Interrail - Anyone dunnit in europe?

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by sim667, Nov 26, 2012.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

I've been trying to plan an easter holiday, basically I had my heart set on Vietnam, but its just too expensive.

So im thinking maybe I should do a couple of week tour of europe, some cities I havent been to before, and was contemplating booking a hotel in 3 or 4 cities, and using interrail to get between them (I haven't decided which ones yet). I quite fancy granada, but beyond that im not too sure.

Is interrail the best way of using multi country trains in europe, or are there better alterinatives? I've never travelled long distances by train abroad, apart from a bit in china.

2. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time Well-Known Member

I took the overnight Paris-Madrid and the High Speed Madrid-Cordoba trains this summer and can wholeheartedly recommend both. Not sure about the cheapest way to do it though as we just bought as we went.

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

sim667 likes this.
  4. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

No idea what it costs these days - but in the 80s it was a nice cheap way of seeing Europe. We used to take night trains to save on accommodation - German trains pretty comfy while French trains were the worst.
    I'm too old & my back's too fucked to rough it like that now but enjoyed it at the time. :)

5. sim667

I've been looking at a 10 day ticket...... 5 trains over ten days, means I could do 3-4 cities quite easily..... thats £221

6. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone post tenebras lux

Yep, went interrailing in 88 with two mates down through France, Italy, Yugoslavia (of the famous Yugoslavian bouncing cheese) then across Greece and down to Istanbul. Then back up into Germany, Denmark to meet up with a Danish gymnast friend of mine and finally down to Paris and back up to London. Fantastic way to spend a month.

tim likes this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Russian trains worse than french ime, memories of horrible overnight journey from moscow to vilnius

8. sim667

Im thinking of budapest - vienna - Venice - Milan - Bern

i've only got ten days y'see.

9. goldenecitrone

Have you been to Rome and Florence before then?

10. sim667

No neither.

11. goldenecitrone

Florence is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited. Definitely worth a visit if you're passing through Italy. Mind you, after Venice it might just be overload.

12. sim667

I could make a change, I have been to Venice :)

13. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Badgers likes this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

15. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Yep. I did that in the 80’s. Great time. Another affordable experience cut off by the Tories. They really don’t like education, health or travel for the oiks.

16. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

17. skyscraper101

DJWrongspeed and Badgers like this.
  18. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

The interrail or uk equivalent costs about £600 for a month's travel, could someone use this for their monthly commute in the uk? It wouldn't save me any money but someone who pays a few grand a month might be tempted, what is to stop them doing this?

19. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I think you have to be under 25.

20. MsHopper

MsHopper New Member

21. skyscraper101

I thought people of all ages could do inter rail? No doubt there’s restrictions like off peak travel though.

22. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

IIRC you can only use Interrail in the UK if you’re from outside the UK.

Here you go:

Travel in your own country

marty21 likes this.
  23. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

So a French person working in the UK could use it to get to work in the uk ?

24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Dunno - just residual memory from interrailing (29 years ago :eek:)

25. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I think if it's only 2 weeks probably a couple of cheap flights and buses are more practical. Perhaps add a few train journeys as well.

Europe is an infinitely dense cultural place so be wary of taking on too much.

26. iamwithnail

iamwithnail Well-Known Member

Generally, unless you're quite assiduous about using it, it's cheaper to just buy train tickets than use interrail; trade off is for convenience and not having to buy tickets, although often have to do reservations for the intercities.

As an example, when we take my mum to Budapest and Vienna later in the year, (2.5 hours between em on the jet rail, 3 hours and a bit on 'regular' trains ), tickets for four of us to go first class (mum's in her 70s so figured comfort was good) were 114euros. Was something like 70e for regular tickets on railjet, and about 40 on the slower train. It's reasonably hard to make the costs stack up to just buying the tickets.

27. Gaia

Gaia Urban's Village Idiot

No, because they would be deemed to be a UK resident and, therefore like UK natives, would be limited to just 2 journeys, basically it's a tourist pass and that would mean an outward and a return trip. Less confusing info here: InterRail pass guide 2019 | How InterRail passes work, reservations & supplements (worth bookmarking Mark's site if you use trains frequently).

ETA: InterRail will end in the UK after Brexit. :mad::snarl::(

28. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

No it won’t, as already made clear in this very thread. And it was never anything to do with Brexit or the EU.

29. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Just did an Interrail trip around various bits of the south of France using a five-day one country pass. Having to reserve Intercites as well as TGV is a bit of a swizz given how old some of them trains look, but it was very convienient just to get on random TER services and the views out of the window were stunning (especially the bit of the line between Narbonne and Collioure).

Does anyone know how the compensation works when using an Interrail pass though? The TGV I came home on was 80 minutes late getting into Paris as it broke down between Valence and Lyon; I know the regular ticket holders would get a voucher but does that apply if you have only paid the ten euro reservation fee as well?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.