Is there a reason not to get the new Decathlon Triban bikes?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Brainaddict, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

1. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

Decathlon have dropped the terrible B'twin name, smartened up their bikes and done some relaxed road bikes for the british market. The prices are incredible.

The RC 500 is £529
    15 - Cycling - RC 500 Road Bike Blue

As far as I can tell the spec is almost the same as this Genesis CDA at £949
    CDA 20 | Genesis

Even getting last year's models for the road/gravel crossover market, you pay minimum £700 for that spec.

Decathlon also do the RC 520 that features Shimano 105 and hybrid disc brakes for £729
    15 - Cycling - RC 520 Road Bike

I don't actually want hybrid brakes and 105 just makes a bike more stealable in London, but if you're wanting those things I don't believe anyone in the world can beat those prices.

Obviously I'd like in theory to support a decent company like Genesis over a massive multinational, but at those prices it's hard. So are there any other reasons *not* to buy them?

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

They're superb value for money, and apparently ride really well.

"B'Twin" was the standard response to every newbie "what budget road bike should I buy" post on the cycling forum I post on, can't see why this rebrand will change that :)

3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I have a B'Twin and it's great. Haven't looked at the new ones yet, but if they're the same but 'smarter', I say go for it.

4. beesonthewhatnow

5. Brainaddict

I've never liked the look of B'twin bikes as I thought they looked cheap, and to be honest the genesis above is still prettier, but the new look is as good as many bikes with similar spec.

6. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Regret, transience and disillusioned fortitude..

The B’twin bikes get excellent reviews and they are built in Italy. Not the usual budget bike building countries of manufacture.
    ETA: I seriously considered buying one to use as a winter bike.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 4:27 PM
  7. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Compared to anything else in the price bracket they're superb. Good range too, unlike a lot of people they'll do a lightweight frame with straight bars instead of those curly ones designed for people who love spinal injuries and hate being able to steer.

8. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Those prices are nuts. How are we as independent bike shops meant to even try to compete? And that's why they produce them at those price points.

9. Brainaddict

Yeah, I know, was just looking at the Specialzed Diverge Sport E5. Another very similar bike to the RC 500. Retails at £1000 full price. Like I say, I don’t want to support big multinationals, but I don’t not want to do it so much that I want to spend £470 pounds. Or even £270 if I get last year’s model of the Diverge at £800.

10. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Decathalon knock it out the park in every department I've got stuff from, really good stuff at really cheap prices. An actual sports shop as opposed to 'Sports Direct'

11. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It's a crappy open mold Chinese frame from one of the usual suspects on AliExpress (Tan Tan, Velobuild, Hongfu, etc.) that probably cost less than 100 quid in the quantities BTwin buy them...

I'd rather have a CF Giant or Merida with lesser components.

12. Brainaddict

Really the only thing holding me back from buying at the moment is that I kind of want hydraulic brakes, and Decathlon have promised a gravel bike based on this frame. And given that Boardman can do a gravel bike with tiagra hydros for £1000, I'm wondering if they might go for full hydros too, but cheaper.

13. Brainaddict

If I know a bit too much about this market segment, it's because I've had five bikes stolen, so I keep having to buy new ones (insured at this point, though I wasn't when I really needed to be).

14. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Sounds like you need 2 bikes, not that bikes are expensive particularly, one for London & one for the big long ride.

I've had my shitty Trek 7210 for 15yrs, never been stolen and less likely to be as the year roll on. Been locked up all over Ldn in the darkest corners.

15. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Can I suggest spending a bit more on a better lock with the several hundred quid you save buying from Decathlon instead of a bike shop?

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. Brainaddict

Haha, he says bitterly. Let me tell you about the last three thefts, all on the same lock (bear with me - it will make sense). Theft 1. The value was all in the components because it was a Rose frame. The thief very cleverly realised it would be easier to cut the bike tube than the lock. Theft 2 (technically unsuccessful). The thief was a particular class of idiot and tried to twist an aluminium bike out of a hardened steel lock. Obviously the *lock* was fine, the bike not so much. Theft 3. The lock was cut with an angle grinder. Nothing you can do to defend against it. You'd think that was on a super quiet street or something, but it wasn't. Hence insurance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 10:09 PM
    SpookyFrank and kebabking like this.
  17. Brainaddict

I'm being stubborn. Though I do go on trips out of London, most of my riding is for commuting and other transport. I want to do it on a decent bike. In the past I was punished for my stubbornness. Now it is mostly my insurance company being punished for it :)

18. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

While you cycling types are here, if you were going to paint a bike that has been stripped back to the metal, what primer/paint/(topcoat?) would you use?

My boyfriend has an apparently very nice old bianchi frame that he is (very slowly, due to funds) doing up. So I thought I’d get him the paints, since at least they aren’t so specific.

19. DownwardDog

If the frame is worth anything at all then don't rattle can it. Despite what YouTube will tell you it is impossible to get a good finish with cans as the propellant pressure is too high and the paint droplet size is too big.

If you're going to paint it then you need to take it right back to bare metal, detack it, urethane primer from a gun, 2000 grit wet and dry sand, four colour coats with 2000 grit W&D after each, two clear coats with 2000 and 3000 W&D sessions after each. This requires a large investment in tools and consumables that only makes any sense if you're going to be painting many bike frames.

If it really is a very nice old Bianchi (like an '85 Centenario or a unicorn like a '53 Tour de France) he'd be better off selling and getting something less valuable for a project.

If it's nothing special then just get it media blasted and powder coated for less than you'd spend on paint, thinner, gun, sandpaper, etc. That will give a finish that is at the lower end of the acceptable range for not much money.

TopCat likes this.
  20. beesonthewhatnow

+1 for what DownwardDog says. You’d be better off paying for a professional job done, unless your bf is talented enough with a spray gun and has access to an appropriate workshop.

(Also. If it’s a Bianchi, the paint is specific - their Celeste colour is somewhat iconic)

spanglechick likes this.
  21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

2 not theft but criminal damage

22. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Reason No1 for not buying; no mudguards!
    FFS this is britain and I cycle in my ordinary clothes.

23. DownwardDog

Bianchi have used about 20 distinctly different shades of celeste over the years. It has gradually become less blue and more green but it's very poorly documented making getting the right shade for a restomod very difficult. Pantone 333 is supposed to be the closest to 'modern' celeste.

24. beesonthewhatnow

Kinda what I was getting at - I guess it depends on if Spangles fella is restoring a bike back to original spec or just building it up to use as a day to day ride. The former I’d assume he’ll be wanting to colour match properly, the latter less so.

25. beesonthewhatnow

The frame has mounts for mudguards :confused:

26. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

I think that Specialized pretty much ARE a big multinational
    Assuming that there is a consistency of quality up and down a model's range - I heartily recommend the Diverge. I have a 2018 Diverge and it brings a smile to my face every ride. Downside is that, as it is a good spec I can never ever leave it alone outdoors.

On your subject of your thefts. My last bike was locked to a lamppost and stolen without the (good) lock being touched whilst I was in the barbers. As it was a steel Orange P7, my assumption was that they just cut the frame, thus killing the best bit of the bike. On the plus side I had managed to hang on to it for 14 years, which has to be above average. And it was an opportunity to get the Diverge

27. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

Ok. So I could pay for it to be powder coated for a present, maybe? Where would he go for that?

28. beesonthewhatnow

I’ll put a post up on a cycling forum for you if you want, you’re in south London yeah?

29. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

On thefts, don't leave your bike parked on the street, unless it's during the day and there are people around. I had a friend who lost her bike which was locked up overnight with a Kryptonite.

30. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It doesn't have pedals either. I think you'll find that more of an inconvenience.