IWCA anti drug dealing action Oxford

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Red About Town, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Red About Town

Red About Town Well-Known Member

Saw this on FB. Looks like an excellent initiative by the local branch of the IWCA against drug dealing and anti social behaviour in their community. Hopefully it gets the support and media attention that it deserves to.

2. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

You cannot stand in that park forever so what are your long term strategies/goals. Even if you do stand in that park there is another one nearbye. Do you have any plans to refer people to agencies which offer support regarding issues of drug use/mental health etc.Just what are you gonna do?

SpookyFrank, nogojones and stuff_it like this.
  3. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

The curtain twitchers, eh.

4. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

You don't need to stand in it all day - that's the point. It's a park in use. And if there another park nearby? OK, let's go there and every single park until they're in a well off area.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

they do things a mite differently in ireland

[​IMG]

6. TruXta

TruXta tired

Are they about to shoot eachother?

alex_ likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

if you think they're aiming at each other you should take a trip to specsavers

8. TruXta

TruXta tired

Did I write that they were aiming at each other? Think carefully pixie lad.

9. Pickman's model

did i write that you wrote that they were aiming at each other? just think, lad.

10. TruXta

TruXta tired

Good start to the day when I can out-pedant pickmans :thumbs:

Nigel likes this.
  11. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

More important than support and media attention is the adoption of the same approach elsewhere.

Drug dealing, anti social behaviour, cuts to local services etc are present everywhere. For those professing to offer progressive solutions here is a tried and tested model that could be adopted.

12. Pickman's model

you can out-pedant anyone on what i believe you term 'the boreds' without breaking a sweat.

Nigel likes this.
  13. Wilf

Wilf Cocksucking Angry Columbo

Make a start? Just what they are doing.

Nigel, muscovyduck and Fozzie Bear like this.
  14. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

What sort of drug dealing was going on?

Nigel, TopCat and Pickman's model like this.
  15. mod

mod A modernist

End prohibition.

No more drug dealers in the park.

16. mod

mod A modernist

They missed a full stop after 'DRUGS'. Northern Irish pricks.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But unaccountable, unelected armed vigilantes - possibly with all sorts of grudges and issues and agendas - are just fine.

Nigel, likesfish and mod like this.
  18. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Apologies for FB link but here's the leaflet.

Nigel and Dom Traynor like this.
  19. Smokeandsteam

In drug saturated areas there is a reliance on support/acquiscence/silence from the wider community by the gangs. This is enforced through violence and threats of violence but also through complex networks within communities. There is often a wider cache of respect for the gangs due to their ostentatious wealth and power. Over time this draws more and more of the youth in the community towards the gangs and the 'lifestyle'. The lifestyle involves a pathology of violence that asserts that the gangs run things.

The impact on communities living amongst this is significant. I have seen this happen. Members of my own family - no shrinking violets themselves - and many others moved away from their estate in Birmingham once it became contested territory between two gangs fighting for control over dealing there. Whilst they would never say it, they were shocked and maybe scared by the casual nature of the violence and the ferocity of it. A once proud and self sufficient community broke up over the space of three years and the estate now is drug infested and used to dump migrants in. Anyone who could get out got out. Can you blame them?

You are clearly queasy against the rest of the community doing something about situations like this - before the drug gangs tear ther community to pieces - unless they hold elections and the community has the power of instant recall. Perhaps you'd also like to invite the gangs to these meetings to record who was successfuly elected?

I'm assuming you accept that the police are unlikely to be able to rectify this state of affairs. I also assume that we agree that the war on drugs isn't addressing the problem.

So, precisely what is your solution?

20. souljacker

souljacker Those tapas loving FUCKS

I'm guessing the editor is commenting on the NI situation, which involves kneecapping dealers, rather than the IWCA situation which involves hanging around in the affected parks making it harder for the dealers to operate (that's my understanding of what they are up to anyway).

21. Smokeandsteam

I assumed that as well.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Indeed. That's why my comment quoted the picture of the two hooded twats waving their guns about. I'd rather have dealers than those people around (not that I want either on my patch, thanks very much).
    You clearly should apologise for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Oh, and I know exactly what it's like to live on a drug dealing estate with all the unpleasant associated crime and violence.

Yellow police incident boards, gun shootings on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, Lambeth, London SW9, October 2006

23. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

" There is often a wider cache of respect for the gangs due to their ostentatious wealth and power."

no easy answers here, and respect the idea of communities self organising vs dealers...but when it comes to the reality of 'gang life / drug dealers' , that Malcolm Gladwell ( or similar ) stat of 80 % of all convicted drug dealers in the US living with their mums can be a useful little reminder of the socio economic realities of dealing / gang life, well outside of the worn out, spectacularised mass media tropes

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  24. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Problem solving at its finest. Whatever you do. Don't. You have been warned.

25. Smokeandsteam

I'm not talking about 'mass media tropes', I'm talking about the direct experience of anyone who has lived in these areas. I'm also talking about the nexus that emerges and grows in drug saturated communities and the impact that this has on the confidence and well being of the wider community.

26. Smokeandsteam

So translated that means 'I don't have any solutions and instead will post a link to an incident 12 years ago and pretend its a binary choice between 'hooded twats' and drug gangs and if forced to choose I'd be with the gangs'. Lol

27. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

standing in a park getting battered by drifting snowflakes, how apt.

28. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

and i was talking about the 'ostentatious wealth and power' you referred to ( very much a 'mass media trope') , which a huge majority of drug dealing has nothing much to with, it tends to be about poverty, and an absence of 'power' .

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    TopCat and existentialist like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I do wish you'd stop stuffing words in my mouth. But just to clear things up: do you support gun waving nutcases as a means of getting rid of drug dealers (I assume you never do drugs yourself)?

30. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I dont understand this.Can you explain a bit more?