1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview under caution

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Mell, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Mell

Mell New Member

Hi been sent for an interview under caution so scared any help or advice please it’s for housing benefit I work but claim wtcredit I got investigated by HMRC taking them to tribunal then I come home from work to the dwp letter please help x

2. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Elephants think I’m cute #brap

Under police caution?

If so, get legal representation, be prepared to no comment everything even if you’re innocent :thumbs:

SpookyFrank likes this.
  3. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

What exactly does the letter say?

Mell and Badgers like this.
  4. Mell

Mell New Member

I have a solicitor it’s a dwp for housing benefit interview x

Badgers likes this.
  5. Mell

Mell New Member

Badgers likes this.
  6. Mell

Mell New Member

It’s says I haven’t reported a change in circumstances and I need legal advice as I will be read my rights I am so scared x

Badgers likes this.
  7. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

More precisely. Verbatim, ideally.

Badgers likes this.
  8. Mell

Mell New Member

It just says your invited to a voluntary interview under caution says I will be read my rights as they suspect I have not reported a change in circumstances my solicitor has the letter x

Badgers likes this.
  9. alan_

alan_ Well-Known Member

An interview under caution is a fairly standard procedure carried out by DWP or Council Housing where they think they may have something on you that may lead to further action. From the outset it is designed to intimidate, from the warnings given and the possible tape recordings to the manner in which it is conducted. They have no powers to arrest you or even make you comply with the interview (they can of course stop the benefit if you don't comply), but it would obviously be helpful for you to know what it is about and make it go away. Only you know if there is anything dodgy going on if indeed anything is. It may be a malicious phone call from some sick arsehole. You can take someone else in with you. If you are worried you could get onto citizens advice (I know it is not easy) or try one of the high st. solicitors who give the first consultation for free to assess your problem.
    They rely on you shitting yourself to put you off balance and maybe even scare you off your legal entitlements.

Idris2002, Riklet, Lazy Llama and 7 others like this.
  10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I might be able to help if you could set it out verbatim.

Celyn, Corax and tim like this.
  11. Mell

Mell New Member

My solicitor has the letter they don’t give anything away it just says under caution I am entitled to legal representation and I am suspected of not reporting a change in circumstances and my interview is the 20 February at ten thirty am x

12. Mell

Mell New Member

I have a solicitor he told me to go home and relax I am a nurse work nights on calls and my ex husband sleeps over whilst I am on shift he suspects it’s malicious we have a disabled daughter and son between us so he is a very hands on dad we are grown ups acting in a responsible manner for the sake of our children I claim tax credits someone reported me to them I am going to tribunal with them they stopped my money then reported me to dwp I am on the sick from work with stress I can’t pay my nursery fees I am so frustrated frightened and scared x

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  13. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Its Hammock Time

Have you had a change in circumstances and if so did you report it? :)

14. Mell

Mell New Member

No not at all x

ice-is-forming likes this.
  15. ice-is-forming

So maybe try doing what your solicitor has suggested and relax? :) I don't know about you, but being wrongly accused of something is a real trigger for me...

You're a new poster so the forum that focuses on mental health issues, stress etc isn't open to you yet. Keep posting and it will be, there's lots of great, empathetic advice there. Iirc it's open after 50 posts. You'll also be able to access the parenting forum and quite a few posters have children with special needs so hang around..

Wilf, A380, Mell and 4 others like this.
  16. Mell

Mell New Member

Thankyou I myself suffer from severe anxiety documenting by my doctors I am so scared and frightened I am drinking way more than I should I am a mess x

17. ice-is-forming

Do you have any strategies that you can use (other than self medication) :)

18. Mell

Mell New Member

I don’t know what else to do I have never done a thing wrong in my life all I can say is the fear in the pit of my stomach and the stress I am feeling is unreal never been so scared in my life evan though I have done nothing wrong but reading on google your guilty no matter what that is what frightens me more x

19. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

Here. Have a full stop .

fuck seals and Saratoga like this.
  20. tim

tim Well-Known Member

You've done nothing wrong so don't let these bastards get to you

Saratoga and Mell like this.
  21. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

The drinking will just make the anxiety worse the next day, so best try and avoid treating it with that.

Other than that, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about. Follow the excellent advice others have already given have a cup of tea, and... breathe. :)

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  22. Libertad

Libertad Sweetie

Unhelpful. Pick your targets.

23. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Hi Mell

It's unfortunately quite common to get called in for an interview about a supposed change in circumstances which you haven't reported, and frequently they are the result of a malicious informant.

There's a whole thread here of similar problems, most of which were eventually resolved without any prosecution when it was demonstrated that there had been a mistake. I say this more to reassure you that you're not alone in this situation than as a suggestion that you should read it all, though you might want to do that.

If your circumstances haven't actually changed, then you should be able to sort things out, especially if you already have a solicitor to help you.

It's understandable that you're concerned in this situation though, especially if your condition is one which is heightened by worry and anxiety (I'm guessing here, but I know 1st hand about this).

Try to make use of all sources of support available to you, including continuing to post here if that helps, and try to believe that you will get through this. It won't necessarily be easy and it may take time, but you can do it.

Good luck

Wilf, Miss-Shelf, marty21 and 8 others like this.
  24. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

You really need to listen to your solicitor and calm down.
    You've done nothing to worry about.
    Take some time to sort your anxiety maybe see your doctor and talk to them about this.
    But let your solicitor deal with this.
    And try to just take it one day at a time.

Miss-Shelf and Mell like this.
  25. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Wakey, Wakey, Eggs & Bakey!

It's usually not the Police in my experience (working in local Govt). It might be with someone from the fraud team (might have a different name). When our benefits or environmental health people do 'interviews under caution' they are usually taped/audio recorded and they always have to turn the CCTV off, so make sure they do that Mell - What I do know is that if you haven't don'e 'owt wrong (according to their system) it'll be nothing more than a stressful waste of your time. If you can take someoe with you for support, please do so, they can take notes for you or something - if they are a professional helper in some capacity (legal, benefits traimned etc. that kind of thing) all the better.

Something I do know is that people, for some reason, do occasionally phone up and make shit up. A woman I know who used to work in Local Govt has been investigated 4 times and brought in for these interviews due to what are now thought to be malicious/vexatious phone calls from what they think is either an ex partner or ex-in-law :rolleyes: So, albeit rare, than can and does happen.

In many cases, though, it is just a case of a misunderstanding/misconstruance on someon'es part and it can all be sorted informally.

Does your HB get paid direct to a landlord?

Please don't worry too much, talk to us, talk to friends, talk to organisations that can help - ask here if you need suggestions

As others have said above, sounds like you have nothing to worry about :) have a brew instead of a drink, drink. ;)

e2a: typos etc - bad brain morning - I can't see them all to correct them, bear with me.

26. Mell

Mell New Member

Thankyoufor your support it means a lot x

27. Throbbing Angel

no worries - it just occurred to me that some people want t audio record their interviews - if you want to do that you'll need to tell them in advance, not on the day :)

Celyn likes this.
  28. Mell

Mell New Member

They have said in the letter it will be recorded.

29. Throbbing Angel

Aye, but I mean if you want to take a recording away too

30. Mell

Mell New Member

Aww I never thought of doing that what scares me most is these people assume your guilt without any reasonable evidence or explanation from what I have read of others experience I know I have done nothing wrong I wouldn’t risk my job but I already feel guilty by the way they have treat me I don’t know what is the best tactic to take with these people.