Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by tim, Apr 29, 2017.

1. likesfish

likesfish an angry pretend soldier shooting at seagulls

Read an article about gates vs malaria.
    He's funded more research than the rest of the world has ever:eek:.
    One of the sciencetists he talked to when he first got intrested in it basically fobbed him off with a massive reading list and thought nothing more met him 6 months later.
    And gates admitted he'd only read half the list but did find the WHO his favorite which was a 1000 page report full of statistics :hmm:

2. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

Imagine if we eradicated the small class that owns everything.

muscovyduck, J Ed, emanymton and 3 others like this.
  3. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Then we could have a small cadre of super bureaucrats led by a glorious leader who would manage the world in a more enlightened way. I'd raise a statue to that.

4. seventh bullet

Cartoon Stalinism is the only possibility.

5. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Of course, didn't you realise that no other options are possible.

Maltin likes this.
  6. seventh bullet

Stolen wealth/philanthropy being shat down from the heavens. Forever.

7. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I don't get the fascination with colonising Mars, it has no magnetic field subsequently you are going to be stuck in domes or underground forever. As for the man himself whilst I have some admiration for his space program in general what with being a space geek and all, somebody that successful in the world of business usually doesn't get there without shitting on someone, somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

There was a married couple on one of the shuttle missions. Surely they would have?

9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Donkey piss and tractors

Nah, couldn't get it up, earth didn't move etc..

10. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

micro g banging would require anchorage of some kind. Every action remember

lefteri likes this.
  11. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Irony button thataway>>>>>>:p

12. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

What's ironic?

13. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

Anyone trying to build a space rocket for the first time shouldn't be surprised if it undergoes rapid unplanned disassembly during testing. That's why the testing is done in the first place. SpaceX are developing their own designs after all. And while I'm not an engineer, a powered-descent reusable rocket stage sounds ambitious but not that crazy of an idea. And it seems like they've actually pulled it off as well. Unlike shit like Hyperloop and Mars One which appear to be designs built out of thin air.

But Elon Musk. Union-busting techno-libertarian billionaire. Not quite Wernher von Braun just yet, but shows promise should Peter "the Vampire Count" Thiel and his Dark Enlightenment buddies in the grey heart of Silicon Valley ever succeed in establishing their technofeudal New (World?) Order.

14. copliker

copliker ...

Hank Scorpio without the pockets full of sugar.

emanymton likes this.
  15. Idris2002

Idris2002 Xmas eve, you know?

Or the cream.

16. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

My guess is that it would be quickly replaced by another group grabbing power.

coley likes this.
  17. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Then the 'eradicators' would rapidly move towards being the next "small class that owns everything"
    Personally I would prefer a system where the top cheese gets to earn X times the wage of those at the bottom of their organisation then anything above X is taxed to the hilt.

18. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

I am sure Musk is a criminal mastermind from the future and came here in some sort of time machine, pockets stuffed with other peoples stolen ideas - it is only a matter of time until he patents cold fusion and warp speed techonlogy.

weltweit, Yossarian and coley like this.
  19. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Speed the day, though surely that would result in a wachemcallit paradox thingy?
    :p

20. free spirit

free spirit more tea vicar?

This is clearly Elon Musk's destiny

[​IMG]

coley, YouSir and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  21. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, venuezeula is truly an example to us all
    Comrade.

22. seventh bullet

That's kind of the point.

23. seventh bullet

Or run the cheesery ourselves.

24. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

When you say "ourselves", do you include all those people you completely disagree with?

25. seventh bullet

Depends on the context of the disagreement. They might be trying to kill me.

26. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

My local library wouldn't look as pretty for starters.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  27. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Yep, that would explain a lot :)

28. coley

coley Well-Known Member

Which would probably work for a few months, then there would be moves to elect a 'board' and a chairman then they would vote themselves ever increasing powers and remuneration, we see it day in day out at every level.
    Except parish council level, where we remain largely uncorrupted:D

29. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Probably, but if you're making cheese you're going to need a board. Having it just off a plate would be barbaric.

30. coley

coley Well-Known Member

We haven't got one! demolished by our local labour 'guardians of culture'
    Demolished and replaced by a car park! A perfectly good, reasoably modern building, in the centre of Ashington, totally destroyed.
    While the construction of a new council office superstructure goes ahead with budget overruns that make Hinckley point and HS2 look modest in comparison.
    And even after the sell off of huge chunks of prime local authority owned land the Labour run CC weeps crocodile tears about being 'cash strapped'
    Used to have a subscription to PE but their regular exposes of graft in public office and the subsequent lack of action led me to cancel it in despair.
    Much more to be gained by programmes like 'benefits street' where we can direct our disgust and an anger at people we can recognise on a daily level rather than level it at the bastards who are truly the cause of the rampant inequality of life here in the U.K.
    Fuck lt, rant over.

tim likes this.