1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by tim, Apr 29, 2017.

1. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

To be fair, we don't actually know that. At least in terms of the potential for us destroying native life, if not native intelligent life.

2. sir.clip

sir.clip Well-Known Member

he hasn't been convicted of anything yet.

3. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

It's possible that humans caused the extinction of American megafauna, so there's room for historical parallels in that respect at least.

4. Fuck 'em. Wanky space goblins.

tommers likes this.
  5. sir.clip

sir.clip Well-Known Member

Sad to think all this technology led us to this thought :facepalm:

6. gosub

gosub ~#

Wasn't the ones who crossed the Bearing Straits though...it was the Euskaldunak ice hoppers who got cut off when the ice retreated

7. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Only two out of the three landed correctly, one went AWOL.

But, as Meatloaf would say, 'two out of three ain't bad'.

PippinTook and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  8. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Its risky not going into space. Between the shitting we've done in our own nest, and the odd asteroid, we're fucked if we don't.

instape, editor and NoXion like this.
  9. Yuwipi Woman

He's certainly mixing franchises here. The car thing is a direct rip-off of the opening sequence of Heavy Metal:

Of course, Tesla, makes nothing that compares to a '58 Corvette.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  10. Yuwipi Woman

One of the biggest assets we're wasting on this planet isn't oil. It's the talent that's going to waste by consigning large swaths of people to a life of poverty.

instape, crossthebreeze, tim and 3 others like this.
  11. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

And a life of:

making clones of successful phone apps
    making social media marketing copy
    making outsourcing decisions about which outsourcer to outsource the outsourcing to
    guarding rich peoples' shit
    designing shit for guarding rich peoples' shit
    making outsourcing decisions about which outsourcer to outsource the outsourcing of designing shit for guarding rich peoples' shit to

I could go on...
    Basically, life is wasteful and stupid.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  12. Yuwipi Woman

That too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The only Space Program I am interested in at the moment is the track by A Tribe Called Quest.

14. kabbes

Let's not forget the shamefully high proportion of the nation's maths, science and engineering graduates that go into the financial services industries.

15. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

All I know - and all I want to know at this present time - is that there's a mannequin astronaut named after a David Bowie song orbiting the heavens for infinity, driving an electric sports car named after the most neglected scientific genius there's ever been, and currently heading towards Mars. Oh, and blasting out Space Oddity.

Yep, that'll do for me, thank you very much.

alfajobrob and AverageJoe like this.
  16. kabbes

In space, nobody can hear your Bowie.

17. RainbowTown

In your imagination you can.

18. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Seems a bloody expensive and long winded way to go about scrapping an old car. Bloke round my way will come and pick it up and probably give you £50 for it as well.

19. RainbowTown

A rum deal.

20. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Genius my arse.

21. RainbowTown

Quite.

22. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

Yeah, that’s probably the worst one. Doesn’t just get the STEM lot either (though the grouping into one or the other also always struck me as stupid and wasteful).

23. kabbes

Well, it is worth identifying that some people have actually spent 3 years and more painstakingly and methodically learning how to do the kind of things that could directly lead to advancements in human material wellbeing before they go off to count zeroes on computers for banks.

NoXion likes this.
  24. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

I don't mean what you said as such, I meant the grouping of knowledge two overly-distinct piles leads to wastefulness. Besides, people in both groups often do things that can lead both to human material wellbeing and more intangible benefits.

25. kabbes

Yes and no. It's not disrespectful or inaccurate to identify that if you want a medical researcher, you need somebody who has put in the time to study biomedicine. If you want a nuclear physicist, that person better understand nuclear physics! Similarly, it's no good seeking out a chemist if you actually need somebody that has spent many years studying the impacts of social policy. There is a separation of knowledge, even whilst acknowledging that all knowledge is useful and breadth of understanding across multiple spheres has an incredibly powerful multiplier effect.
    Of course, and I meant no implication otherwise. Indeed, in many cases, human wellbeing is enhanced considerably more by good social science than good physical science. But that doesn't mean there isn't a distinct set of studies that comprise STEM. And it is the STEM graduates in particular that finance hoovers up to the detriment of all the research that those graduates might otherwise have become part of.

26. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

:hmm:

I don't think you really got what I meant, but it's not an important point in the great scheme of things.
    But yeah, I'd sooner a nuclear physicist that understands nuclear physics.

Especially when I need my frappuccino in a hurry.

27. tim

tim Well-Known Member

"alleged"

28. strung out

strung out (",)

People like...
    [​IMG]

29. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Just read about Musk's plans regarding Mars..
    Huge Mars Colony Eyed by SpaceX Founder : DNews
    He said (speaking in 2012) that there might be a colony of tens of thousands my the end of the 2020s, and 'the settlement program would start with a pioneering group of fewer than 10 people, who would journey to the Red Planet aboard a huge reusable rocket powered by liquid oxygen and methane..'
    That would be some top reality tv.

mojo pixy likes this.
  30. And a post it note on the dashboard that says 'Dont Panic' :thumbs: