Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Kaka Tim, Jun 27, 2016.

?

Will we have a brexit?

1. Yes - A fully independant Britain making its own way in the world (apart from scotland).

18.1%
  2. A Semi-Detached Norway type deal

33.0%
  3. No - 2nd referendum and/or face saving fudge to let us slink back in feeling a bit fucking stupid

48.8%
  1. philosophical

philosophical Well-Known Member

I am not defending the Politicians. I am looking at where the UK has landed, and it is without a plan from either the politicians, the civil servants of the brexiters. Brexiters are already blaming the EU for messing up and not having a plan, to blame the civil servants too is another layer. I suspect it is because it is dawning on brexiters that this disaster does not have a solution.
    Remainers can't intervene as they will be accused of sabotaging brexit, so where does that leave us, time is running out?

2. philosophical

Because I am not going down the path you want me to go and justifying aspects of EU policy that you select?
    How many times does it need to be said? Brexit won. The merits or otherwise of the EU don't matter any more, and I don't have to either condemn or justify EU policy.

3. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

This was mentioned on radio 4 yesterday. Saying the eu would be happy for a no deal, the fall of the government and labour in power in the hope that brexit would be scrapped.

4. philosophical

Would a no deal brexit lead to a government collapse under the terms of the parliament act?
    My understanding is that there could be a no deal scenario, but this government could still continue until 2022.

5. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I think you’re right.

6. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Logical consistency by your own terms, you do. If remain won, according to your framing, you should answer for the EU imposed Greek situation .

Philosophy 101

NoXion and sealion like this.
  7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Civil servants were banned by Cameron from working up any Leave plans in case it looked defensive.

8. philosophical

I think you are wrong about the logic simply because remain didn't win. According to my framing it is over to the brexiters now.

9. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Is this Silas again?

10. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Graphs, quotes from those involved in the negotiations, crime statistics, demographic breakdowns of voters, a direct quote from Tusk saying nothing happens until Ireland is sorted out, questions on trade, answers on productivity, currency valuation...stuff like that.

You?

11. sealion

Trolling apparantly

12. xenon

Sad.

13. xenon

Union activist, with nothing to say apart from brexitrs are racist. Glad you’re retired TBH.

14. xenon

Rissable really. Arrogantly ignorantly ploughing on. Sad.

15. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

I know, I posted the link.

16. philosophical

Hang on a little longer and you can be glad I'm dead.

17. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Interesting that the EU are so desperate for the UK to stay. Of course a Labour victory is impossible on a scrap Brexit ticket.

mather and sealion like this.
  18. sealion

The defecit in the eu budget would take a big hit if we did leave. I guess that would mean them having to lean on the remaining members to plug that gap. I can't see that going down well with there members.

NoXion and mather like this.
  19. xenon

Don’t be daft. U75 isn’t exactly a hotbed of racists. Maybe read a bit more and accuse a bit less.

NoXion likes this.
  20. sealion

Do you think that's what JC wants ?

21. philosophical

On accusation, maybe you should follow your own advice.
    You are saying you are glad I'm retired, which indicates that you see retirement means that a person no longer contributes to society, is parked out of the way as it were. What exactly do you mean by that? Older people ought to be stored in structured kralls until they are no longer a drain on your society?
    I have no idea about your work, or if you are in work or not, or your gender or anything. However if I did I would not use your personal circumstances to put you down. I regret disclosing things about myself on this thread, including having been active in my trade union, because what I have disclosed has been thrown back at me as you have done above.
    Next time you feel inclined to lecture me about correct behaviour, tape it and play it to yourself occasionally.

22. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't. Corbyn would want the election to be about his platform, not about Brexit. OTOH, Brexit isn't going to be very helpful to him in delivering his platform, in that he needs reliable tax revenues and could do without an increase in the cost of government borrowing. So, what he ideally wants is for Brexit to sink before he ends up obliged to sail it.

William of Walworth and sealion like this.
  23. xenon

You offered your Circumstances as a background or a buttress to your political position. How dare us comment on it. Jesus fucking Christ. Of course I don’t think retired people should be locked away or whatever bat shit you’ve imagined. Let’s not forget, you rocked up Calling everyone who voted Brexit racist. You retracted the question mark later, explicitly saying you think they are racist, remember. And yet you are the sensitive hurt one.

Yes I do work, I didn’t vote Brexit, I spoiled my ballot, other shit. Shoot away.

NoXion likes this.
  24. philosophical

I unwisely responded to several questions about my personal circumstances, including revealing I am retired. Those unwise words have not attracted what you quaintly call 'comment', but strff such as you saying you're glad I am retired. Meaning what? That counts as comment does it?
    I have never said I am hurt, but aware of what is happening around me, especially hypocrisy.

25. xenon

I meant glad you’re retired, as a union rep. Some of your members may have voted Brexit but you would dismiss them as racist. No analysis, no questioning, just knee-jerk tabloid rubbish. I don’t know what union you were, are in. It doesn’t matter. But look at what some unions are saying about the EU.

26. xenon

I am on my phone, so forgive the lack of a link. But look at all those racist unions.

27. philosophical

'As a union rep' is it now?
    Not just plain retired as you wrote earlier.
    Hypocrisy.
    I am not responsible for other unions, and I did my extensive union work unpaid and in my own time.
    My retirement was from paid employment, and I continue to pay my union dues (at a now lower rate).
    You are a hypocrite to try to dilute what you said, I wouldn't even know why, stand by it, it was a revealing comment, own it.

28. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

No:
    That clearly implies xenon is glad you are retired from being a union activist. It’s the only interpretation that is coherent in the structure of the post as a whole. Why would he suddenly ma,e the non-sequitur to talking about employment generally, and doubly so why would he do so immediately after placing it within the context of talking about the tension between being a union activist on one hand and having hate and contempt’s for union members on the other? Not to mention that the fact that he then subsequently reiterated that this indeed is what he meant removes any possible doubt.

Almor and NoXion like this.
  29. philosophical

Subsequently reiterated?
    Not in the 'subsequent' posts 6379 or 6383.
    Either way retired from Trade Union activity or work in general the implication isn't easy to misunderstand.
    I really don't feel worried about his or her personal digs by the way, or the implied dig about old people generally, I simply point out the hypocrisy to any of those oh so pure souls here who want to lecture about proper behaviour.
    He or she said it, they ought to stand by it.

The general strategy here is not difficult to follow, dig out a poster, they defend themselves and therefore are accused of attention seeking and it all being 'look at me' or being a troll. It is bollocks. A poster earlier put me on ignore, wouldn't that be a better policy, a personal bit of what people these days call 'no platforming'?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  30. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Jesus fucking Christ.