Question Is 5g Safe?

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Maggot, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

I am hearing that many people are worried about 5g technology and possible health risks.
    I haven't seen anything conclusive from either side and am keeping an open mind about it.

2. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Woo woo bollocks

3. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I wouldn't worry about it - staying alive will give you cancer - going outside is probably more dangerous than a 5G signal

Ionizing radiation, which includes ultraviolet rays, X-rays and gamma rays, are the harmful forms. The energy from ionizing radiation can pull apart atoms, and it's known to break the chemical bonds in DNA, which can damage cells and cause cancer. This is why the FDA warns against having unnecessary X-rays. It's also why exposure to the sun can cause skin cancer.

[​IMG]
    The electromagnetic spectrum is broken up into two categories: ionizing and non-ionizing. The high-frequency millimeter wavelengths that are expected to be used for some 5G deployments are in the non-ionizing category.

CNET

Attached Files:

4. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

I wouldn't snort it in one go.

Gaia, WouldBe, yield and 14 others like this.
  5. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

6. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

5g of what

pogofish, WouldBe, Lupa and 7 others like this.
  7. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

No. Just ask neonwilderness, who has been mutated by 5G lampposts. :( :hmm:

marty21, neonwilderness and Badgers like this.
  8. Maggot

Has anyone got any reputable links about 5G safety?

9. existentialist

existentialist Girly swot

Put it this way - no-one has yet produced anything remotely scientifically valid to say that it isn't safe, and there has been a LOT produced on the subject :hmm:.

It's the old problem - you can't prove a negative. But if you look at the RF technologies involved, there is nothing that hasn't already been being used in some way or another for a very long time, so it is highly unlikely that some feature of the setup should suddenly hugely increase the risks it presents.

There are pages out there debunking a lot of the myths...but I've lost the few links I had. If they reappear, I'll post them.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

I think the question should be: Has anyone got any reputable links about the danger of 5G?

Lupa, BassJunkie, Dom Traynor and 2 others like this.
  11. farmerbarleymow

I wonder how much data could be transmitted using gamma rays, compared to 5G? I don't know if the data rate increases steadily from left to right but presumably it must as the wavelength decreases.

Obviously it couldn't be used for phones due to irradiating people.

12. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Fire messages at people that get branded on their foreheads from a significant distance. A whole new party game

Dom Traynor and farmerbarleymow like this.
  13. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Gamma-transmitted messages tend to be short to the point of implication, like 'oh no my reactor has exploded', or, 'hey you, you're fucked'.

yield, fishfinger and ricbake like this.
  14. mauvais

To try and answer the question, what do you mean by 'data rate'?

The speed of transmission is inevitably the speed of light.

A wave representing digital data - one bit per Hz - would carry more data in a period of time with a shorter wavelength. But we're not confined to one bit per Hz. Still, it's proportional.

However we don't just care about that. 'Data rate' might mean bandwidth. You get a shitload more channels/bands from a typical 5G allocation than you do from FM radio.

Then there's stuff like penetration. A 5GHz signal that can't penetrate through a wall that a 2.4GHz one can means, well, no data. Same story with interference etc.

TL;DR: it's complicated.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. 2hats

2hats

UK 5G bands are immediately adjacent to wifi, broadcast TV and existing mobile phone bands. The Sun is also pretty indiscriminate pumping out both non-ionising and ionising radiation at almost all frequencies. You've been bathed in this stuff for years. Now consider the soup of pollution you've been drinking in from transport every day courtesy of the internal combustion engine...

16. mauvais

Not if you're from Liverpool.

17. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

Apparently there won’t be anything left for it to destroy post brexit anyway. And then we get the climate apocalypse after that anyway.

18. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

No, its all just woo bollocks.

19. ruffneck23

ruffneck23 Well-Known Member

from my understanding 5 g is just modulated on top of the 4 g signal ,so if that is the case its just as safe as 4 g

but i'm no expert

20. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Bulla liberali in perpetuum.

The dose is in the poison.
    Stick yer head in a microwave oven and you will cook from the inside out.
    Neither you or any progeny will turn green and defy the laws of physics.
    Do it with a billionth of the power and you will need NPL laboratory conditions to measure any heating effect.

21. Maggot

See post #2.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

You're safe so long as you sleep on an earthed bed sheet (see other thread).

23. farmerbarleymow

Your head will eventually turn green after it rots once it has been cooked in the microwave.

gentlegreen likes this.
  24. souljacker

souljacker innit

If you can get your head in the microwave and shut the door, I've got some bad news for you. You are already dead.

BristolEcho and gentlegreen like this.
  25. farmerbarleymow

No, you just need to trip the safety latch. You should try it and report back. :thumbs:

gentlegreen likes this.
  26. 2hats

2hats

You'll know you've done it right when the lenses in your eyes pop.

27. existentialist

:hmm::facepalm::runsawayscreaming:

28. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

the issue of concern around 5G is in relation to data, not daft woo bollocks

29. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty IdProle

4g is fast enough for me and I have no desire to have ‘smart’ shit going on in my home. No doubt we’ll all eventually be eased into it regardless.

30. existentialist

Is it? Tell me more.

Because all I've seen in regard to "issues around 5G" has been daft woo bollocks.

keybored likes this.