Is Morrissey Funny?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Feb 4, 2009.

?

Morrissey - Funny?

1. Yes, Morrissey is funny.

42.1%
  2. No, Morrissey is not funny.

57.9%
  1. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

Such utter tosh lmao. As if there wasn't a british working class culture of affluence, dressing smart and nice.

2. dialectician

3. dialectician

Edit: the copy I have is a different interview.

That's quoted in Simon Reynolds - Bring the Noise.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  4. dialectician

found the interview. nice bit of homophobia as well.

Morrissey Interview, Melody Maker

5. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

i remember when that interview came out and it caused a stir at the time - but it never went beyond the letters page of the NME. Its was pre-social media and media coverage of pop music outside of the music press was limited to gossipy gloss in the tabloids (which barely acknowledged the likes of the smiths) and fringe articles in the broadsheets - anyone over 45 was from the pre-beatles generation and the commentariat were still generally dismissive of pop culture.

I guess this enabled people to shove it down the memory hole, dismiss it as morrissey trolling (as we'd say now) or forgive him cos he was a man with such a singular, original mind, you had to allow him to be come out with stupid gobshite nonsense. Similarly, Clapton's rabildly racist diatribe ten years earlier had not affected his career one iota and - outside lefty circles - was filed under "he was strung out and pissed - and he has said sorry" (he hadn't - not really) .

Nowadays morrissey coming out with that shit would be NEWS and would be seized on by every columnist on every paper and it would be all over social media - exactly what happened with his recent embittered, racist drivellings
    Reading that interview back now it is quite staggering in its (willful) ignorance and its toxic sense of entitlement - the imagined injustice of black people having success (at morrissey's expense!) - its straight out of the white supremacist playbook.

Grim.

dialectician and Wookey like this.
  6. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Having never payed much attention to the Smiths I never really stopped to think what Hang The DJ lyric was saying...its got lynching connotations now having read that

8. Patteran

Patteran A nowadays excuse

The DJ was Steve Wright. No lynching connotations. Morrissey's turn to expat reactionary romanticism is undeniable, but I don't think this song is part of the evidence.

smiths-hang-dj-shirt-panic-morrissey_360_c788a1df3d31f8078450ceed24382cb4.jpg

9. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Fair enough.. In that article hang the DJ comes up within the context of a black music conspiracy and too strong black pride/power sentiments in reggae...he is complaining that djs play too much black music . Steve Wright doesn't spring immediately to mind.

Kaka Tim and dialectician like this.
  10. Patteran

There are distinctions between lyrics & interviews during The Smiths era. I really don't think the band would have stood behind dodge lyrics - Johnny Marr's sound & no fool. The flirtation with nationalist imagery & ambiguous/questionable lyrics doesn't emerge till Morrissey goes solo.

There was a big crowd of us from AFA working the beer tent at Finsbury Park when Morrissey supported Madness & this tendency first materialised - he appeared wrapped in the union jack to a backdrop of 'angels with dirty faces' skinhead images. There were boneheads in the crowd, & the atmosphere was already volatile. It was genuinely bizarre - like them or not, The Smiths had a real impact, especially in teenage lives, especially in Manchester & the north. The NHS-specced flower waving vegetarian outsider, the friend to the friendless, the voice who had crooned 'it takes guts to be gentle & kind' to thousands of kids growing up in post-industrial Thatcherite bleakness was wooing the cruel. I've said it before here, I hoped he was being arch. I was wrong.

11. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I never liked Morrissey, and mostly never liked The Smiths either, although I really like a lot of Marr’s guitar work. I found Morrissey disdainful and sneery, even when he was doing all that so called inclusive stuff. He always seemed to me like the kid at school who no one liked, for good reason, who then detested and loathed everyone who disliked him, and then got his own gang started of other disenfranchised outsiders. The sneery disdain was really clear to me. I then met him once (professionally) and he was revoltingly dismissive, rude and divisive, so that confirmed my impressions. So when I saw him do that Union Jack bollocks at Finsbury Park, it kind of clicked into place for me. I wasn’t really surprised because it was in keeping with what I’d surmised about him having a huge superiority thing going on. It kinda clicked that it was almost sort of inevitable that it would get expressed as some kind of bigotry eventually. The only surprise is how cocky and dumb he’s being about it. Him being pompous and petulant about how he’s right and misunderstood about it is no surprise at all of course.

Patteran His injunction about being brave enough to be kind reads to me more like a request to those who bullied people like him to be kinder in the playground, nothing about wider society. He’s always struck me as someone who is utterly self focused, completely wrapped up in his own story and image.

Because I’ve never been a fan I don’t know his lyrics intimately; and because I never liked him (to the confusion and consternation of several friends) I tend to interpret what I do know in less flattering light than do others. For me, nothing he’s ever said seemed anything other than self serving.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  12. Patteran

Hiya. I think both those things can be correct - Morrissey is self-absorbed, & also comforting (perhaps to the similarly self-absorbed, but teenage years are rarely free of navel gazing). Anecdotally, at our school & surrounding schools in the mancunian 80s, he was important to a lot of kids who felt marginalised - plus The Smiths were the first of 'our' bands that belonged to the girls as much as the boys. That, plus the ambiguous sexuality, plus the vegetarianism, implied a wider decency - & the appearances with Red Wedge made them explicit. I don't think we were wrong about the band on aggregate. They weren't just Morrissey - Johnny Marr was always a cool cat - good shoes, great hair, a charismatic smoker who went to the football - his imperative to be kind was from a position of strength, not weakness. Mike Joyce has always been unfailingly friendly, & Andy Rourke once phoned in sick for my wife after a house party. Fuck Morrissey, sure, but I'm keeping The Smiths as A Good Thing.

S☼I and ska invita like this.
  13. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

Oh for sure, I see and understand all those things too. Bands and what they say and mean to us is always complex and multi-layered. I’ve heard so many of my mates who are Smiths fans tell me all this and more, and of course I believe them. And I’m fully with you about Marr, and I’ve heard similar stories about the others too.

I’d also keep The Smiths in the Keep pile. even though they’re not my cup of tea.*

I’m just saying that for me, all this current stuff about Morrissey is fully in keeping with my initial impressions of him.

*as an aside, I’ve always loved how “not my cup of tea” is used in the context of rock and roll.

Patteran likes this.
  14. Patteran

'Tea', 'bag' & 'jam' - the afternoon snack based vocabulary of music appreciation. 'This band's definitely my scone. Proper hobnob, this'.

ViolentPanda and SheilaNaGig like this.
  15. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

As someone who adored The Smiths this also seemed blatantly obvious so it's always puzzled me people wringing their hands about how their impossibly self involved idol (who reflected their own teenage self involvement so well) would turn out to be a less than well balanced individual with unpleasant sides to his personality.
    Still, the shit he comes out with gets more depressing by the year

Kaka Tim and SheilaNaGig like this.
  16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Marr would have busted a guitar on Morrissey's face for any BritNat crap. The Anglo-Irish had enough crap that most of them wouldn't have dreamed of passing on.
    As for Morrissey's post-Smiths output, there are some good songs, but many seem deliberately ambiguous. I know his largest audience is in the US, so maybe he's been consciously playing to a large "white identity" type audience for at least some of this time?

dialectician and rubbershoes like this.
  17. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

apparently - and perhaps surprisingly - he has a big following amongst mexican americans.

D'wards likes this.
  18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

soz do we need a link to a far-right website or might a screengrab do as well?

19. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

maybe he'll be doing a joint tour with Danny Baker :hmm:

20. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Not even slightly.

21. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

Soz, wasn't thinking. Too late to edit.

Pickman's model likes this.
  22. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

The Smiths were the soundtrack of my teenage years.
    I was devastated when Morrissey died in 1989.

23. hash tag

hash tag member

24. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

It's a shame they only ever made the one album.

smithinstrumentals.png

imposs1904 likes this.
  25. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Some much needed perspective here from Nick Cave on separating the art from the artists politics:

Nick Cave Questions Morrissey’s Politics, Defends His Music and Free Speech in Open Letter | Pitchfork

I still can’t help but wonder how much of this is deliberate provocation to keep Morrissey in the spotlight. I’d also add than in respect of the EU, monarchy, state of Britain his views are pretty much shared by the mass of working class people of his generation. The support of For Britain is seriously strange/disturbing and is profoundly sad to read

Patteran likes this.