Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by tim, Apr 29, 2017.

1. coley

coley Well-Known Member

You live in North London I take it? Around here eating off boards is still the norm, we haven't got around to replacing boards with plates and then evolving to eating off artesian designed boards:p:D

Raheem likes this.
  2. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Better watch out then, in the aftermath of 'popular revolutions' the 'big cheese selection' is often winnowed out by craft cheeses lurking in the shadows:p

3. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

No, I don't live in North London. But it's easy to pretend you own a cheese board if you're on the internet. And then to pretend you don't.

spanglechick likes this.
  4. coley

coley Well-Known Member

You obviously got the 'North London' reference, but what is the cost of the average cheeseboard, 3mill or 80 mil, and do we actually need to have as many cheeseboards, perhaps less boards and a better selection of cheese?

5. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

I want nothing less than pitiless terror.

6. Idris2002

Idris2002 perkins saved by moscow gold

Cheese? WTF?

7. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

8. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

They just don't realise that workers being treated like that is the future. They're trailblazers.

9. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

Trailblazing into the nineteenth century.

mather and chandlerp like this.
  10. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

12. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Interesting article, looks like they have a lot to learn. I expect the lawyers will be busy ..

13. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

amazing what you can achieve with thousands of slave labourers, guns , whips and threat of death.

14. phillm

Is slate still 'in' ? Or is it all boards now ? No doubt a brief sojourn to Pop Brixton would elucidate this thorny issue.

15. tim

tim EXPLODED TIM! (Help me!!!)

Yes, a partnership between Elon and Kim Jong-Un is surely a on the cards at some point in the future. Those rockets would would really go off with a bang.

16. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

the stock is tanking. fucking ponzi scheme.

tim likes this.
  17. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Elon musk worries me.
    He reminds me of the way I played the computer game series Civilisation

I'd spend the entire game being nice to everyone one and rushing my science.
    As soon as I got nuclear weapons, I'd blow everything up and give up on the game.

We are surely doomed.

18. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

No idea, but my guess is they've run out of roofs by now.

19. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

For a rocket scientist his maths is a little suspect:

Each will be designed to take 100 people and to launch 1,000 such ships in the space of 40 to 100 years, enabling a million people to leave Earth.

20. phillm

everythings Ponzi now - we are approaching peak Ponzi.

stockwelljonny and discokermit like this.
  21. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

1. Rush for full Communism
    2. Develop Nukes
    3. Invade everything
    4. Global Communist State - Domination Victory

Works every time :D

mather and joustmaster like this.
  22. phillm

Have David Walliams and Musk ever been seen together ? And what's Rolf Harris doing there ?

upload_2017-7-7_11-18-45.jpeg

23. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

24. phillm

25. phillm

tim likes this.
  26. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

In its current state, Mars would be settled with environmentally sealed habitats, and likewise any humans wandering outside on its surface would be suited up. This means that decontamination procedures would apply to personnel and equipment returning from the Martian environment, as well as to personnel and equipment entering it (which is what should be done until the question of native life has been settled).

This article goes into more detail. My take is that the presence of perchlorates on Mars is an additional complication, but not a show stopper. It's also kind of balanced by the fact that this means there's effectively a lot of potential rocket fuel on Mars.

27. phillm

Well that's sorted then - I'll keep winter 2036 free for a potential foray. Though I may be dead by then so that could complicate matters.

[​IMG]

28. NoXion

Relatively speaking, you understand. If there are the resources of a major state behind the effort. Personally I think Musk will run out of money before reaching Mars.

29. phillm

So at best optomistic guess in the next hundred years out of a global population of 10 billion (10000000000) lets say tops 100 could go to Mars - so that's 99.999999 % of people who won't be going. So why should we the many care about the infitesimal few ?

30. NoXion

Because the many won't get to Mars without the few reaching it first. Learn to walk before learning to run, so to speak. If it take multiple generations for large-scale settlement of Mars to happen? There are and have been multi-generational projects here on Earth.