iPad Music Apps. Stick 'em in here.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by audiotech, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

2. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

I remembered one nine and a two was in there. :)

Citizen66 likes this.
  3. audiotech

Not had a close look at it as yet, nevertheless, Steinberg Cubasis has launched an app for the iPad. Lots of 'virtual instruments', including keyboard, drum pad. MIDI. Price £34.99

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

lol @ the bloke at the start of their video, yuck.

For some reason I associate cubase with sucking all the fun out of pc music making, but this opinion was admittedly formed long ago.

5. audiotech

Indeed, I understand your take on the bloke at the start of the video.

I took the plunge, being a user of Cubase on the PC over the years. I think it's sound engine and MIDI capability's are top notch. Yamaha took over the reigns of Steinberg a few years back, which from a musical standpoint I thought then was an interesting development and likely to lead to improvements in this sequencer.

First impressions are favourable. Cubasis for the iPad seems relatively easy to get around the various control surfaces and the virtual instruments are of good quality. Yet to see how it handles audio.

electroplated likes this.
  6. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I've bought the Mrs an ipad for christmas, on the understanding that the whole family will get to use it. I have a feeling that she'll be having to fight to get it back once I get some of these apps on there.

7. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Just been reading up on the Akai Synthstation 49 and it would have been *AMAZING* if they'd actually bothered to put some knobs and sliders on it. :mad: As it stands, it's perfect for their own pants app on the market and then half a controller keyboard for anything else. Proper annoying.

Here it is with the Animoog app:

8. audiotech

I can see one knob on that Akai controller keyboard and a couple of wheels to control pitch and modulation. Then there's the fact that you can use the touchscreen of the iPad itself. Reading a couple of reviews of this the build quality seems to be the main bug-bear.

9. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

More the fact that, although it's brilliant for the ipad it probably isn't so much for other stuff. Anyway, going to get a controller keyboard and get back into it all again. This thread has given me the bug. :cool:

10. audiotech

Well, have a small (16 seconds, or so) loop going on this, made up of two MIDI tracks (house drum 'n' bass sounds) and two audio tracks (mono), recorded via 'apogee jam', using a 'microKorg' synth. The result is a nice mix going on, with the use of compression, EQ and a bit of reverb on each channel. Has a nice bottom end to it. No problems with processing power limits as yet, but there again I've not pushed it. Easy to get up and running with this app I've found.

11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

If you can live with small keys then the iRig keyboard isnt a terrible option, since it has pitch & mod wheels and is powered by the ipad. I've resisted for now and gone for the flexibility of an iRig midi dongle for the ipad that enables the ipad to be charged at the same time. I wont know how good it is till christmas though as its a present.

12. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

All the Korg apps support audiobus now :)

13. audiotech

Indeedy, spotted that this morning on the apps store update. It's like a rave in here now, :cool: well, apart from the dancing bit, as I'm flat on me back with a very painful muscle spasm. No climbing down chimneys for me this year. :D

14. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I am unable to resist this app any longer.

audiotech and electroplated like this.
  15. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Started to get tempted by cubasis and then noticed how much was missing in terms of being able to record & edit stuff like midi cc controllers including mod wheel. At least thats the impression I got.

16. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I think the app store update shutdown starts tomorrow so I'll be able to stop getting distracted by new offerings & updates and get on with using some of it for at least a week :D

17. audiotech

They're very clear It's a cut-down version of Cubase (it needs to be to run as an app on an iPad) and stress the mobile part of this app. This latter feature is what I'm after and let's not forget you can export what's been recorded in Cubasis into Cubase on a PC as a project to do the things you highlight and more. This apparent seamless, integration with Cubase (I've yet to try this out) is very useful for my recording needs. As already pointed out, the recording I've done with this is favourable.

18. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I'm not knocking all the stuff it can do well, and I was expecting plenty to be missing. I was just surprised that midi mod wheel recording doesnt seem to be there, which really destroys its usefulness for my scenario. I kinda wanted to try it but with that missing there is no point for me, so I'm now looking at other options including genome midi sequencer and something a bit tacky-looking but functional called Meteor.

I can certainly see the attraction for people focussed more on audio than midi, and for those who have cubase on a proper computer this is an exciting product.

19. audiotech

I've just checked and the mod wheel does record in Cubasis on the iPad, in real time and post-record, if you want to edit a MIDI instrument later. The MIDI matrix is similar, with velocity control etc.

Edit: 'Animoog'; the latest 'audiobus' update.

20. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Thanks very much for checking, I was tempted to ask you to but from things I read on their forum and the manual I ended up concluding it didnt. I guess I got lost in the jargon somewhere.

Yay @ Animoog audiobus update, thats the one I was really hoping would make it out before the itunes store xmas freeze and it has, by the skin of its teeth :)

21. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Grain Science also just updated to include audiobus support :)

22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

An official video of the new stuff in Animoog v2:

audiotech likes this.
  23. audiotech

Animoog V2, with Grateful Dead samples! Weirdness! Four track recorder now available as an in-app purchase. Well, it is Xmas. :)

Thought I'd lost a lot of work I'd put into an original track using Cubasis. The whole lot (four separate, 3 minute tracks, audio and MIDI) disappeared completely. Noticed the battery was low, plugged the iPad back in to re-charge and did a 'restore' in Cubasis. Still all there! Phew, I'll try and avoid letting the battery run low on the iPad the next time. Now, time for a rest.

24. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

The four track recorder is free for a while and the Grateful Dead stuff is £2.99, I havent shelled out for it yet.

As far as I know the app store is now frozen for a week so there wont be any new releases, updates or price changes of any apps over that period. More than enough audiobus compatibility updates came out to keep me happy till 2013. Then I'm sure I will start hankering for more, especially beat-related apps, more apps that can act as effects/filters and a couple more recording app options.

25. audiotech

A work in progress. Recorded in Cubasis on an iPad2, with the working title 'Penny Red'. :D I will be recruiting a female vocalist I know to add some sparkle!

26. junglevip

junglevip Marijuana leads to heron

27. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Over on the ipad apps thread in the mobile & tablets forum, this question has been asked, and I suggested talking about it on this thread instead.

I'm a bit tired right now but the simple answer is yes you can.

You can send midi using a wireless network but this introduces a little bit of latency (delay) which isnt really ideal when it comes to music, so many people choose to use traditional wired midi instead.

Do you already have a midi interface on your computer? If not then you will need one. There are many different options, including dirt cheap usb midi interfaces.

Or if you have a musical eyboatrd that connects to your computer via usb and also has midi ports on the back, you can use that.

Then on the ipad side of things you also need a midi interface. You can either get one thats designed specifically for the ipad (eg the iRig Midi) or you can buy the 'ipad camera connection kit' from Apple which gives you a USB port, and then use a standard USB midi interface or midi keyboard that supports USB.

Depending on exactly which combination you go for, you may need to buy a cheap female-female midi connector that allows you to connect two male midi cables together, since the USB midi kits usually have male midi cables built into them rather than female midi sockets.

Another thing to be aware of is that the latest ipads have a different connetor on them, so if you go for an ipad that isnt the cheapest ipad 2 then you'll need the appropriate apple camera connection kit, or another adaptor that turns the new lightning port on the ipad into the old-fashioned ipad connector.

As you can see from earlier posts in this thread, there are many fine music apps for the ipad. A great munmber of them support midi these days, including the ability to send midi from the app to other apps on the ipad, or to external midi hardware, or to a computer running a midi sequencer, DAW or other apps. Likewise you can send midi the other way, enabling a midi keyboard or a computer sequencer to play the synths etc that are running on your ipad. Obviously the devil is in the detail on this one so feel free to ask more questions.

snadge likes this.
  28. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I should probably also say that certain midi functionality was only added to korg apps very recently, so I will probably need to double-check some of the details. In particular I think the kaoss pad is pretty limited when it comes to midi.

Also note that all this midi stuff doesnt actually send the sound itself to and from your computer. More devilish detail to explore on that one at some point if required.

29. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I've been using this series of videos to learn about various apps without just rushing ahead and buying them. This is the latest episode detailing samplr, borderlands and ipolysix, but there are 19 previous ones.

30. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Yeah didn't realise this thread was here, should have looked harder.:)

I already have a midiman 4*4 USB Midi interface on my PC running Cubase, alongside quite a few hardware synths/samplers/Midi-CV converters for the older analog stuff I have.

None of my Keyboards have USB on them, so would need a device that outputs a male midi lead to plug into either a thru socket on my keyboard utilising it's own midi channel or direct into the midiman, atm I am using a 61 key Korg Wavestation as my master keyboard.