Is there a Windows/Android To Do/Outliner list app that looks like Bonsai from Natura?

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Dec 5, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

to-do.jpg

I need something to keep track of all the bookings/promotion/etc that I'm putting into my gigs.

Way back in Palm days there was a program that let me copy and paste a template for each venue, tick off all the to-dos while displaying how much work was left to do.

Anyone got any recommendations for something simple to use - and importantly for me - attractive to look at?

Cheers

2. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

The task list thing in outlook is good but obviously part of office so costs.

74drew likes this.
  3. nadia

nadia Well-Known Member

One note, admittedly its awful but you might get on with it better than me

4. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I just meant the task list thing in outlook. You can create tasks from emails and set priorities and link them to contacts.

One note is horrid!

5. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Spreadsheet!

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not attractive to look at.

I wish I could remember the name of the Palm app I used - maybe they carried on and developed it for other platforms...

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ah, this was the software I used on my Palm. Not the prettiest but it was excellent. Loved the way it showed you the progress of sub tasks as well as the overall work done.

upload_2018-12-5_20-9-21.jpeg

[​IMG]

Natara Bonsai | Dr Andus's toolbox

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Nope:

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

11. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Not really - least not in the way I could make it work. This was how Bonsai looked in Ye Olde Palm. I liked the simplicity of its layout and its simplicity - and especialyl the progress bars

[​IMG]

And the desktop client:

[​IMG]

It all looks dated now but if I could find something like with a pretty Android/Windows interface, I'm in!

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's probably the closest but it's not cheap. I don't like being ted into monthly payments for anything software-related and would prefer an actual program rather than solely browser based.

I know, picky....

14. cybershot

You're probably better looking for MS Project type based software instead if you want the progress bars. But they tend to cost an arm and a leg and may be OTT. No doubt some freeware alternatives. Otherwise as someone pointed out, spreadsheets will do the job if you're prepared to put the time in to make it look fancy. You can add checkboxes and pull down options and pull it all into charts etc.

Quickly Compare 10 Microsoft Project Alternatives For Creating Gantt Charts - The Digital Project Manager

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If a home developer could do it on a Palm in the 90s, surely there's got to be something half-decent that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or look rubbish?

16. cybershot

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I saw that ages ago - but it does not work on Android and you still need to buy a licence for the 9 year old software to work. I really want something modern and properly supported.

18. cybershot

Ah sorry, thought you was a after a desktop app as we're in that sub forum. OP doesn't mention Android.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This a bit similar but still rocking that Office 2000 vintage look:

[​IMG]

Fann Software

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've updated the thread title - I thought I mentioned it at the beginning - sorry!

22. cybershot

The user of the aforementioned blog who seems to love Bonsai even more than you, is mentioning something called workflowy instead.

Using Natara Bonsai with WorkFlowy

Sadly the homepage of workflowy doesn't give much away!

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'mm trawling through a lad of recommendations now but thanks for that one.

This one looks good
    TaskUnifier

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bah. Bonsai won't install anyway (I've tried compatibility settings too)

arse.jpg

25. cybershot

Try the zip version and point it at the folder you unzipped the archive too.

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What's what I did. I'll try the .exe version instead.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I managed to install it. Damn it's still the best thing I've found so far - so flippin' easy to use - but I don't want to put all my eggs in the basket of long-discontinued, unsupported software....

2018-12-06_150214.jpg

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm posting more here in the hope it may be useful for folks looking for something similar.

This one is really slick but no progress meter/display
    Home - Dynalist

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Unbelievably I'm still spending time looking up alternatives but nothing has his the spot, although this new one has promise Taskade - Task Manager, Video Chat, Remote Work App but no progress bars.

If only there was some easy way of importing/exporting the Bonsai data into a format readable on Android/Chromebook/cloud I could live with its antique interface!

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Trello is free