iPad Music Apps. Stick 'em in here.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by audiotech, Feb 6, 2012.

1. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I'm just trying to decide if I should get a new ipad air or a mini. Will a mini be good enough for music apps? I know it can handle it processing wise but will the smaller screen give me problems with accuracy when turning those lovely little virtual knobs? Also, I can't afford anything more than a 16gb of either. If I start putting on loads of music apps, will that get used up too quickly?

Or should I just ditch the whole idea and get a nexus 7 :D

2. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I wouldn't get the original iPad mini since it lacks grunt, and increasingly the fun & power of music apps on the iPad involves running several apps at once (e.g. synth, effects, recording). The new iPad mini sounds like it is going to suffer supply constraints for a while, and I haven't yet seen benchmarks that tell us whether the cpu is running at the same speed as the iPad air.

As for the screen size, I believe it will be an issue for quite a lot of music apps. Still useable, but only just with some apps. Issue somewhat mitigated if you plan to use a midi controller with knobs etc, but still likely to cause frustration at times.

Regarding storage space, I have managed to load a 16GB iPad 3 with a vast quantity of music apps. A lot of them don't take up much space, since they use synthesis rather than samples and loops. Thats not to say its not an issue at all, and in future I will try to go for 32GB minimum to give me some wiggle room.

Having said all that, an original iPad mini with 16GB would still be preferable for music than an android tablet. There are only a tiny handful of android music apps that are any good, and although there are bound to be a few more in the coming year, its not possible to claim with any certainty that android will catch up with the breadth and depth of music offerings on iOS, at least not during the lifecycle of any tablet purchased now.

souljacker likes this.
  3. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I was only joking with the nexus comment. I want a tablet for other things as well, which the nexus does fine, but music apps are a bit of a joke Android wise.

I think I'll start saving for the 16gb Air though.

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Since I made reference to the possibility earlier, I should probably mention that a benchmark is now out which suggests the new retina iPad mini cpu is indeed clocked slightly slower then the ipad air. 1.3Ghz rather than 1.4Ghz. This results in a geekbench score of 1390 single-core and 2512 multi-core, as opposed to 1466/2866 for the iPad air. So not a huge difference. The original iPad mini scored 261/493, demonstrating how much of a leap the retina mini is compared to the original, which isn't surprising considering the original mini is mostly a shrunken iPad 2.

5. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

We'll I took the plunge after my laptops cooling fan decided to explode and bought an iPad, I actually tell a lie, I first bought an Asus 10" tablet and it was awful, I went for the premise that all I wanted was net access and Netflix of when I was working away from home, we'll I checked some Android music apps and they were awful, on top of the terrible wifi range of the Asus and the typing lag, mysterious cursor placement and a woe of other shite, I paid the extra and now am the satisfied owner of an iPad 4 retina, first app I bought was ims20 and I am convinced it was the right decision, next will be Cubasis so I can tie in with my PC running cubase7.

IMS20 has blown me away as well, what an awesome app for 20 notes.

6. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Has Alchemy Synth for iOS not been mentioned yet? It's currently free! You can, however, pay to add more soundbanks or upgrade to the pro version which can be used as an external controller for the desktop version should you own it.

snadge likes this.
  7. Citizen66

The sunrizer looks pretty decent too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Downloaded Alchemy last night, it does seem rather good, love granular synthesis type things.

9. Citizen66

I've got the desktop version as well. Must say, it's probably the best soft synth I've ever tinkered with. The modulation capabilities are amazing.

10. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I was going to wait till Cubasis got automation before finally buying it, but the inter-app audio implementation looks too good to miss. And automation is supposed to arrive in the next version anyway.

Note that he says audiobus a couple of times near the end by accident when he means Cubasis.

A free stand-alone and inter-app audio mono synth by Steinberg has also come out and gets shown briefly near the start of that video too.

I fear my iPad 3 is not going to have enough grunt for a lot of this stuff to be run simultaneously but there is no way I can afford a new iPad at the moment, oh well.

11. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

Caustic 3. Highly recommended. Amazing piece of software.

12. Barking_Mad

There's also a free pc version on the website.

13. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been looking at this again.... I kind of want something with a grid based layout, where you can program blocks of beats at a tempo with samples you loaded to the ipad, and then export that out and use it on something like ableton

I bet I'm asking a lot :D

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Without getting into too much detail, there should be several apps that work along those lines. Exporting it to Ableton is only trivial if you just mean export the entire composition as a single, mixed-down audio file. Some apps will let you export the details of your patterns as midi, but you'll still need to setup the samples to certain notes in Ableton, so a bit tedious.

I don't actually work this way myself so I cannot recommend an app in particular. For pattern sequencing I like Genome Midi Sequencer, using another app on the iPad to actually make the sounds. I believe the next version will have sound-making features built in but I don't know when that is due out or if it is sample based.

Anyways if you want to pursue this conversation then I'll need to check what you mean by grid based layout. A grid to trigger samples, a sequencing grid, or a grid equivalent to the clip launching stuff in ableton?

Meanwhile if you wanted to use synths rather than samples, Korg Just came out with a new iPad app called Gadget. it comes with 15 synths and build in sequencing.

15. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

What I might do this weekend is mess around with using the iPad as a controller for Ableton. Apparently the Touchable app version 2 is a major revamp that seems to have stolen most of the best bits from the push hardware and then some, just got to learn the somewhat obscure icons and it should be a dream.

16. electroplated

electroplated off minehead

edit: elbows beat me to it

17. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

18. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Really looking forward to Audiobus 2 which is due to be released tomorrow. Although the list of apps that support state saving isn't huge yet, there are just about enough to make it interesting from day 1.

20. Barking_Mad

If you want an exaple of what it can do, have a listen to this. An amazing piece of 80's Sci-Fi in a Blade Runneresque style. Brilliant!

https://soundcloud.com/thadeus-grim/neon-city-full-mix

bmd likes this.
  21. sim667

Anyone know of any apps that can be used just to trigger samples.

On our radio show we'd like to use it to drop in the jingle, and our names when the dj's swap round..... so we need to be able to load our own samples in.

Any suggestions?

22. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

http://www.audiocartwall.com

23. sim667

Oh nice..... now I've gotta make the sounds (well our dj names anyway, we got jingles :D)

24. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Starting to get excited about the next update to Cubasis, which supports automation, midi cc messages & aftertouch. Looking at their forum it sounds like it will be out on the 21st.

25. Barking_Mad

26. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

By the way I always resisted getting the iPad mini in part because I thought it might be too small for many music apps controls to work nicely. But today I had to get one for other reasons (development stuff unrelated to music), and having just tried the likes of Korg Gadget on it I have to say ooh, holding it in one hand and how light it is makes it quite a different and rather fun experience.

28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

ToneStack came out yesterday so I grabbed it and am just about to try it, will report back (I'll be using it with soft synths rather than guitar).

29. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Liking it so far, though I've not tried all the effects yet and haven't made any of the numerous in-app purchases.

This is one of the features I really like:

30. bmd

bmd you left me standing here

Anyone recommend a decent effects app? It's not for guitars. I'm going to buy the Akai iMPC Pro and Gadget next, not sure if Gadget would do the job but I don't think so.

I have most of the apps mentioned on this thread apart from Thor. I would buy it but seeing as I have a shed load of synths already that I have yet to get my head round, plus I'm getting Gadget, it seems a bit daft.

I am spending all my time on Animoog atm. Such an awesome app. Only problem is I can't seem to change timbres on it. I select one from the list on the right and highlight it on the left but nothing changes. Any ideas? Google isn't helping.