It's the biannual PJ Harvey thread.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Stanley Edwards, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. R.I.P.

I love her.

Bring them on :)

2. Stanley Edwards

Come on you fuckers.

3. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Biannual thread? Does that mean there's another PJ Harvey thread? Why not post to that one rather than starting a new one? ;)

4. Stanley Edwards

The boards would die.

5. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

We were chatting about her in the pub tonight. She is wonderful, of course.

6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

7. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

8. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

There's obviously someone in government with a bit of taste, musically. Oh God, it's probably Cameron *mind explodes*

skyscraper101 likes this.
  9. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Don't worry, it's not for music but for her tireless work on behalf of foxhunting.

rich! likes this.
  10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Just listening to The Hope Six Demolition Project for the first time.

Any Urban opinions on it so far?

11. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

best British female artist

12. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

I like what I've heard of the new stuff. I'm always impressed by how much musical depth and intensity she can squeeze out of a few simple chord patterns.

13. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

On a painful train journey that's been massively improved by the new album on repeat. I was late to the PJ party and loved the last album. This is more in a.similar vein so fans of her old stuff.might think otherwise but I think its ace. The title track and back story is great. There's a piece in the Washington post written by the fella who drove her around Hope 6, not realising who she was and would appear it was his words used in the song.

14. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Just played it though for the first time. I think I probably need to give it a few more listens, but initially I quite like A Line In The Sand and The Wheel.

15. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Got it on now - I really liked The Ministry of Defence and The Wheel so far.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  16. Voley

Voley Ramoner

My first impressions are that it's very good. Particularly the dirty bluesy ones. Really like 'The Ministry Of Social Affairs' with its Captain Beefheart skronking sax and all that - Polly is fucking ace at this. I also really like the call/response ones where her band sing along with her - very Bad Seedsy and that's always a good thing. Elsewhere, there are the sort of 'Stories From The City ..' big choruses that I've not heard from her in a while. Couple of songs that sounded a bit iffy at first but may or may not grow on me, I dunno. I'm going to see her live this Summer for the first time in a few years and I'm looking forward to that a lot now.

17. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Im confused. Is there an album out?

18. Favelado

Okay. I just Spotify downloaded it. First 30 seconds fantastic.

19. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

20. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

It's brilliant.

21. Favelado

River Anacostia has just started. Sounds like it could be the best track so far. Album will definitely require repeat listening to get more out of it. Sounds more similar to "Let England Shake" than I expected.

neonwilderness likes this.
  22. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I've been listening to it over the weekend quite a bit and it's definitely grown on me. On first listen I thought it was good but probably one her lesser works like Uh Huh Her or Stories..., but having got into it more I think it's better than those albums. I don't think it's as complete as Let England Shake but it's very good.

PursuedByBears likes this.
  23. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Sounds to me from these comments like this album is a bit shit but noone wants to say it.

24. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Not the best. The gf is an obsessive fan (went to a couple of the recording sessions for it) and doesn't care for some of the songs, though it's growing on me. The lyrics seem a bit short on metaphor in places, a bit dull maybe.

She's pissed off a group in the bit of Washington she calls a shithole in one of the songs:

Community of Hope's Response to PJ Harvey | Community of Hope

But then as they appear to have funding from the American Enterprise Institute, they aren't exactly joined-up thinkers and can go fuck themselves.

Part 2 likes this.
  25. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

It's PJ Harvey. I know it will be megatastic without having to listen to a single track.

26. Part 2

Part 2 bizarre wanking accident

As I said above....this fella seems to think the words were his rather than hers.

I gave a famous rock star a windshield tour of D.C. — and didn’t know who she was

27. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

I thought Let England Shake was a bit disappointing (perhaps just overhyped - even a disappointing PJ album beats the crap out of most things) but I love A Woman A Man Walked By to distraction. Will I like the new album?

28. Griff

Griff Hardly posting anymore

Bought it the other day and apart from The Wheel didn't like any of it.

29. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Hard to say. I'm one of the few that didn't like Let England Shake, too, and I like this one a lot. A Woman A Man Walked By didn't do anything for me, either.

So that's probably not very helpful is it? :D

Badgers, billy_bob and Dr. Furface like this.
  30. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Same here