Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Kaka Tim, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Will we have a brexit?

1. Yes - A fully independant Britain making its own way in the world (apart from scotland).

18.4%
  2. A Semi-Detached Norway type deal

33.5%
  3. No - 2nd referendum and/or face saving fudge to let us slink back in feeling a bit fucking stupid

48.1%
  1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

il aurait mieux valu que boris johnson soit étranglé à la naissance
    (i don't think google's got it quite right but the meaning should be clear)

agricola likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

agricola
    i don't think google translate's fully trustworthy...

upload_2018-5-15_14-22-35.png

mojo pixy, sealion and agricola like this.
  3. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Certainly not - if you keep translating it between the two languages you end up with "for better race" via "class is better".

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

More than happy to do that :D

teuchter likes this.
  5. philosophical

philosophical Well-Known Member

This democracy lark is becoming complicated. The Scottish parliament has for the first time rejected a piece of Westminster legislation in the EU Withdrawal Bill.
    One irony that can be expected is that the Bill will be imposed on Scotland anyway, by the same brexiteers that decry the (false) notion that the EU imposes stuff on the UK.
    So we have a fair few 'will of the people' issues swirling about fighting for precedence. The will of the Scottish people expressed by their parliament is wiped out by the so called will of the UK population in voting for brexit.
    It might be worth asking why there are regional powers anyway, except it has been recognised by the UK generally that certain regions ought to have a degree of autonomy, but it turns out that autonomy can be sidelined.
    As a population Scotland voted against brexit, as a regional democratically elected parliament Hollyrood votes against the EU withdrawal bill.
    What will the right wing media make of that, the Lords being the enemy of the people, and Scotland being the enemy of, well the English I suppose.
    Is anybody tasked with drawing the country together post brexit? I don't envy them their job.

6. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

"We're all in this together"

7. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

They also voted to remain part of the UK, so they have to accept the UK wide vote for brexit.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  8. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Which translates as Boris & Mogg will throw us in the dodgy life raft and then stand on our heads to ensure they drown last. The cunts.

MickiQ likes this.
  9. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Looks like everyone who voted for Brexit is anti-Scots, as well as anti-Irish and racist

NoXion likes this.
  10. cupid_stunt

If you're attempting to have a go at me, you fail on so many levels.

11. philosophical

Interesting that you (and I suppose others) use the word 'they' in the second part of your reply in this context, rather than the word 'we'.
    The Scottish independence referendum was indeed one where the Scottish population voted to be part of the UK, and as I said earlier, on one level the question arises about the point of regional assemblies, parliaments or whatever, if ultimately the regional differences of political opinion will always be trumped by Westminster.
    In this thread above there is reference to 'the national interest', but we inhabit a nation which does not completely want to be homogenous with itself, and to me begs the question as to what is 'the nation' anyway. Is it that regional cultural differences are acceptable and can be recognised and celebrated, but when it comes to the UK as a nation political differences are not always that acceptable?
    When I read the term above 'the national interest' I don't think it is an easy definition to define what the UK as a nation actually is. In what is supposed to be a unified nation there is a lot of us and them going on.

12. philosophical

I think the dig was aimed at me.

13. Hollis

Hollis bloody furious

Open door - to argue for a remain, soft Brexit position
    Other constituencies - well for starters just about everyone who doesn't fit into either your 'pro-EU middle-class liberal left' or 'pro-leave working class' - which in my book leaves a lot to play for..

14. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

15. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

16. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

NoXion likes this.
  17. Pickman's model

020 7930 4433

cupid_stunt and Slo-mo like this.
  18. DexterTCN

I was being sarcastic.

More than 500 have already gone, as well as hundreds of thousands of workers, it appears. We won't see the damage for a while but it's already happening.

19. Pickman's model

presumably these hundreds of thousands of workers who have gone will be replaced by the incoming migrants.

Badgers likes this.
  20. cupid_stunt

And, yet employment is at record levels, with some impressive increases, considering uncertainty.

UK record employment increases likelihood of interest rate hike

21. DexterTCN

22. cupid_stunt

On average, yes.

Although my team got a 5% increase last month.

Slo-mo likes this.
  23. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

National minimum wage went up 4.4% in April.

Whilst it's still way too low, the % increases under the Tories haven't been as bad as they might have been.

24. cupid_stunt

That's why I pushed myself to give them a 5% increase, I want to keep them on well above the 'living wage', they are a cracking team, who have been with me for years, I don't want to see them drift off. Despite them engaged in what could be considered 'minimum wage work', the living wage went up to £7.38 ph, my team went up to £10.50 ph, and I am hoping to increase that to £11.00 ph next year.

Partly paid by increased rates to new clients, partly by increasing volume of business.

Slo-mo likes this.
  25. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Good for you.

If only the world was full of Cupid Stunts :)

cupid_stunt likes this.
  26. DexterTCN

That would take them to £21,200 per annum. The national average is £27k.

27. Pickman's model

median. not mean, not mode.

i'd expect modal pay to be significantly below £27k

Badgers and cupid_stunt like this.
  28. cupid_stunt

And, your point is? :hmm:

29. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

The national average is massively loaded by people in London, by high end professionals etc etc.
    Cupid Stunt is paying a very fair rate for anywhere outside the M25.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  30. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

This illustrates the problem with economics. This was exactly the same claim the Terese May (after before her Cameron/Osborne/etc) made today about why everything is a-ok. It's the argument that successive governments have used to excuse their attacks on the welfare state and increasing inequality and/or poverty. You're playing on their terms.