Isaac Asimov's World of 2019

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Yossarian, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

In 1984, Isaac Asimov wrote about what he thought the world of 2019 would be like, and it's interesting reading today.

He got a lot of things wrong - there aren't any space settlements, factories in space, or mining on the moon, and technology certainly hasn't reversed the deterioration of the environment.

But he got a lot of things right as well - computerisation has eliminated untold numbers of jobs, and mobile devices are everywhere - he thought they would be robots, and I guess the smartphones of today have probably got more in common with robots than with the telephones of 1984.

35 years ago, Isaac Asimov was asked by the Star to predict the world of 2019. Here is what he wrote | The Star

girasol, yield, a_chap and 3 others like this.
  2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Thanks for posting that - interesting. I read a lot of his books as a kid.

He certainly got this bit completely wrong.

Yossarian likes this.
  3. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Population growth figures really seemed to fall off a cliff not long after 1984 - I don't think anybody then would have predicted that 35 years later, China would be encouraging people to have more children.

farmerbarleymow and NoXion like this.
  4. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Hi Yossarian interesting stuff, thanks for posting it. The things he was out on, space mining and space populations he might have just got the projection wrong, what I mean is they are possible, and there are moves in that direction, we just aren't there yet.

5. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

He was way off on the space front but that's largely due to a failing of imagination on the part of politicians (Nixon in particular) rather than Asimovs. He was sort of half right on the subject of robots, he believed that robots wuld be humanoid since human shaped robots could then use human tools, Building such robots has turned out to be a lot more complicated than anyone in the early 80's probably envisaged.
    It has turned out to be much easier to build simpler robots that are actually integrated into the tools rather than using them.
    I've interacted with 2 robots today simple ones that have replaced a human doing those jobs, it's just they're square boxes rather than human shaped.

Yossarian likes this.
  6. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

He got that wrong because it's military technology that spearheads innovation. Smartphones are just a civilian compilation of military technology.