Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Morrissey Funny?

Morrissey - Funny?

• Total voters

Jeff Robinson

This is purportedly an extract from a Rolling Stone interview Morrissey did in 1986. It was posted on a Morrissey fan board in 2001. Whilst I have not seen this verified neither have I seen it exposed as false either. If it is accurate then he's been a racist piece of shit for quite a while now:

Morrissey: "Reggae, for example, is to me the most racist music in the entire world. It's an absolute total glorification of black supremacy... There is a line when defense of one's race becomes an attack on another race and, because of black history and oppression, we realise quite clearly that there has to be a very strong defence. But I think it becomes very extreme sometimes."

"But, ultimately, I don't have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest. I detest Stevie Wonder. I think Diana Ross is awful. I hate all those records in the Top 40 - Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston. I think they're vile in the extreme. In essence this music doesn't say anything whatsoever."

Interviewer: But it does, it does. What it says can't necessarily be verbalised easily. It doesn't seek to change the world like rock music by speaking grand truths about politics, sex and the human condition. It works at a much more subtle level - at the level of the body and the shared abandon of the dancefloor. It won't change the world, but it's been said it may well change the way you walk through the world.

Morrissey: "I don't think there's any time anymore to be subtle about anything, you have to get straight to the point. Obviously to get on Top Of The Pops these days, one has to be, by law, black. I think something political has occurred among Michael Hurl and his friends and there has been a hefty pushing of all these black artists and all this discofied nonsense into the Top 40. I think, as a result, that very aware younger groups that speak for now are being gagged."

Interviewer: You seem to be saying that you believe that there is some sort of black pop conspiracy being organised to keep white indie groups down.

Morrissey: "Yes, I really do."

Pickman's model

every man and every woman is a star
This is purportedly an extract from a Rolling Stone interview Morrissey did in 1986. It was posted on a Morrissey fan board in 2001. Whilst I have not seen this verified neither have I seen it exposed as false either. If it is accurate then he's been a racist piece of shit for quite a while now:
upload_2018-6-8_9-6-15.png
upload_2018-6-8_9-6-38.png
quoted in 'morrissey: scandal and passion' by david bret, pp. 77-8

Dr. Furface

One small step for man
Do you only listen to records by artists who've passed your purity test then?
It's just very sad when someone whose personality and music once seemed such a breath of fresh air has turned out to be a narcissistic hate-filled bigot/racist/nationalist - and in his case, who can't keep his fucking mouth shut about the country he chose many years ago, for whatever reasons, to not live in.

Smokeandsteam

Exiting the Vampire Castle
It's just very sad when someone whose personality and music once seemed such a breath of fresh air has turned out to be a narcissistic hate-filled bigot/racist/nationalist - and in his case, who can't keep his fucking mouth shut about the country he chose many years ago, for whatever reasons, to not live in.
I do not buy the lazy view that this is a question of racism - Morrissey is from a migrant family himself and grew up in an Irish immigrant quarter of Manchester. He’s no doubt been subject to racism himself.

His view in fact speaks to a cultural confusion. In that sense he’s representative of millions of people in the UK - who the left writes off fatally in my view. Their response to the failure of capitalism to offer hope, provide jobs, build affordable houses, the use of free movement to destroy wages and union organisatio and so on has been to retreat to a mythical past that never existed. It’s also representative of the failure of the left to outline an alternative narrative to the right on these questions.

On your last point however I think you are correct. If he wants ‘Britain First’ why has he fucked off from here? Plus given he’s not trapped in a collapsing town in the north or Midlands of England it can come over as the remote bleating of a millionaire.