IWCA anti drug dealing action Oxford

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Red About Town, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

alan = a snowflake, having a pop at iwca from the safety of the internet. The actual snowflakes in the video not having the slightest impact on the people in the park or what they are doing.

Smokeandsteam and The39thStep like this.
  2. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

it sounded like a reasonable /considered response to IWCA piece from Alan , rather than "having a pop "- and we're all on the internet here, are you a snowflake as well for "having a pop" at Alan from behind the safety of your keyboard, rather than the man of action we all hope you are ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Nigel likes this.
  3. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

it is literally a 4 minute video of a bunch of residents voicing their concern about drug dealing in the local park. That's it. As a reasonable/considered response (response to what exactly, what's he responding to; the poor camera shots? the crap footwear in the background?) he bangs on about standing in parks, mistakes those in the video for local social services before demanding what are they gonna do? Do about what?

seventh bullet and The39thStep like this.
  4. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Are you gonna stand outside the pubs to make it harder to deal booze as well?

Nigel likes this.
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

It's generally accepted that to get served in pubs you need to go up to the bar. Unless there's table service of course, in which case is it even a pub?

6. nogojones

and I don't think you need access to a park to sell drugs

7. TruXta

TruXta tired

True, but after all many a park is popular with drug dealers. Unlike publicans, drug dealers don't need a licence.

8. nogojones

Maybe we should concentrate or efforts on getting them licenced then?

Nigel likes this.
  9. TruXta

TruXta tired

And in the intervening years before that might or might not come to pass?

10. stuff_it

stuff_it stirred the primordial soup

What else are the roadman dem meant to do for cash?

11. nogojones

I think campaigning for more sensible drug policy might be more effective than playing on the swings

Nigel likes this.
  12. nogojones

Take it from the rich

13. TruXta

TruXta tired

Cuz it's worked so well to date.

14. nogojones

Well more and more countries are adopting or looking into more liberal drug laws, so I'd say it is working somewhat, where as I've not seen much of an evidence base for standing in the park

15. TruXta

TruXta tired

We're not on about Portugal or the US. In the UK drug laws have gotten harsher if anything over the last 10-15 years, despite a more vocal liberalisation movement.

16. nogojones

It just strikes of hating the player and not the game

17. TruXta

TruXta tired

So what? It's desirable to want to understand the wider factors that drive people into a criminal career, but that doesn't excuse the violence and abuse that follows does it?

18. nogojones

Have I excused the violence or abuse in this unregulated industry? Or am I advocating for a more effective way of addressing it.

Maybe I'm out of touch with street dealing, but I don't think a local park is a prerequisite

Nigel likes this.
  19. TruXta

TruXta tired

The park stuff is besides the point. And yes, you do effectively excuse violence and abuse when you say "don't hate the player, hate the game".

20. nogojones

But it is the nature of the game here that is the problem that creates the player and associated violence. Standing in the park, or on a corner or outside a bookies or wherever is just pissing in the wind unless you seriously address the cause of this problem - prohibition

mod and Nigel like this.
  21. TruXta

TruXta tired

I'd like to see prohibition end too, but in the meantime what do you suggest should happen in places where the authorities are unable or unwilling to stop the destruction of local communities?

22. nogojones

At best though, this will just move it round the corner or to shotters doing more corner / alleyway deliveries. Are you asking for the authorities to enforce the laws harsher? because thats what it strikes of

23. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

If it means the park is useable again for everybody else then, yeah, shift 'em round the corner to the alleyways for now.

maomao likes this.
  24. TruXta

TruXta tired

At best anti-social drug dealing will be driven into areas where authorities have the will and means to bring the violence and chaos to an end. Posh areas preferrably.

25. nogojones

So it is about encouraging the authorities to be more repressive?

Nigel likes this.
  26. TruXta

TruXta tired

Is it about letting drug dealers kill, rape and abuse as they please until blessed prohibition is here? You're seemingly suggesting that fuck all should be done. Is that right?

Smokeandsteam likes this.
  27. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

and minimum unit pricing and a seat on the local park committee, whilst we're about why dont we license human trafficking as well?

Magnus McGinty and Smokeandsteam like this.
  28. TruXta

TruXta tired

Not quite the same is it? Whether you like drugs yourself or not, to compare it to human trafficking is just daft.

Nigel likes this.
  29. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Latin American drug gangs manage to be involved in both

30. TruXta

TruXta tired

And? How would a regulated legal drug market be in any way comparable to human trafficking? That's what nogo was on about, not giving drug gangs a licence under the current system of production and supply.