Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by tim, Apr 29, 2017.

1. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

It's a court settlement of the fraud charges. I imagine he agreed under pressure from the board / lawyers.

2. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Does that mean they have already decided he is guilty of the charges?

And does it mean he has severed his control of Tesla permanently? or until resolution of the case?

3. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

No it means they've settled the case. It specifically says he doesn't accept guilt.

He can't be a chairman for three years.

I have no idea how Tesla is structured but they've clipped his wings, definitely. He's still the CEO but I imagine the job of the new Chair of the board will be to keep him under control.

salem and weltweit like this.
  4. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Ransom'd, Stoopid & Roofless

It means he's not allowed to go and do the shareholder meetings, apparently.

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It's $40m, not 20, both he and Tesla have to pay 20. Weak stuff though, they've got off very lightly.

Poi E, Almor and NoXion like this.
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

Ihaven't seen anyone go to jail for this sort of thing since gordon gecko in the end of that film.

The Pale King likes this.
  7. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Martha Stewart, although that was a little bit more clear cut in that it was classic insider trading.

8. Combustible

Combustible Well-Known Member

Not that he will be jailed but this was just a civil action, I believe a criminal investigation is still ongoing.

9. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

His standards are slipping, since I havent heard him accuse the SEC of molesting goats yet.

Celyn, NoXion, 8ball and 1 other person like this.
  10. 8ball

8ball Can be a bit of a git sometimes

Looks like a slap on the wrists.
    Probably enough to appease a lot of investors, I expect..

11. editor

editor hiraethified

https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-says-high-speed-subway-test-tunnel-scheduled-1829903450

Argonia likes this.
  12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's a ludicrous idea, IMO. All the high costs of an underground metro, with a tenth of the capacity.

13. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

He loves putting people in restrictive tubes don't he?

crossthebreeze and The Pale King like this.
  14. NoXion

NoXion Keep an eye out for diamonds

I wonder how it compares with the maglev train I hear they have connecting Beijing (or was it Shanghai?) with its airport.

15. editor

editor hiraethified

Looks cool though. If they put neon all over the vehicles it'll be like living in a Tron-world.

salem and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  16. 8ball

And aimed at people who will pay 20 times as much.

17. Crispy

This isn't anything like that. This thing is supposed to be a hybrid car/bus public transit system where there are no "stations" just elevators that take pods directly down to the tunnels. The problem is that stopping distances etc. still apply so the number of vehicles/hour that can be squeezed through a tunnel is fundamentally limited to about 90. If that's 90 tube trains, you can move 100,000 people/hour. If it's 90 20-person pods, it's fuck all. I just don't get it. It'll either cost £500 a go, or someone at Boring hasn't done some basic capacity sums.

equationgirl likes this.
  18. NoXion

So more like Personal Rapid Transit with the added expense and complexity of a tunnel network?

19. Crispy

Exactly. Fine for a surface-routed suburban system. But pointless for an intensive metro (which he's been punting this as, for things like airports and stadiums)

20. 8ball

Hmm - yeah - just a couple of people in that car so I figured it was for the Kanye's and Beyonce's of the world.

21. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Shanghai, sadly it's just a toy as they couldn't finish it to the centre of town due to fears of magnets giving off cancer or something, so it goes from the airport to somewhere no one wants to go to, really fast.

22. NoXion

Shame. You can use paramagnetism to float frogs without harming them, I doubt a railway line would pose a health risk.

What Magnetic Fields Do to Your Brain and Body - The Crux

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  23. Crispy

NoXion likes this.
  24. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The one thing that might make me want to go to Japan for the 2020 olympics would be the chance to try that out - though from the early trials, people generally said that it was kind of boring. In fact the normal Shinkansen _is_ kind of boring as an experience, except normally you can look out of the window, which makes it less boring. (Also you can smoke on some of them.)

25. ferrelhadley

ferrelhadley These violent delights have violent ends.

Clean Tech media sites have been buzzing about Model 3 production numbers for the past couple of months.

There may be some very bitter motor industry analysts in the next 24 hours. Someone seems to have flogged a lot of that snake oil. Q3 data due early.

26. yield

yield zero

Inside Tesla’s factory, a medical clinic designed to ignore injured workers
    05/11/18
    What a shit place to work.

27. Poi E

Poi E Well-Known Member

Private health system. Here an NHS doctor could tell your work to get fucked.

yield likes this.
  28. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

Not that all emoyers listen, but at least they can do it.

29. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

He is offering his cars to help in evac of southern cali wildfires. He claims that due to the air filters in his cars they are far safer than say a damp cloth.

30. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

God, he's such a bargain basement Tony Stark

Reno, crossthebreeze, NoXion and 2 others like this.