came down to it. Some would hand out 'drug education leaflets' and presumably attempt to educate young scamps away from predatory behaviour. Others would attempt to motivate the community to lobby the state for a more rounded approach to drug taking up to and including legalisation. Others will advise communities to sit tight and wait for the unfairness of capitalist society to melt away whilst emphaising that the dealers are victims too.

Fucking hell.

22. Smokeandsteam

I thought it had died out as well - possibly breathing its last in a Polytechnic Sociology department around 1992. I was wrong.

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

The police and authorities, and communities in as far as they are powerless. I'm not saying all dealers murder and abuse, but if you don't believe these things are more common in drug land then you need to get your head checked.

Nigel likes this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

You do realise it is possible to be both a victim and a perpetrator? Or is that a bit complicated?

Nigel and bimble like this.
  25. Smokeandsteam

You do realise what a smug middle class twat you sound like don't you? Or is that a bit dismissive?

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  26. TruXta

TruXta tired

Yes, let's not try to understand the reasons for people turning to crime. Wouldn't want to make life complicated would we? Cunt.

Nigel likes this.
  27. Smokeandsteam

'Dealers are victims of the system too'. Pathetic.

28. TruXta

TruXta tired

Dealers are often victims of abuse themselves. How fucking hard is that to understand? It doesn't excuse what they do, it's an explanation, you daft fuck.

Nigel and nogojones like this.
  29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Come on. The people hanging about in the park are probably massively overrepresented in the figures for dead teenagers from turf wars and £5 deals gone wrong etc that we get every year. The people who make the real money aren't.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Nigel and likesfish like this.
  30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

The injustice of people not wanting them dealing in a communal space where kids play.

The39thStep likes this.