iPad Music Apps. Stick 'em in here.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by audiotech, Feb 6, 2012.

1. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Ah ok you have plenty of midi kit already, I couldnt tell from what you'd said earlier so apologies for the previous slightly patronising answers!

Ok so on the ipad side of things its just going to depend whether you are looking at the cheaper ipad 2, or the new iPad or ipad mini.

The ipad 2 has enough processing power to run music apps just fine right now but the latest ipad has a lot more beef, and given the ability to run multiple apps simultaneously via stuff like audiobus which is mentioned earlier in this thread, for longevity and flexibility years into the future I may not recommend the ipad 2 for music stuff anymore. But obviously it depends on budget.

Assuming for now that you went for the latest iPad, you'd need a combination of the following accessories:

Lightning adaptor to USB £25 http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a

E-MU USB to midi £23.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-MU-Midi-1...DT3O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356721695&sr=8-5

Or you could go for a USB to midi adaptor thats much cheaper than the E-MU one. I've seen some for just a couple of quid but I dont know for sure that they work with the ipad, but its quite possible they do.

Alternatively:

Lightning adaptor to 30 pin £30 http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02m?fnode=48

And then one of the following midi interfaces thats specifically for to the iPad 30 pin connector:

iRig Midi: around £38 http://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimed...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1356721892&sr=1-1
    Yamaha around £44 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-Midi...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1356721936&sr=1-2
    Line 6 Midi Mobilizer 2 £47.29 http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/line-6-midi-mobilizer-ii-portable-midi-interface--88844

Note that you'll need to double check whether these actually work using the lightning to 30 pin connector as the new lightning port on the ipads hasnt been out that long.

If you went for the ipad 2 then you'd only need one of those the ipad midi interfaces, no apple adaptor required.

Personally I have an ipad 3 which still has the 30 pin connector, and I wanted to be able to charge the ipad at the same time as using a midi interface. So I went for the iRig Midi because its one of the only ones that has the charging facility. But the battery life of the ipad is very good, so if this isnt an issue for you then the first combination I mentioned, the lightning to USB and E-MU USB Midi interface is cheaper and should do the job just fine as far as I know.

All of these options will give you male midi leads that will work just fine with your existing midi interface on the computer side of things.

snadge likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I should also say that there is nothing terribly wrong with using wifi midi instead, especially to start with, and save yourself £45 to £70 quid.

I've not actually tried this using a windows machine as I have a mac, but here is a site that explains how to set it up on windows:

http://www.soundprismhowto.com/howto2/index.php?show=midiwindows

snadge likes this.
  3. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Thanks for the advice and help, as I said it is only a thought at the moment and just an excuse to buy one as I have no other real reason to own one. :D

If I do, I will probably use it as a portable ideas thing to squirt those ideas to my cubase machine, so wifi midi may be fine for that.

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Although one reason to go for hardware midi is if your plans for how to use it all evolve and the ipad ends up replacing the computer for certain stages of the music creation process at least, and for example you want to hook some of your keyboards up straight to the iPad rather than via the computer.

5. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

No problem. Have you seen that a cutdown version of cubase is now available on the ipad? Think you need the more recent version of cubase on your computer to get export from the ipad to computer version though.

Personally I found the ipad easy to justify on the music front because despite spending quite a bit on ipad music apps I've still spent way less than I would otherwise have done drooling over various bits of physical music kit or desktop apps, plugins etc. Plus its so much fun.

6. junglevip

junglevip Marijuana leads to heron

Is the ipad the best platform for music software then? There seems to be a lot available, or is it just that apple-heads are enthusiastic :):)(serious question)

7. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

I'm unsure on that, maybe windows/android machines have as much support as apple but not much is being discussed about them.

8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

No, for full on music production you still want a "proper" laptop or desktop machine. PC or Mac.

Citizen66 likes this.
  9. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Which most people have, it's those 'on the move' moments we want to work with though.

So looking at available apps for all platforms I see that apple apps are ahead of the other two.

10. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

I would be wary of comparing the iPad2 and iPad3 when it comes to music making. The iPad3 is taking a lot of processing and battery power to drive the retina display - the only major difference to the iPad2. Not much there for musicians I would have thought? Therefore, to me an iPad2 would be a good choice for musicians right now and to also to save a few bob over the iPad3.

However, the iPad4 does pack more power using the A6 processor:
    http://ipad.about.com/od/Tablet_Computers_eReaders/a/iPad-2-Vs-iPad-3-Which-Is-The-Better-Buy.htm

11. junglevip

Oh thats ok then I hate apple stuff. Logic on the G4 was good though:D

12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Just to clarify that I was comparing the ipad 2 to the ipad 4 in my earlier comments, since the ipad 3 is no longer available. I only mentioned the ipad 3 at another point because its what I happen to have and I was going on about 30 pin vs lightning connector midi interface options.

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

There is no doubt that full computers have way more depth and power than any of the mobile platforms.

Reasons that this ipad thread is prominent here compared to discussion about software for other platforms is that its all still relatively new, its fun, its easy to talk about or find youtube videos about the apps that are fairly short, and many of the apps are cheap enough that people are prepared to take a punt trying out more apps as they emerge or are noticed. Whereas on the desktop/laptop I imagine many people are well settled into a particular DAW etc.

There are a few areas beyond mobility where I think tablets are actually better or at least potentially better than traditional computer platforms for music making, but I'll save that one for another day.

As for android and windows RT, although there are some android music apps the ipad got so far ahead that this is one area android wont catch up or surpass quickly, especially given some of the music stuff apple put in at an os level and the number of hardware & software companies that jumped on board. And windows RT is presently too new and a bit of a joke for most sorts of apps, let alone music ones. Full windows 8 tablets are more comparable to laptops, with the same sort of strengths and weaknesses, so its hard to really include them in this discussion. At least not unit some windows apps have elements deliberately designed to suit touchscreens.

Given how nicely the iOS music app situation has evolved it is a real shame that its an OS linked to one manufacturers products rather than something broader. To those who want to moan here about Apple, I can understand and appreciate where Apple hate comes from, but on the other hand who gives a shit whether you use one or not, nobody is forcing you to get one and you arent the ones developing the range of great music apps for the platform. Music app developers flocked to the platform in sufficient numbers to make it all rather interesting, and I intend to spend more time in future using their apps than going blah blah here whenever confronted with platform sectarianism.

snadge and junglevip like this.
  14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Oops sorry for ranting, was hungry and slightly under the weather there.

15. junglevip

Top posting, more of it please!

16. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

You can use the iPad as an external sound source. It doesn't compete with using a pc as an all in one workstation but has its uses as a part of a setup or to doodle away with when on the move.

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Uh oh, I feel tempted to sail on the seas of cheese.

The product itself is probably a little bit better than that absolutely terrible advert, but its still a toy. Something thats actually more like an instrument would be the You Rock guitar at twice the price, but half the appeal of me getting the cheesy All-Star Guitar is to develop my own app to use the touchscreen on the ipad.

18. junglevip

19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

OK I tried their app which is free, and its not that bad. And I kind of wanted a Kitara but cant afford one and dont trust such wacky instrument companies to stay in business or put enough effort into evolving the software. So this seems like a cheap alternative that will give me something to do on the ipad app development front. And I cant play a real guitar so I wont be looking for it to achieve things that only a proper guitar can do anyway. It should arrive tomorrow, I got it for £99 from amazon.

This is the Kitara that costs more like £650-£750, albeit not requiring an ipad:

Still the usual problem I've moaned about before of looking like a bit of a tool when using newfangled electronic instruments but since I'm not exactly planning to play live in front of humanoids and am getting too old to care about being trendy, and I have too much time on my hands and lots of nice synths, I thought I may as well embrace the electrocheese.

20. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

this thread has given me the bug to start messing about with sound again. just bought the novation impulse 25 to ease myself back into it.

elbows likes this.
  21. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Further research indicated that I was behind the curve and the Kitara makers have already gone wrong as a company. Apparently the original creator has bought back the rights and has been promising a new model, but there is no way I would risk getting one even if I had the money.

So I went ahead and got the cheapo all-star guitar that works with the ipad. It arrived on Monday :) As anticipated it is very plasticy and cheesy, and when 'simulating' a real guitar its not as much fun as it some imagine it should be. But thats not what Im going to be using it for anyway. Despite ipad programming rather doing my head in, I am very happy to report that after 2 x 3 hours sessions swearing at a computer screen my app is already working in its most basic form, and I can now get into the fun of experimenting with different modes of operation. My app takes the midi notes that are sent by the plastic fret keys, and then sends them on to synths etc when the screen is touched in various ways. At the moment it just bangs out a single note whenever a fresh touch is applied to the screen, and moving the finger left or right sends midi modulation wheel messages. I havent decided how I'm going to handle chords etc yet, but I dont want it to work like a crap simulation of guitar strings.

22. audiotech

"...plastic fret keys.."

As a guitarist, bloody sacrilege! Nevermind this simulator nonsense, you have to go through pain and lots of it to become a proficient guitarist.

For info on apps and specifically any announced drop in price of music apps (including freebie's), I can recommend downloading 'appsfire' from the apps store. Very useful indeed and it will save you a few bob into the bargain.

23. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Yes and thats one of the reasons that fake guitar companies are usually doomed, people who can actually play a real guitar are usually offended or appalled in some way. Let alone the loss of all the important expression and nuances of sound that come from the loss of proper strings.

My reasons for exploring this stuff have very little to do with real guitars, save for the practicalities of how the instrument is held. I wanted something that would let me use the ipad with one hand and other controls with another, and that would let me stand up. The basic shape of a guitar is perfect for that, but the obvious drawback is the cries of sacrilege that you demonstrated so well, it will be hard for people not to compare it to a real guitar and get wound up!

24. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

SynthX got updated to work with the plastic guitar, I havent tried it yet.

LiveFX came out (includes audiobus support) :)

25. audiotech

The Cubasis DAW app mentioned earlier in the thread has been updated with support now for audiobus.

26. audiotech

iAmDrums app is free presently. Pretty good standard drum sets, including a step sequencer. Also included are step patterns to use and edit and in app purchases (69p) of further drum-kits if you need them. Good quality sampled sounds, which you can mix, add velocity and user friendly interface and graphics.

27. audiotech

Doh, no transport controls! How did I miss that?

28. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

29. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I like the sound of it, I do use traktor on my mac, and shamelessly do use the sync button...... But as an app I would have preferred to have the option to stand alone dj, or work as effects trigger or a remix deck for the copy of it I have for mac.

30. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Use Traktor OSC and you can do just that (kind of).

http://ipad-dj.noelc.com/ipad-dj/touchOSC-templates-for-Traktor.html

I tried to do this, but simply couldn't get my iPad and Laptop to pair on a private network (or whatever it is called), would only work over WiFi. And given WiFi isn't that reliable in clubs, that stopped me right there.