Italian election

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by brogdale, Feb 25, 2013.

1. treelover

treelover Well-Known Member

2. A brilliant report

dennisr likes this.
  3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

4. butchersapron

Wu-Ming have now finshed the translation of

Grillismo: Yet another right-wing cult coming from Italy

Best thing i've seen on this yet - do read it. i noted that aside from Dario Fo in the picture above (and also noted in the article) that bifo - another 68-77 veteran - has sort of come out in favour of Grillo as their existence essentially "make the country ungovernable" and goes as far as to endorses their program as the way out of the crisis.

classicdish, dennisr, teqniq and 2 others like this.
  5. treelover

6. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Good piece. People should read this.

secret squirrel and Idris2002 like this.
  7. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

[​IMG]

Oh dear. . . this means they've drunk the black-shirted kool aid. The far-right tried to muscle in on the Pirate Party here in Deutschland and they got booted out sharpish. That's despite the Piraten being a group of silly naive geeks and nerds.

ska invita, frogwoman and Random like this.
  8. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

Pure speculation, but I bet the 5star movement is riddled with Italy's conspiraloons.

Jeremiah18.17, frogwoman and dennisr like this.
  9. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

I told my Italian colleague about this Wu Ming piece, and she went "Yay, Wu Ming - I remember them from the '90s".

And she agrees Grillo is dodgy - his latest wheeze is declaring that he wants 100% of the votes.

I think we've seen this movie before.

frogwoman and Random like this.
  10. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

The main difference is that currently there's no open working class revolt that a populist right wing wants to crush. Rather it seems like "anti politics" parties like this are simply shooting at an open goal, created by the death of the mass radical working class movement and the continuing alienation of everyday life. Plus added urgency since the great recession started.

11. butchersapron

Internal tensions:

Beppe Grillo condemns his MPs for breaking voting pact

12. copliker

copliker ...

John Foot says Grillo confirms that his movement will not take part in today's (Liberation Day) commemorations of anti-fascist resistance.

13. treelover

14. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

15. butchersapron

New govt being sworn in as this was happening.

16. butchersapron

And round they go again, but this time they'll be a real left party, a left-left party, not a centre-left party!

17. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Well-Known Member

Another analysis of the M5S has just been published here. Written by someone on the ground in Italy it explains the movement's success as a call to clean up Italian politics.

18. copliker

copliker ...

19. where to

where to Well-Known Member

20. treelover

Just read that, bit of a mix, from the far right to anti-globalisation groups, I suspect we will see many more of these as austerity and poverty increases,

maybe not here though.

21. treelover

Apparently the main leaders of the movement are concerned about far right infiltration and have called a halt to marches, but others plan to 'march on rome!'

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  22. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

:facepalm:

23. treelover

That is what is being quoted in some sources,

24. treelover

Major demonstration has been confirmed for Wednesday 18 December in Rome

25. sihhi

sihhi John 3:30

To keep an eye out for -

PM Renzi faces heavy defeat in Italy mayoral elections - exit polls

In the run-off ballot in Rome, the 5-Star candidate, Virginia Raggi was likely to win a commanding 62-66 percent of the vote, according to the EMG pollster, against 34-38 percent for the centre-left's Roberto Giachetti.

In perhaps the biggest potential blow to Renzi, the PD risks a shock defeat in one of its traditional heartlands, Turin, the home of carmaker Fiat, where its incumbent Piero Fassino was trailing the 5-Star's candidate Chiara Appendino.
    Appendino was set to win 49.5-53.5 percent of the vote, compared with 46.5-50.5 percent for Fassino, pollsters said.

26. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

Confirmed victories for 5 star mayoral candidates in both Rome and Turin. Very bad indeed for renzi. Means just one of the 4 big cities has a PD mayor (Milan)

27. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Milan having a PD mayor is/was a bit of a surprise no?

28. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

Not massive. PD occupies the center-ground so solidly, it's absolutely the party of choice for business. And nowhere does the voice of business resonate more loudly.

29. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

Lega01.JPG
    Lega02.JPG
    Lega03.JPG

don't know if this is readable

similar link from 2012

Bulletin of Italian Politics
    Vol. 4, No. 2, 2012, 277-294

The Northern League in the ‘Red Belt’ of
    Italy
    Giovanni Barbieri
    University of Perugia

https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_264090_en.pdf

30. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

[​IMG]

... Must be a factor id imagine. Minority view overall, but low support comparatively