Is Primitivism anarchist?

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Steve Booth, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh. but brickies may be made redundant

2. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

It's likely we'll all be redundant sooner or later.

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  4. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

5. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

6. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Well-Known Member

At some point if I can be bothered I might try and unpick some of the primitivist and anti-civ stuff mentioned on here. There's a difference between the two, and primitivism doesn't always equate to wanting to back to a gatherer hunter mode of production.

Anyway, the '90s called and wants its discussion back.

Slo-mo likes this.
  7. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

LOL the 90's :D

8/10

8. You peeps are sooooooooooo out of touch ! It`s pretty big amongst the teenage euro crust punks , so heads up ;)
    Anyway I am not anarco prim, I was just defending it against the commies :rolleyes: Although I still hold to the notion that nomadic societies are anarco prim- certainly anti-civ (including the ones I live in)

Pikmans - The Penis Envy track was more about identity and ideology which I thought was relevant to a thread where people couldn't think outside of either :p Wich is your flock, who do you watch?

The work debate. I`m sure I don't need to educate anyone here on that, do I? People will be homeless and starve. I can`t see any motivation for the rich to feed the poor. The only times they do this is at sword/gunpoint.

[​IMG]

Why would things be different now?

As for this `but work is hard` notion ..... I think this could be a class thing :/ not shure

Come on FFS. Cant you dig out somone with a fucking brain ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

The Luddites weren't primitivists. Their objection was to being put out of work, they didn't have a problem with machinery that wasn't "hurtful to commonality".

10. You got my hopes up !Sorry m8e topics moved on ;)

11. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Even a derail implies something non-primitivist like a train network.

8ball likes this.
  12. Oh no ! I am being trolled by swapies !

Come on ! Even i`m rooting for you now.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  13. 8ball

8ball Up to something

What's the upper tech limit on primitivism?

NoXion likes this.
  14. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Buttons but not poppers or zips.

15. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Metal buttons?

16. Dunno, ask a primitavist :D

Personally, and I do have leanings, whatever is not hurtful to commonality/ social progress.

17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Think that led to the split after the '08 Vienna conference

Ralph Llama, mojo pixy and 8ball like this.
  18. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Fair enough. I know pretty much nothing about primitivism. :)

19. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

paeleo diet and raw water.

hunter gatherer is surely a fairly miserable life in places of scarcity, back then at least. I know something made the Golden Horde angry, perhaps it was the unrelenting tundra and reliance on horsemilk curds to replace sweeties.

20. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Sweeties give you diabetes.
    I think it's likely the rich have kept the horsemilk curds for themselves. :hmm:

21. The indigenous populations of the planet would disagree

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Think the thing with hunter gatherers is it was self regulating in a time of few humans; place of scarcity and you fucked off somewhere else. When someone else is farming and claims vast tracts of land (though some pre-agricultural societies would still have ranges and boundaries with neighbours, just not so hard and fast) then you're stuck and fucked. Even then societies in pretty tough places lived pretty well.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  23. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

I think this is true. It's a simplification but the people living hunter gatherer societies today are basically in environments where it's so tough that there isn't competition from pastoralists/agriculturalists. Think Greenland or the Kalahari, but also the rainforests in Borneo and Indonesia where the diets are closer in richness to post-scarcity societies than to their agriculturalist neighbours.

DotCommunist and crossthebreeze like this.
  24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I'm sure I read that they have evidence that agriculture was tried in Australia pre-contact with the West (conjectured it might have been introduced by Polynesians iirc) but abandoned as it was a more miserable and less materially rewarding way of life than the one everyone had been getting along with fine for 40,000 years.

25. It is a little less black and white as people currently think. A lot of interesting and essential (IMO) debate can come from questioning civilisation, the reasons it implements technology, and how they market it to us.

Mordi and 8ball like this.
  26. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

I think that kind of thing has more to do with alienation, not just of a labourer from their fruits, but in a more general sense as well. Class society means a minority living in a very different world to most people, who also get to call the shots. High tech or no tech, an alienated society is going to be at least partially dysfunctional.

Mordi and Ralph Llama like this.
  27. bimble

bimble noisy but small

No fuck off that's when I was cool for about 6 minutes.:mad:

crossthebreeze and Ralph Llama like this.
  28. Indeed. I would say class is quite inherent to civilisation. The American concept of democracy was stolen from the Indigenous and their use of consensus-based decision making. Any other form of civil rights has to be fought for time and time again.

29. MrSpikey

MrSpikey Well-Known Member

Anyone mentions velcro, I swear I'll do time

30. If you can find the time in your busy schedule, that would be nice.