1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone X

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Gromit, Sep 13, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If only had a 'trusted locations' facility, eh?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thing is, if Apple can't get it to work at their own extra-polished, extra rehearsed launch, then it doesn't hold out much hope for a big success rate for normal folks.

alex_ and EastEnder like this.
  3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

It's a useful feature.

Don't think I'd enable it even if it was available, I've been burgled in the past, and I certainly wouldn't enable it at work.

Same happens with touchID, and when you restart, you always have to use the code to unlock, think this was someone else's cockup to be fair, but clearly it's going to get attention.

Where's Kid Eternity when you need him to take some flack! :D

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

He's finally realised the error of his ways and is now a fully paid up Android fanboy, so he's laying low, I reckon :hmm:

Fez909 likes this.
  5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Apple pay now works perfectly - lift phone out of pocket, while you do so double click, tap terminal. Done. It's great.

Adding another step into that process by having to lift the phone to your face is just daft.

Dr. Furface and editor like this.
  6. beesonthewhatnow

A failure of show prep, not the phone. It was doing exactly what the OS is coded to do.

7. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

He's like a cult member who emerges blinking & confused from decades of incarceration in the leader's compound, barely able to form coherent sentences, physically wrecked from a diet of gruel, but seeing the sunshine through reborn eyes, like a babe in arms once more, eager to finally embrace freedom again but timorous, scared & apprehensive...

8. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel Active Member

It's only because they had production problems with the fingerprint sensor without a home button, so decided to use facial recognition at the last minute.

9. beesonthewhatnow

This sounds like utter nonsense tbh.

You don't fit all that facial recognition hardware "at the last minute".

paolo likes this.
  10. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel Active Member

It may sound like utter nonsense to you but it is what is being reported:

iPhone 8 reportedly won’t come with Touch ID

11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it's games which "know" about The iphone x's special res

12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

No, it's actually the opposite. Games (and films) don't know. So if you need access to the bit that's being 'covered' by the strip, then you have to double-tap the screen, and the whole thing zooms out...giving you bezels on every side :facepalm:

13. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

dont people ever get totally bored of demonising companies they dont like for petty as fuck reasons?

like you could just not buy one and stfu caring about what other people choose to buy.

the pay must be good. cant see why else anyone would bother.

it's boringer than my shitty burns. get a train set.

what did apple do? kill yer first born? funny shit.

all the 'MY PHONE IS SUPERIOR PRODUCT' is childish.

the level of cares and feels about a phone seems well unhealthy. actually pity you.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    paolo, devit, cybershot and 2 others like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Or why don't you just quit whining and trying to misrepresent the discussion here? If the topic holds no interest for you, jog on.

pengaleng likes this.
  15. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

This country needs to demonise companies more. We let them get away with too much bullshit.

The one upmanship of phone ownership is wanky. I'll grant you that.

I like Apple products but even I think that they've lost their way a bit. Turning into any other company rather than being innovative. The fact they are still trading on their innovative reputation without actually delivering anything truly innovative is currently grating.

editor likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not sure anyone here is even trying to claim that their phones are the best - the discussion seems more to be about the usefulness of various features. What does grate is the way that Apple smugly claim to delivering all this whooped-along innovation when most of it's not even remotely new.

Apart from that ridiculous gurning at the phone emoji feature. They've definitely invented that. And, frankly, they're welcome to it.

Gromit likes this.
  17. Gromit

I don't understand half the emoji that exist now. At least they have universally agreed meanings.
    If I received some gurning pig emoji my very next text would be wtf is that supposed to mean?!

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I could see the appeal of pulling amusing faces at a phone to get an emoji for children, but given this phone comes with a very adult price tag, it just seems a bit embarrassing to be touted as a major new feature. I can't imagine many grown-ups sitting in a cafe pulling stupid faces just to get an emoji on screen.

19. Gromit

We could both be wrong mind.

An ap that puts a dog nose on your face or a garland of flowers on your head is frigging ridiculous. Or is it? Says the inventor laughing all the way to the bank.

20. beesonthewhatnow

Except this is a perfect example of what Apple do, and do so well. They take existing stuff that's a bit clunky and make it much better.

There were MP3 players before the iPod, but they were shit.

There were smartphones before the iPhone, but they were shit.

There were phones with fingerprint readers before the 5s, but they were shit.

Etc etc

I have no doubt that the face tracking and AR bits in this phone will be way ahead of anything else and work brilliantly.

And the first wave of all the stuff they do is always insanely expensive.

Talking about the emoji misses the point, it's just a fun (for idiots) way of showcasing the tech behind it. Smart developers will find ways to use it that no other phone currently can. And that's where the "inovation" is.

pengaleng likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Love the spin, but Samsung have overtaken Apple in design and led smartphone technology for some time now. After all, it was Samsung who invented the 'phablet' format which Apple went on to slavishly copy after deriding it.

It's been a long time since iPhones had the best displays and I'm not sure how you think depriving users of the option of adding microSD card memory is a good thing, nor is removing the universal headphone socket. And much as Apple does some things very well, Android does some other things better. The gulf in usability and function you're referring to is past history.

Which bits of AR will be "way ahead of anything else" and why should anyone care?

The iPhone X is basically Samsung's Note 8 plus Animojis | ZDNet

22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Posting purely because we've talked about specs, and if phones still perform well in 3/4 years. I haven't fact checked this, just seen it in my twitter feed. If true, it's pretty shocking that a smartphone can outperform a macbook!

Oh, and that news about them charging to 50% extra quick, well, that's gonna cost you extra:

Apple's new iPhones can fast-charge, if you have the right adapter

For anyone that actually wants to read up on the face stuff:
    Apple's New Face ID Biometric System Works in the Dark and When Your Face is Obscured by Hats and Beards

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  23. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

No way I would pay over a grand for a phone.

editor and Tankus like this.
  24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

This is a version 1 apple product.

25. Tankus

Tankus random farter

I use magnetic mini jack's
    [​IMG]
    Just leave the connector stud in the socket...and it just snaps together

My Nexus 2013 will now only charge wirelessly as the socket is fucked....so all my non wireless stuff... portable chargers ,speakers etc..now have these...stops socket wear and tear....

26. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

27. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

It's a nice feature, although I still don't trust it at home for various reasons and a fingerprint unlock is so fast anyway.

I do find it dead handy in the car though as with the phone in the holder, fingerprint isn't as quick as it needs to be and as it's working from the car stereo Bluetooth, only works when the car is on.

28. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' pengaleng PhD. another handsome boy graduate.

:D:D:D:D:D jog on :D:D:D

how the fuck can one 'misrepresent' something so blatant and real and happens on every apple thread exactly?

jokes m8. think yer projecting with the whining thing.

29. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

The car is a good example of how face recognition is going to suck if you don't have the handset in front of you (as most don't, it usually sits in the middle of the dash) and you then have to keep having to pull it towards your face to unlock it, or punch in a 4-digit code while driving. It's going to mean more obfuscation for drivers which clearly isn't safe.

It's becoming obvious to me that they failed to get the fingerprint scanning tech under the screen sorted, so they resorted to a face saving next best solution because they couldn't be seen to not make some 'game changing' move with the anniversary phone. There was so much hype about removing the home button like it was a massive thing everyone was crying out for, but the reality is, though it would've been very cool to have fingerprint scanning under the screen, it wasn't possible.

So instead, we have a worse experience being spun as some landmark improvement on the basis that it's added a whole 1cm extra screen. Load of bollocks.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    UnderAnOpenSky and editor like this.
  30. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

That black bar with the senors that impinges on the screen at the side is most annoying. I suppose it'll become a common sight on most phones as the obsession with filling as much surface area with screen as possible takes over, so it's not specifically an iPhone issue. But it really jars with my sense of order - like the bar at bottom of some smart watches that has a similarly mildly infuriating presence. I guess one would acclimatise eventually, but every time I see it, it screams wrongness to me. It's like when someone takes a photo with their thumb partially obscuring the lens. Or having a lush 80" widescreen uber telly with a pot plant in the way blocking one corner. It's just so wrong.

paolo, Tankus, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.