Is Morrissey Funny?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Voley, Feb 4, 2009.

?

Morrissey - Funny?

1. Yes, Morrissey is funny.

42.1%
  2. No, Morrissey is not funny.

57.9%
  1. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

i dunno - personally i cant really enjoy the smiths anymore as it so entwined with morrisey's schtick - he was the narrator you identified with - but now the misanthropic loner observing the world with arch wit shot through with a yearning romanticism is revealed to be have been a hate filled, narcissistic bigot all along.
    Now you want him to go home alone and cry, you want the charming man in the charming car to drive over the cunt's bicycle, you want the ten ton truck to smash into him, you want to stop him because we've heard this racist shite many many time before and you'd hang him over the DJ.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  2. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

It can be very difficult to separate the artist from the art. I've been fortunate enough to know a few people over the years and inevitably, they disappoint. Sometimes on a small scale, sometimes on a Moz level. I'm sure there's a song about it somewhere about not having faith in one;s idols.

Everybody turns out shit, in the end. :(:(

3. Voley

Voley Ramoner

UK/European tour cancelled due to ' logistical circumstances'.

Morrissey postpones all UK and Europe tour dates

Twitter reckons it's due to people voting with their feet - one bloke reckons he was watching the ticket site for an Edinburgh gig and he'd only managed to sell 400 tickets. Serves him right if true.

Dave Haslam throwing an anti racist party as a counter protest to the Manchester gigs looks like it had the desired effect. :thumbs:

4. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

f
    u
    c
    k
    m
    o
    r
    r
    i
    s
    e
    y

5. chilango

chilango Neither Westminster nor Brussels....

6. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

7. Idris2002

Idris2002 The Man From G.R.A.S.S.Y. K.N.O.L.L.

You just haven't burned it (the Reichstag) yet, baby.

8. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

As I said earlier in this thread he was due to do two nights at Castlefield Bowl in Manchester, this is an outdoor venue right in the city centre capacity about 8000 - still loads of tickets available. A guy at work went to his last gig at the Manchester Arena (capacity 20,000) and said it was fucking awful - he said there were fans next to them who had been to 30ish Morrissey gigs over the years and said that was the worst they'd been to. Maybe it's a perfect storm of people realising how much of a twat he is and that he doesn't even put on a decent show. £75 a ticket too!

9. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him | Stewart Lee

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Listening to the Rule Of Three podcast and they're talking about Smash Hits interviewing Morrissey: their first question was 'what's the matter with you?' :D

Dogsauce and Plumdaff like this.
  11. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

His classic lyrics are funny, yeah. I know people who think The Smiths/Moz are just depressing. They really don't get it. I'm still very happy to listen to The Smiths/the early solo stuff.

12. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

he was racist in 1988 pouring scorn on practically all black music after 60s motown.

13. dialectician

classic indie boy attitude but my favourite group ever is Martha And the Vandellas!

Kaka Tim likes this.
  14. Sea Star

Sea Star have you ever explored your dark side?

i've resisted this 'anti-Morrissey' thing for a while but it's got to the point where I have now had to delete all his tracks from my collection, including the Smiths, because I can't stomach his racist, self-obsessed, arrogant, whinging voice any more. Still it's left more more room for my burgeoning interest in Arabic and African jazz, jazz-funk and vintage hip hop.

I didn't think he was funny, but then I had a brief period after the millenium when i did, but then he went and and became a white supremacist arse. So not funny any more, like Father Ted and IT crowd, it stinks because of the cunt what wrote it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  15. Kaka Tim

scuse my ignorance but - father ted? eh?

16. Sea Star

Sea Star have you ever explored your dark side?

Linehan is a huge bigot - or is it sometimes ok to enjoy the works of bigots?

17. eoin_k

eoin_k Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music

The relationship between Linehan's attitude towards trans people and Father Ted is unclear though. Morissey fans can no longer hold any illusions that his lyrics were ambiguous or ironic or the words of fictional characters he'd created. They'really just the public musings of a narcissistic, maudlin, nostalgic bigot.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Have you ever read and enjoyed anything by Dickens? Or seen eg the muppet Xmas Carol?

Kaka Tim likes this.
  19. Kaka Tim

And there were two writers on father ted, and the programme is as much about Dermot Morgan's performance. I don't know anything about linehans bigotry - but none if it comes out in father ted - quite the opposite.

Lupa and Pickman's model like this.
  20. Kaka Tim

too true. I recently read Oliver Twist - the anti-semitism is utterly rank - horrible and blatant - made me feel dirty.

Pickman's model likes this.
  21. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

stuff like that is a useful reminder that pre ww2 there was a streak f antisemetism running through 'public life', in art in literature. It was normal, respectable even, it was shylock and fagin. Much like aristcratic nazi sympathies, its an rank, unpleasant past that they seem to have memory holed.

Wookey likes this.
  22. dialectician

Well, those were the times of race science. hitler's ramblings were not out of the ordinary when you had the likes of heusten stewart Chamberlain and Eugine Fischer.

DotCommunist likes this.
  23. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

• Inappropriate Content
    [EDITOR: horrible content removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
    Ming and dialectician like this.
  24. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Prick.

25. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I picked up his autobiography in a charity shop after thumbing through a couple of sections that were truly hilarious. Not as in 'morrisey is quite the wit' way, it's more like parody of him . . acting the twat but still thinking he is cool. It's quite clear in the way it is written that he is telling a bullshit version of eventsi. It's quite amusing in a star stories kind of way. Penguin classic my arsenal.

Wookey likes this.
  26. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

It was only down to his own insistence that it was published by Penguin Classics

27. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

:hmm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  28. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I know. I also find that funny. . . Especially as his shit writing in no way deserves it.

29. dialectician

Thought it was Simon reynolds and was looking for the previous bit of that interview but it isn't. I'm sure someone from melody maker wrote a commentary on it though. Frank Owen?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  30. dialectician

from that same interview, hardly the voice of the worker is it?

VIVA LA ENGLISH CLASS SYSTEM!