Is there any cheap accommodation in Oxford that isn't a Travelodge or a hostel?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by madzone, Jun 27, 2012.

1. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

Google is not being my friend here :mad:

2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Days Inn Oxford M40

stuff_it and dessiato like this.
  3. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

When we were there about four weeks ago we went to the tourist info office who found us a B&B for £70 for one night, and it was a cheaper one. Really if you want to be in the city you need to book well in advance, but it is not cheap. I would go for travelodge simply because they are reliable. IME I wouldn't stay in Oxford if I could avoid it, you might get amuch better deal if you stay outside the city and use public transport to get in and out.

4. madzone

Yeah, I always forget that other places have public transport :D

Thanks for that, I'll bear it in mind. There's an exhibition on that me (and maybe a friend) want to go and see which finishes on 26th September so we have time to search.

5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

iirc there's a Travelodge next to one of the Park & Ride car parks which makes getting in and out easy.

Greebo likes this.
  6. BoatieBird

BoatieBird Well-Known Member

You do recall correctly!
    It's at the Peartree park and ride:
    http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/60/Oxford-Peartree-hotel

Good regular bus service from there into the centre of Oxford.

7. artyfarty

artyfarty A shed on a ditch.

We stayed here
    The Crooked Pot
    200 Abingdon Road
    Oxford, OX1 4RA
    01865 200 055

a month or so ago, not far from town, friendly people, really great breakfast, proper quality cooking, basic room, clean and comfortable.
    It's a pub with rooms above run by a Swiss guy and his missis, pubs a bit soul less. would go again, it was difficult to find anything we found.

Greebo likes this.
  8. George & Bill

George & Bill semiotically superfluous

9. Mr Smin

Mr Smin Registered Luser

Where are you travelling from? Oxford is a day trip from London, Bristol, or Brum.

10. madzone

Cornwall

11. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Used to be called the Berkshire House and was genuinely one of the shittiest pubs I've ever been in.

12. Frankie Jack

Frankie Jack Not a bloke..

Have a look around the Abingdon area for Bnbs/cheaper hotels Mads. I lived there for 5 years and it's a lovely town with frequent bus travel to Oxford.

13. Mapped

Mapped London town

Just resurrecting this, as I'm here for 3 days and I feel like Alan Partridge. I've my tent in the back of the car. Might sack it off if the weather gets nicer.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

We stayed at the YHA. Cheap and cheerful.

15. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Yeah tbf that ain't a daytrip, it's a turn up and have a nap to recover from the travel and then hope you have the energy to do something else that day trip.

I hope you find somewhere lovely to stay. Or at the very least, somewhere warm and dry with breakfast :D

16. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Agreed. The YHA is relatively (less than 15 years) new and has private rooms.

Oxford Backpackers is hilarious, but really not for people our age. 4 to a room is just not my thing any more. :)

Slo-mo and editor like this.