1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iOS 11 will 'render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete'

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Jun 6, 2017.

1. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Had an iphone...once.
    I hated the whole apple account nonsense...from day one...not being able to buy it and use it without setting it up online and having to get that stupid apple account. Made the mistake of buying :facepalm: some music through my apple account. Not much...but just a few pieces.
    I got really sick of the phone....mainly the size of it.
    Cleared it...did a factory reset and was about to give it to someone when I heard that your skype app or your social contact equivalent app could still be phoned even on the newly reset apple. A friend of mine sorted that out...
    This was an iphone 4...so it's a while ago...but I doubt I would want to have another one.
    I've had samsung galaxy phones since.
    Droppes one in the toilet last year and it's working still. Great camera...great free apps.... I've not had any problem with an sg any number. :D

Looked at the Samsung tablets ... was thinking of gettinv one for my birthday . But I have a little 7" screen android tablet...it works fine. Also the kindle fire is great...so I'm actually not in need of one. And the sg phone has the full Microsoft suite of word, excel, powerpoint etc so I use it instead of a laptop.....quite often...

Not sure it's all relevant but I think apple are quite a greedy lot...and this new development makes me think they clearly just want to make more sales.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Tbf an Android device is at its best with a Google account.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  3. bubblesmcgrath

At least it's not compulsory...

4. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

This is true, It's pretty standard nowadays to be almost forced into setting up an account to properly use a mobile device that is connected to the internet.

Keeping track of accounts and passwords can be a bit if a faff and is off putting to a lot of folks. On windows and android you can sort of get away with not having to have an account, but you can't install any store apps without an account. With Apple I think it's possible to use an ipad without needing a Apple Id as long as you are ok with the delivered apps and don't need to install anything else. With an iphone you have to have an appleid account.
    This might be true, companies are out to make profits, but that is not something particularly unique to Apple. They're all at it. It is how this capitalist system works, profits before ethics (if you can get away with it). All of the big boys have been guilty of some dodgy practices and skullduggery to try and stop competition and maximise their profits, avoid paying taxes, sweatshop labour etc etc. I don't believe any of them are without fault.

Seven Reasons Why Europe's Antitrust Cases Against Google Are A Big Deal

U.S. appeals court revives antitrust lawsuit against Apple

https://www.wired.com/2000/11/microsoft-7/

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/15/amazon-has-some-serious-anti-trust-issues/

Terix to pay Oracle $58M in settlement over Solaris support

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/technology/facebook-european-union-fine-whatsapp.html?_r=0

Vintage Paw and bubblesmcgrath like this.
  5. bubblesmcgrath

When I said they're a greedy lot....I was speaking from personal experience particularly with regard to their chargers which change with new models and dont last as long as one would like. They wont sell a universal model because their apple version is special.
    It bugged me also that apps were not free.
    I use plenty apps on my sg phone and only opt for free ones. For me personally I've been able to find a free version for android of any app I've wanted. And I can put all my books on my phone without faffing about.

For me...my iphone experience was not great. The SG is a better fit for me and has worked out to be easier and less expensive in every way.

6. PaoloSanchez

The Apple chargers and lightning cables do seem to be overpriced imo, but having said that you can buy alternative cables like Belkin (quality may vary...and some don't work). There was a bit of a hoo haa when Apple replaced their old 30 pin wide "ipod" connector with the new fangled lightning one. USB-C was not available at the time and they chose not to go with micro-usb, and they have been criticised for that, and that criticism might have some merit. Although in my opinion lightning is a better connector than micro-usb. They may choose to go with usb-c for their iphones and ipads in future models as they have done in their laptops.

Even though I don't own an iphone myself I have bought several for relatives and have ended up being "support". All of the apps that I installed on those phones were free, so I'm not sure what you mean by "apps are not free", because there are plenty of free apps. There are also lots of paid apps, but it's the same on Android.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  7. bubblesmcgrath

It's 5 years since I had an iphone...and the hassle of getting out of apple has put me off...
    Maybe there were free apps then? I just didnt find any I wanted.
    I'm not 100% happy with Samsung but I do think I'll stick with android in all future phone purchases...

8. PaoloSanchez

Perhaps it was harder to move across 5 years ago, but it's quite easy to move content from between mobile OS's nowadays, but it can also depend on the apps. Photos and contacts are the main things that people transfer, relatively straightforward. If you've got paid itunes music that can be uploaded to google play. It is not unusual for software that you've paid for on one platform to not be transferable to another (eg you can't play XBOX Fifa 2017 on PS4)

As far as I know there have always been useful free apps on both iOS and Android, and mobile developers more often than not release iOS apps before Android for various reasons, and apparently better quality even though Android has over 80% of the mobile market share. I think one of the reasons is that even though everyone wants freebies/something for nothing, it actually costs money to develop and maintain software, and iOS users generate more revenue than Android users do so it's more worth their while because they don't get paid as much for their Android apps.
    [​IMG]
    Source

I currently do not have my own phone and have borrowed my wife's OP3T. I've never been a big mobile phone user and I'm not overly keen on either Android or iOS tbh, I would prefer Microsoft to get it's act together and make Windows a viable alternative on mobile devices. Maybe that will happen when Corbyn becomes PM. ;)

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That article is totally out of date:
    Android app revenue on track to beat iOS in 2017

And in the news now:
    Apple controversially taking 30% cut of donations sent via Chinese social network apps to content creators

10. PaoloSanchez

Er, it isn't actually. Of course Androids overall revenue should be higher than iOS with it having over 80% mobile market share, however iOS still gets more money per user and the developers get more for their apps and they still develop first and more often better quality stuff on iOS. If you read the article you linked to you would have seen :-

upload_2017-6-9_22-58-15.png
    Source

Anyway, like I said, I'm waiting for that Windows mobile revival to shut up all the Android/iOS fanbois. :p

11. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I don't believe a word of it.
    I do believe that Apple receive a greater revenue, but not the app maker.
    On the initial app sale, obviously, but on subsequent micro transactions (which is where the money is), I fail to see how Apple can possibly win.

12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

More details here

iOS torches Android when it comes to developer profits

You dont believe that those crazy iOS users with money to burn on their phones don't spend more money on apps too ?

Alex

13. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Does it really matter which OS has more money spent on it?

You're not a better sort of anti-capitalist for choosing a product with a lower profit margin or something. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Winot and mwgdrwg like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

16. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

I just use lightening cables from the £1 shop for my ipad mini, they work. I'm not forking out for an Apple one, I hate itunes too, but theres absolutely no reason why you should need to actually use it, either.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're actually defending Apple taking a cut of donations?

18. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

They are commercial payments, the software developers aren't charities. Why would Apple host their products for free?

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apple are already taking their juicy cut from the app sales but now they're taking a fat cut of any donations on top that users wish to give to the developers. It's like a rich restaurant boss grabbing tips meant for the waiters.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  20. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

No it's not Apple's support turn over is actually not much different than Androids. Try getting the latest Android OS on a phone four years old.

21. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I think you're missing the point.

No security updates for a 2 year old phone. Security updates are still being released for Android 4.4, because Google acknowledge the fact that a lot of people are still using phones with the KitKat OS. I'm pretty sure Apple are also aware that the majority of iPhone users are still using phones that Apple have decided they will no longer be supporting.

NoXion likes this.
  22. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

86% of iOS users are on the latest version.

App Store - Support - Apple Developer

Alex

23. PaoloSanchez

Once again, this is a bit of a hyped up exaggeration, and it is also not something that is unique to Apple.

upload_2017-6-18_19-6-55.png
    What is this bullsh*t, Google? Nexus phones starved of security fixes after just three years

What??? You better check your figures. I'm pretty damn sure that the majority of iPhone users are NOT using phones that will be unsupported.

upload_2017-6-18_19-3-32.png
    upload_2017-6-18_19-5-6.png
    iOS Version Stats - David Smith

Attached Files: