Iran throw basketball game to not play Israel?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by isitme, Sep 13, 2008.

1. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

They were just saying on the news that Iran threw their basketball semi final cos they didn't want to play Israel in the final

2. Sweaty Betty

Sweaty Betty Hemo rising!

probably wise....:D

3. coccinelle

coccinelle Well-Known Member

They were due to play the US, I understand. And only if they had won that round, they might have met the Israeli team. It's just the Israeli press that seems to be spinning it into antisemitism. Probably more they didn't want to play the US.

4. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

the BBC said it on the news

5. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Iranian athletes are lionised if they refuse to play Israeli competitors, even if it means having to scratch from tournaments.

6. coccinelle

As it turns out, Canada beat Israel.

Canada and Israel were due to play at 9am with the US/Iran match to follow at 11 am. Iran TV had scheduled to air the match live. But the order of the games was switched at the last moment for no apparent reason and Iran objected. So they pulled out.

7. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

Jews 1 Arabs 0

8. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Well it must be true then !!

:hmm:

9. coccinelle

I'm not being pedantic (I am really) but Iranians aren't Arabs, they're Persians. It's something they're very insistent on.

10. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

well they really did throw the game

BBC did speculate that it was a political decision but I don't think that is really in question

11. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I might be more inclined to accept the BBC theory if they were actually due to be playing Israel, rather than a team they're play before Israel (if they win) and if Israel beat the them they're playing.

12. isitme

isitme Banned Banned

The BBC story was that they deliberately lost the game, from the footage they were delibaretely losing the game

13. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Half Man Half HobNob

Footage? I thought they just didn't turn up?