Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Morrissey Funny?

Morrissey - Funny?

• Total voters

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
Indeed. There was a ripple of shock when Kate Bush was revealed to be a tory. Although, I don't believe she's one who'd have similar views to Morrissey.

I imagine it won't damage his long term legacy with The Smiths but it is a shame when this kind of thing happens. I shouldn't take it personally, of course, but there is a sense of being let down.
i dunno - personally i cant really enjoy the smiths anymore as it so entwined with morrisey's schtick - he was the narrator you identified with - but now the misanthropic loner observing the world with arch wit shot through with a yearning romanticism is revealed to be have been a hate filled, narcissistic bigot all along.
Now you want him to go home alone and cry, you want the charming man in the charming car to drive over the cunt's bicycle, you want the ten ton truck to smash into him, you want to stop him because we've heard this racist shite many many time before and you'd hang him over the DJ.

krtek a houby

Share knowledge, don't weaponize it
i dunno - personally i cant really enjoy the smiths anymore as it so entwined with morrisey's schtick - he was the narrator you identified with - but now the misanthropic loner observing the world with arch wit shot through with a yearning romanticism is revealed to be have been a hate filled, narcissistic bigot all along.
Now you want him to go home alone and cry, you want the charming man in the charming car to drive over the cunt's bicycle, you want the ten ton truck to smash into him, you want to stop him because we've heard this racist shite many many time before and you'd hang him over the DJ.
It can be very difficult to separate the artist from the art. I've been fortunate enough to know a few people over the years and inevitably, they disappoint. Sometimes on a small scale, sometimes on a Moz level. I'm sure there's a song about it somewhere about not having faith in one;s idols.

Everybody turns out shit, in the end. :(:(

Voley

AManWithaMulletGoingMadWithaMalletInMillets
UK/European tour cancelled due to ' logistical circumstances'.

Morrissey postpones all UK and Europe tour dates

Twitter reckons it's due to people voting with their feet - one bloke reckons he was watching the ticket site for an Edinburgh gig and he'd only managed to sell 400 tickets. Serves him right if true.

Dave Haslam throwing an anti racist party as a counter protest to the Manchester gigs looks like it had the desired effect. :thumbs:

binka

!!!!!!!!!
Twitter reckons it's due to people voting with their feet - one bloke reckons he was watching the ticket site for an Edinburgh gig and he'd only managed to sell 400 tickets. Serves him right if true.
As I said earlier in this thread he was due to do two nights at Castlefield Bowl in Manchester, this is an outdoor venue right in the city centre capacity about 8000 - still loads of tickets available. A guy at work went to his last gig at the Manchester Arena (capacity 20,000) and said it was fucking awful - he said there were fans next to them who had been to 30ish Morrissey gigs over the years and said that was the worst they'd been to. Maybe it's a perfect storm of people realising how much of a twat he is and that he doesn't even put on a decent show. £75 a ticket too!

elbows

WoeTimer
How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him | Stewart Lee

Morrissey fans have for years equated his more unpalatable pronouncements with the babblings of a beloved but out of touch relative. Some of the things Uncle Stephen says seem a bit racist, but he has seen a lot of changes in the area he lives in, he got food poisoning from a bad curry on the Bristol Road in 1978, and he says he couldn’t get on Top of the Pops in the 80s because he wasn’t black.
Until last week I had four Mexican musicians holed up in the spare room, working on a mash up of This Charming Man and a Paul Simon song, entitled Here’s to You Tommy Robinson. “Why ponder the law’s complexities, when Robinson’s done for a breach of the peace?”
This isn’t the time for ambiguity, or irony, or publicity-seeking controversy. Those days are gone, and I miss them, as I am part of a generation that profiteered from the assumption that political correctness was a done deal, and now we could have fun jumping in and out of its boundaries, like street kids round a spurting water main. But the Nazi-saluting pug bloke has just joined Ukip so his racist dog doesn’t seem remotely funny any more.

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
His classic lyrics are funny, yeah. I know people who think The Smiths/Moz are just depressing. They really don't get it. I'm still very happy to listen to The Smiths/the early solo stuff.

Sea Star

have you ever explored your dark side?
i've resisted this 'anti-Morrissey' thing for a while but it's got to the point where I have now had to delete all his tracks from my collection, including the Smiths, because I can't stomach his racist, self-obsessed, arrogant, whinging voice any more. Still it's left more more room for my burgeoning interest in Arabic and African jazz, jazz-funk and vintage hip hop.

I didn't think he was funny, but then I had a brief period after the millenium when i did, but then he went and and became a white supremacist arse. So not funny any more, like Father Ted and IT crowd, it stinks because of the cunt what wrote it.

Last edited:

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
i've resisted this 'anti-Morrissey' thing for a while but it's got to the point where I have now had to delete all his tracks from my collection, including the Smiths, because I can't stomach his racist, self-obsessed, arrogant, whinging voice any more. Still it's left more more room for my burgeoning interest in Arabic and African jazz, jazz-funk and vintage hip hop.

I didn't think he was funny, but then I had a brief period after the millenium when i did, but then he went and and became a white supremacist arse. So not funny any more, like Father Ted and IT crowd, it stinks because of the cunt what wrote it.
scuse my ignorance but - father ted? eh?

eoin_k

Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music
Linehan is a huge bigot - or is it sometimes ok to enjoy the works of bigots?
The relationship between Linehan's attitude towards trans people and Father Ted is unclear though. Morissey fans can no longer hold any illusions that his lyrics were ambiguous or ironic or the words of fictional characters he'd created. They'really just the public musings of a narcissistic, maudlin, nostalgic bigot.

Kaka Tim

Crush the Saboteurs!
The relationship between Linehan's attitude towards trans people and Father Ted is unclear though. Morissey fans can no longer hold any illusions that his lyrics were ambiguous or ironic or the words of fictional characters he'd created. They'really just the public musings of a narcissistic, maudlin, nostalgic bigot.
And there were two writers on father ted, and the programme is as much about Dermot Morgan's performance. I don't know anything about linehans bigotry - but none if it comes out in father ted - quite the opposite.

DotCommunist

slowtime
too true. I recently read Oliver Twist - the anti-semitism is utterly rank - horrible and blatant - made me feel dirty.
stuff like that is a useful reminder that pre ww2 there was a streak f antisemetism running through 'public life', in art in literature. It was normal, respectable even, it was shylock and fagin. Much like aristcratic nazi sympathies, its an rank, unpleasant past that they seem to have memory holed.

dialectician

The Main Enemy is at home.
stuff like that is a useful reminder that pre ww2 there was a streak f antisemetism running through 'public life', in art in literature. It was normal, respectable even, it was shylock and fagin. Much like aristcratic nazi sympathies, its an rank, unpleasant past that they seem to have memory holed.
Well, those were the times of race science. hitler's ramblings were not out of the ordinary when you had the likes of heusten stewart Chamberlain and Eugine Fischer.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I picked up his autobiography in a charity shop after thumbing through a couple of sections that were truly hilarious. Not as in 'morrisey is quite the wit' way, it's more like parody of him . . acting the twat but still thinking he is cool. It's quite clear in the way it is written that he is telling a bullshit version of eventsi. It's quite amusing in a star stories kind of way. Penguin classic my arsenal.

Orang Utan

knows how to use the three shells
I picked up his autobiography in a charity shop because I read a couple of sections and it was truly hilarious. Not as in 'morrisey is quite the wit' way, more like it's a parody of him acting the twat but still thinking he is cool. It's quite clear in the way it is written that he is telling a bullshit version of events, it it's quite amusing in a star stories kind of way. Penguin classic my arsenal.
It was only down to his own insistence that it was published by Penguin Classics

dialectician

The Main Enemy is at home.
from that same interview, hardly the voice of the worker is it?

What is this love/hate relationship you have with Englishness?

'There are very few aspects of Englishness I actually hate. I can see the narrowness, and love to sing about it. But I don't hate Englishness in any way. All aspects of England, whether it be underclass, or extreme affluence, I find very interesting and entertaining. And it's still, I feel, cliché as it may seem, the sanest country in the world.'
VIVA LA ENGLISH CLASS SYSTEM!