Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Kaka Tim, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Will we have a brexit?

1. Yes - A fully independant Britain making its own way in the world (apart from scotland).

16.7%
  2. A Semi-Detached Norway type deal

33.0%
  3. No - 2nd referendum and/or face saving fudge to let us slink back in feeling a bit fucking stupid

50.3%
  1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

2. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie Casting his shadow weaving his spell

3. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

depends what you mean by political suicide - if May, as is the general concencus of opinion, has only one real political objective, which is to leave the EU on 29th March 2019, then she has a good chance of achieving it. it would, imv, be foolish to ignore a large constituancy out there who will happily put her in the 'Great PM's' box if she achieves that almost regardless of whatever difficuluties arise as a result of a crash-out brexit.

i think that she thinks that if she could achieve brexit - deal or no deal - and get to October 2019 as PM she'll have played a blinder, getting to party conference 2020 would be miracle territory, but if she achieves brexit, deal-or-no-deal, and gets to the summer holidays before resigning as PM she'll be happy.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

that's what we all want to see, a tory party with all the electoral clout of the liberal party after lloyd george

HoratioCuthbert and Badgers like this.
  5. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

fair play, but I am still doubtful of the terms relevance here - or even in the original context. Those kind of supervisors are far less common these days. Even in the days when such Fordist production line work was prevalent (tho it was never entirely dominant), such supervisors (bet summed up in the Not So Red Flag lyrics - 'the working class can kiss my arse, I've got the foreman's job at last) weren't what we now see as 'middle class', but had generally proletarian lifestyles (and pay). They could be reasonably held to be the equivalent of the petit-bourgeoisie, ie placed and pulled between the working and ruling classes, swayed depending upon the strength of class forces at the time. But now..... there are very few of those wholly supervisory roles about, ime. Every line manager I have ever had has also had a 'main job' where surplus value is extracted from them. What does it mean when someone is 90% proletarian and 10% 'middle-class'? How great a supervisory role must they have?

For lefty organisations, the dividing line between acceptable and unacceptable roles you could take was the power of hire and fire, which seems reasonable, except, these days, many fairly senior managers don't actually have that power, as it is devolved to someone whose sole job that is.

6. Pickman's model

i think there's a lot of people who'd like to see her in a coffin whatever it said on top

Badgers likes this.
  7. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

Sure, but they don't. So it won't happen. For the Tory Party's political survival - in the short term at least - no deal would be preferred to cancelling brexit.

8. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

She is so shit, she would probably plan to end it all by putting her head in the #10 microwave without realising there is an issue with the door needing to be closed to do its job

9. Pickman's model

so it's either a no deal tory disaster or a cancelled brexit tory annihilation.

SpackleFrog likes this.
  10. Pickman's model

if there was a bigger microwave she'd climb inside and shut the door and only then realise she'd need to turn it on.

11. Wookey

Wookey Muppet is not a slur

I've been trying for several pages to do that, but I keep getting irrelevant posts like yours to respond to. What to do.

12. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Hoc vellum voluntater album mansum est

I do discuss that in the post I linked to. But my point wasn’t to say there isn’t an identity aspect to middle classness; but rather to point out that, in my view, there is a economically structural function for the term, in a Marxian analysis of society. You seemed to be saying there wasn’t. It’s a widely held position - Eugene Kamenka, for example, would agree with you here rather than me. I just thought it was more interesting than another couple of pages of people guessing what next on Brexit.

13. Pickman's model

especially as there have been no novel notions of where it might go

Badgers and danny la rouge like this.
  14. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

why do you assume that no deal would entail a tory disaster?

there would certainly be difficulties, both in PR terms and in economics/redundancies, but the more difficult they are the less likely that a tory government would lose a VONC in parliament precisely because those difficulties would make a Labour government more likely. give it three years till 2022 and a) it gives things a chance to settle down - there will probably be massive queues at Dover in 2019, but much less likely by 2021/2, and if/when the economy takes a no-deal hit it may recover by election time, and b) it will allow the tories and their friendly media a good few years to really work on the the idea that Labours stance has solely been about trying to cancel brexit, without saying so.

MickiQ likes this.
  15. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

upload_2019-1-11_16-33-23.png

Badgers likes this.
  16. Pickman's model

What I like about you is your irrepressible optimism

By the time you're saying the UK economy will be on the mend everywhere else's will have tanked. And the latest figures from Germany are hardly encouraging, manufacturing output down...

SpackleFrog and Badgers like this.
  17. brogdale

Apols for source; hence screen-shot.

Fucking clowns.

upload_2019-1-11_17-7-53.png

18. brogdale

Canvassing door to door in April/May for the 2019 Euro elections would probably be quite an experience for any Tory candidates deciding to stand.

Cakes, grit, Celyn and 10 others like this.
  19. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Do they even do that?

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. Sprocket.

Sprocket. No matter where; of comfort no man speak..

Do we get to vote on that?

21. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

A true People's Vote. :thumbs:

22. brogdale

Any constituency party worth its salt should be out delivering leaflets and using the opportunity to do voter ID as well, so...yes. Though obviously the EU constituencies are so large that the chance of actually seeing any candidate at your door would be low to zero.

23. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Osborne’s Evening Standard leading on likely delay to Brexit. Some serious warming up being done.

24. not-bono-ever

Don’t they have more pressing things to sort out ?

25. Pickman's model

They do indeed. Leading tories have approached me asking about block names in the sir john redwood memorial barracks in grytviken, seeking to attach their enemies' names to them

26. brogdale

You'd think, but political power, innit?
    That'll draw 'em further than gunpowder will blow 'em...

27. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Indeed. Quite a lot of MPs are calling for this now who should have done years ago. To my knowledge, Nichola Sturgeon was the first big noise but even that was only circa November

28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

She'll not last another month if we leave with no deal. And her deal is clearly fucked.

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  29. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

How will she be removed?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  30. not-bono-ever

I pity the infirm who have to spend any time in the Jeremy Hunt memorial clinic and mortuary- though they may be momentarily cheered by the fact that it is funded entirely by efficiency savings made elsewhere in the camp